Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I have an F3 SM6, and from day one it was soooo sluggish in 2nd gear. Much like the ST was.
    I happened to be at my dealer at the same time the BRP Aftersales Tech from Australia was there.
    He asked me how I liked my F3, and I told him I loved it, but 2nd gear was rubbish, very sluggish then
    takes of when it feels like it. To cut a long story short, he advised they were working on a program
    to remedy it. A couple of weeks later I replaced my rear tyre. And as I left the dealer, I had 2nd Gear!!!
    That is the only authorized map changing that I know of. And I have asked a couple of times.
    There is a guy in Auckland that does it, but he is not an Authorised Dealer
    Colin why don't you own up and tell everyone that you work at this dealers part time

Spyder Garage

Key word authorized.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jack,
    Aren't you the fella who has Twin Turbos on his pickup truck??
    The answer to your question would seem to be: "Why not?"

Yea Bob but that is for pulling a ten thousand pound toy hauler trailer not for going fast. Maybe I'm getting

older but my RTL has plenty of "ZIP" the way it is. For some I guess there will never be enough horse

power or enough speed "till they reach the Peter Principal".

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You're
    asking why someone would want more torque or power?

Just hand in your man card at the door.

Doubting your "manhood" are you JC. More Torque and Horsepower are not the answer my friend. Still

trying to prove your manhood at this age is a sad waste of time.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    For some I guess there will never be enough horse

power or enough speed "till they reach the Peter Principal".

​Jack
    That guy Peter, and his damn Principle:
    Fortunately: I reached my own personal level of incompetence very early in my career...
    I got to miss all of those sleepless nights : worrying about the next promotion!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Colin why don't you own up and tell everyone that you work at this dealers part time
    What do you mean own up Bruce? I haven't worked Part Time at the dealers for well over a year, probably more like 18 months. And the remap was done around 8 or 9 months ago.
    Last edited by Colin; 05-02-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just pointing out - for those talking about top speed and manhood -

In Australia, we have the 79 not 89 sprocket. Another thread put this as an 11% loss in low end power. I notice this as major hesitation in lower gears. Some low-mid range torque - via an ecu remap - seems to address this, given the reports from Western Australia, a Melbourne rider, and Colin from New Zealand.

It seems to me that, if some dealers are doing this, then it should be available more widely.

If just one of those dealers, or the Tech from BRP Australia, could pass on info, then I can go and see my dealer.

Meantime of course I can just wring the throttle a little more, or downchange, however there IS a proven better solution - it just seems to be a secret - which I am endeavouring to reveal.

I appreciate the info and hope that someone will let me in to this "secret".

Ps I am not the least bit interested in the manhood aspect

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I been running a Power Commander on my 2014 RT for 2 years and 16K miles.
    No problems with Spyder or Warranty!

AJ
    I knew there would be a few out there that have modified and been happy. The earlier years were full of issues and glitches that were posted though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My biggest question on this is whether the bikes that have been remapped were both SM6 models? This could be harder to achieve on the SE6 due to the gearbox settings in the ECU.

In my experience of vehicle remaps they appear more quickly for manual models then semi autos. Gearbox settings can get corrupted unless the correct ROM is used as the base for the map.

We have the smaller sprocket here in the UK too so hopefully an AUS/NZ map could be used here.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2 at least are SE6 models
    Good point

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Doubting your "manhood" are you JC. More Torque and Horsepower are not the answer my friend. Still

trying to prove your manhood at this age is a sad waste of time.

​Jack

Suppose
    I was influenced by far too much Jay Leno and Tim Allen......

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    2 at least are SE6 models
    Good point
    Ahh, well that is good news - I'm now officially hopeful that someone in the UK will acquire the map and start offering a remap service.

BIggest drawback here is that there are only five can-am dealers in the whole country and AFAIK only one non franchise mechanic.

If you find out the name of the place offering the remaps let me know - might drop them an e-mail.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Five in the Country??
    I have five within 90 minutes of me.
    I should remember to count my blessings more often.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Five in the Country??
    I know, they just haven't been popular here over the years- there's been less than 500 registered in the UK since 2008. Price doesn't help, just too much money by the time you add our 20% VAT on.
    That's why I imported mine from Germany - saved a lot of money

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Ahh, well that is good news - I'm now officially hopeful that someone in the UK will acquire the map and start offering a remap service.

BIggest drawback here is that there are only five can-am dealers in the whole country and AFAIK only one non franchise mechanic.

