Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Very interested in this. I heard someone in Canada was doing a similar thing, but it sounds like Jase really knows what he's talking about.

A thought comes to mind.....

Is it possible to have two ECU's and swap them from a regular one to a re-mapped one? Could a person buy an extra ECU, send it to Jase for the updates and then just replace it with their stock ECU when he ships it back? This would allow you to switch back, send it in for re-mapping again if needed without downtime, etc.

Good question/idea!
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just sent you a PM Jase.
    Of course you have ! Now why doesn't THAT surprise me

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Of course you have ! Now why doesn't THAT surprise me

Pete
    What, you feeling neglected Pete?!? Haven't I sent you a PM lately?

It's just that I've been busy - Did the Silo Art Ride the other day (you can look it up on facebook if you want, or I can send you your very own PM! ) From my place near Adelaide it worked out at something just over 1000 km in just under 12 hours (inc time out for photo & pit stops etc) which I reckon is pretty good for a worn out & busted ex-service old fart like me, especially since we hadta do the first 400 odd km riding in a fairly wet & thick fog on soggy roads just when the roos were moving along all the verges out there.... the Spyder impressed with its handling of the marginal roads & its avoidance braking as always, while the 2wheeler hadta be somewhat more careful; but once the fog lifted & we could push on a bit, I was pretty hard pressed keeping up with the somewhat older bloke I was riding with, especially on those loooong straights out there - a few extra ponies & a bit better travelling range between the available gas stops would've made it a lot easier!

Check out the happy snaps below (damn, somehow pics 2 & 3 are in the wrong sequence, swap them to get the order right!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Very interested in this. I heard someone in Canada was doing a similar thing, but it sounds like Jase really knows what he's talking about.

A thought comes to mind.....

Is it possible to have two ECU's and swap them from a regular one to a re-mapped one? Could a person buy an extra ECU, send it to Jase for the updates and then just replace it with their stock ECU when he ships it back? This would allow you to switch back, send it in for re-mapping again if needed without downtime, etc.
    Hi
    This is a great idea and this is what i do with the seadoo and some of the can-am guys.
    The only problem is Brp in its greatest wisdom chops and changes the firmware/software so much between years that we would need more than 1 ecu to use as a exchange.
    The Bosch ecu is very smart and holds so much info about a particular model that if we installed it on another model we run risks of the bike not running correctly,faults coming on incorrect mapping etc, i wish it was easier.
    I do try and make it as quick and as painless as possible but in saying that i will always take my time once i have the ecu here and my mapping software on to make sure everything is correct and i give my customers the best (and safe) remaps avaliable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I Thought I Read Recently

That Cowtown USA(Kevin) is working on an ECU remap????? Anyone else heard about this?????
    Cowtown fits the Authorized Dealer piece of the equation. Just don't know how the factory and/or extended warranty(ies) would look at it????
    Can anyone else confirm this????
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It's just that I've been busy - Did the Silo Art Ride the other day (you can look it up on facebook if you want, or I can send you your very own PM! ) From my place near Adelaide it worked out at something just over 1000 km in just under 12 hours (inc time out for photo & pit stops etc) which I reckon is pretty good for a worn out & busted ex-service old fart like me, especially since we hadta do the first 400 odd km riding in a fairly wet & thick fog on soggy roads just when the roos were moving along all the verges out there.... the Spyder impressed with its handling of the marginal roads & its avoidance braking as always, while the 2wheeler hadta be somewhat more careful; but once the fog lifted & we could push on a bit, I was pretty hard pressed keeping up with the somewhat older bloke I was riding with, especially on those loooong straights out there - a few extra ponies & a bit better travelling range between the available gas stops would've made it a lot easier!

Check out the happy snaps below (damn, somehow pics 2 & 3 are in the wrong sequence, swap them to get the order right!)
    Hey Peter

I had a spyder bought in to our service dept a few months back,
    This particular spyder came from Adelaide (as the owners) with a older couple who owned it.
    They left home (Adelaide)on a big ole tiki tour of western auz and broke down in the outback after calling a local can am agent they picked the bike up but after a few days could not get running so Brp told them to take it to another agent.
    After this agent replaced a few parts they to could not get it running so Brp got the bike bought to me in Perth.
    I repaired the bike and the owners flew in to ride the bike back to Adelaide.
    Now they called me once home to thank me again and say they made it but i can not remember his name or ph no.
    Ill post a pick of the bike Just incase you might recognize it and know the owner
    I was wanting to get hold of this customer and say hi and make sure all is good.spy1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Sorry Jase, I can't see anything distinctive enough to make that particular Spyder (& trailer??) stand out enough to identify... There are quite a few Spyders here in SA now, & I'd guess we only 'regularly' see a tiny percentage of them, & without any better prompt, I'm not sure I can help you much on that - but I will keep my eye out & maybe pass the pic around the OzSpyderRyders regulars.

Spyder Garage

Nothing like that, you silly bugger......you are over analysing......I was talking about you sending a PM to someone (Jase), who could make your Spyder go even faster. That was definitely NO surprise.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry Jase, I can't see anything distinctive enough to make that particular Spyder (& trailer??) stand out enough to identify... There are quite a few Spyders here in SA now, & I'd guess we only 'regularly' see a tiny percentage of them, & without any better prompt, I'm not sure I can help you much on that - but I will keep my eye out & maybe pass the pic around the OzSpyderRyders regulars.
    Hey Pete
    Yea it was a long shot!
    Im sure ill find his details sooner or later
    Cheers anyway

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    That Cowtown USA(Kevin) is working on an ECU remap????? Anyone else heard about this?????
    Cowtown fits the Authorized Dealer piece of the equation. Just don't know how the factory and/or extended warranty(ies) would look at it????
    Can anyone else confirm this????
    Mike
    I saw something about that on Facebook. Not sure about any of the details. I would love to have this done.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Remap

Email sent

Auldy
    2014 RTL, Akropovic Muffler, Spyder Attitude Cat Bypass, Sway Bar, Four Eyes Headlight Kit, BRP Air Intake Scoops, Stebel Nautilus, 3rd, 4th & LED Ring Brake Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Hi
    This is a great idea and this is what i do with the seadoo and some of the can-am guys.
    The only problem is Brp in its greatest wisdom chops and changes the firmware/software so much between years that we would need more than 1 ecu to use as a exchange.
    The Bosch ecu is very smart and holds so much info about a particular model that if we installed it on another model we run risks of the bike not running correctly,faults coming on incorrect mapping etc, i wish it was easier.
    I do try and make it as quick and as painless as possible but in saying that i will always take my time once i have the ecu here and my mapping software on to make sure everything is correct and i give my customers the best (and safe) remaps avaliable.
    So I read that to be we can't just buy a 2nd hand ECU, send it to JASE to put the new map on and plug it into our bike. We need our particular ECU to be the base for the new map.

So to have 2 ECUs you would still need to send Jase the ECU off your bike so he could copy that on to the spare one, unless you could get your ECU copied onto a spare one somewhere.

Kind of defeats the object if Jase needs both ECUs, unless you particularly wanted to have one with a standard map on.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    So I read that to be we can't just buy a 2nd hand ECU, send it to JASE to put the new map on and plug it into our bike. We need our particular ECU to be the base for the new map.

So to have 2 ECUs you would still need to send Jase the ECU off your bike so he could copy that on to the spare one, unless you could get your ECU copied onto a spare one somewhere.

Kind of defeats the object if Jase needs both ECUs, unless you particularly wanted to have one with a standard map on.
    Hi

What i am trying to say is
    If we had say 10 people all with for instance 2014 RT's then we can swap the spare ecu between these bikes as they would all have the same software/firmware the only thing we would need to do is marry the dash to ecu and program key.
    But if we say had another person who had for instance 2015 RS-S then they would run a slightly different software/firmware then the spare ecu might not work correctly.
    Also noting the ecu will have different software between manual and auto trans bikes.

Hope this helps
    Jase

Spyder Garage

Cheers Jase. That clears it up.

Just sounds easier to send you my ECU to be re-programmed than mess about than trying to obtain a spare one.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

ECM's are about $500 US.
    Not only are there differences between models & years, but also within manufacturing dates & where machines are made for/sold.
    (North America has different ECM than elsewhere on my machine. Possibly that's due to gearing & emissions etc.)

Example:
    http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/...nic-module-se6
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Just seems iike too much trouble to try and have a spare.

I'm definitely a taker for the remap though - probably go for this winter to send my ECU off for it's makeover.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Location of ECM

Exactly where is the ECM that needs remapped located on a 2014 RTS??? I also heard that these machines had several different ecm's and that is the main reason they take so long to boot up...larryd

Spyder Garage

I only have the F3 shop manual, but the engine ECM in question is under the left side panel as you look from the seat forward.

Not sure on an RT but I would imagine the same place as the engine/gearbox is effectively the same. The transmission ECM is on the right side of the engine and is labelled 'transmission'.

They do look very similar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Exactly where is the ECM that needs remapped located on a 2014 RTS??? I also heard that these machines had several different ecm's and that is the main reason they take so long to boot up...larryd
    Left side behind the pop off panel. It's the black box with the two cam-lock connectors on the bottom of the black box.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Actually on the spyders there are more than 1 computer, on the latest bike you can get up to 7/8 computers as such.
    The complete system works on a protocol called can bus, to put it in a easy way to explain i always say think of it as a old telephone exchange.

Treat your dash as the main telephone exchange
    Then all your other computers (telephones) talk to each other via the 1 exchange (dash )
    For instance when you put your foot on the brake and click into first gear (semi auto) you just push the button then the signal goes to the dash, the dash then turns around and tells another computer in your trans that it wants first gear so it puts it into first gear then sends a signal back to the dash to tell the dash what gear it in, haha it all makes for very interesting fault finding when we have issues.
    This is why it takes so long to power up as the dash needs to communicate with all the other computers before it will let you proceed with starting the bike.
    Most new vehicles run Can Bus protocol and have done for a few years long gone are the days of the old points and carb set up

Jase

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please before anyone runs off and removes there ECM make sure you disconnect the battery first

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most, if not all, modern Motorcycles,Cars and Trucks ECU's are VIN specific.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Default Will wait

For more feed back from first adopters before sending my ECU some where. What if gets lost? or Roasted while being remapped? Waiting this one out!: pray:

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default upgrade

so I bought a 2013 STS998 brand new. from day one could not use 5th gear below 60 mph and then the engine din't like it. After 3 years my dealer hired a spyder super mechanic. He did a computer "upgrade" all of a sudden I could shift into 5th at 45 with no problem if I wanted to my gas mileage went up 5 mpg. the mechanic said he could set it up so I could smoke the tires if I wanted but was not into that

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOST - ECU !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    For more feed back from first adopters before sending my ECU some where. What if gets lost? or Roasted while being remapped? Waiting this one out!: pray:
    Insure it - that stuff NEVER gets lost .... the PO hates to pay out on claims ............ jmho ..... Mike