If you find out the name of the place offering the remaps let me know - might drop them an e-mail.
    It makes no difference if it is SM6 or SE6, quite a few SE6's have been done here. And it is a BRP remap so technically
    your dealer should be able to track it down.

I think we have 7 Dealers here, and only 2 of them are in the South Island.
    I think it may be around 800 Spyders sold in NZ.
    A lot of people like them and want one until they see the pricetag
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Mmmm, ok. I'll have to contact some dealers here and see if I get any joy.

Found this advert for a used Spyder in Perth with the same remap mentioned:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sout...map/1145782390

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Colin - as it's a brp remap - any chance you can ask your dealer for any clues, like the number of the Technical Service Bulletin ?? What is the name of your dealer?

If I can give a reference number to my dealer, all is generally good; without it, not so good.

Failing a TSB, can you find anything specific I can pass on to my guy?

Now that I know there are quite a few spyders with this remap, I shall give a WA dealer a call... Wish me luck. If I find anything, I shall certainly pass on email info.

yes - the Perth one is the same one I mentioned as having the remap.
    Last edited by loisk; 05-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that probably 80-90% of us can't ride their current bike to it's fullest potential as it now sits.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that probably 80-90% of us can't ride their current bike to it's fullest potential as it now sits.
    Yeah but you're missing the point. It's not really about the extra horsepower (although that's a nice bonus for those occassional full bore overtakes) but more about making it just nicer to drive.

Every vehicle I've had remapped just felt smoother afterwards.

Spyder Garage

Colin - as it's a brp remap - any chance you can ask your dealer for any clues, like the number of the Technical Service Bulletin ?? What is the name of your dealer?

If I can give a reference number to my dealer, all is generally good; without it, not so good.

Failing a TSB, can you find anything specific I can pass on to my guy?

Now that I know there are quite a few spyders with this remap, I shall give a WA dealer a call... Wish me luck. If I find anything, I shall certainly pass on email info.

yes - the Perth one is the same one I mentioned as having the remap.
    Thanks, the TSB would indeed be very handy as I can try that on a UK dealer then. The UK and Aus/NZ united being pretty much the same will certianly help.

Spyder Garage

Not sure I didn't see this initially.
    Myself I am skeptical.
    To remap effectively one would need to have a map from a Dyno Tuned Spyder. Dyno tuning is something a Seadoo Dealer tech does no have the ability to do.

In fact the way the Spyder is setup, doing a dyno is not an easy affair let alone finding a "reverse" trike setup. Only know of a very small handful of folks here that can do it.

However, IF he got hold of a map, that map is going to change depended on the exhaust and pipes being used.

AJ

A fellow in Western Australia is selling an F3S which has had an ECU remap done by the authorised Seadoo dealer.

He tells me that hp went from 115 to 127
    and Nm from 130 to 145

As he says, when in 3rd gear at 60kph pre-remap = need to downchange gear,
    after remap "bike just goes"

His summary is more torque, more enjoyable below 3000rpm, better throttle response, less gear changing so improved mpg. Easily reversible.

Nb we do not have the long belt/different sprocket here in oz.n

My query is - has anyone else heard of this ? ?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Suppose I was influenced by far too much Jay Leno and Tim Allen......

1. There's no such thing, as too much Jay Leno and Tim Allen.
    2. Even if it were possible: how can that be a bad thing?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't brp done various remaps over the years - adjusting for running lean etc. I know there was one on the st, and vaguely recall one on the Rs too.

From what I know of what has been done, it's a buds thing, not a dyno or power-thing-add-on.

Maybe brp have created a map from a dyno'd spyder? (Clearly, I am a bit lost re this possibility)

The mystery continues ...

Spyder Garage

Agree, this would be a straight replacement for the existing map based on stock components as it's coming rom BRP themselves - not a tuner. So would not require any rolling road time to set it up.

Obviously anyone who has changed exhaust, removed secondary CAT etc. will have a different configuration to stock, but I don't see why the new map wouldn't adapt to these as the existing one does? It would just adjust fuelling etc. based on the new parameters.

If this was coming from a tuner the rolling road / individual setup would only be required if bike has been modified from stock. Lots of companies offer plug and play updates to unmodified vehicles as they are based on a standard starting point. Usually done at the roadside with a laptop.

Spyder Garage

Default True facts about F3 ECU remaps

This is the true facts about the F3 ECU remap, now as per the comments made on here that this is a BRP remap and any dealer will be able to help with getting it is utter crap.

This remap has been done and only done by one person here in NZ and Australia and I have talked to him today at great lengths about what has been said and what he is doing to help F3 owners that want a more lively F3.

He has given me permission to pass on his contact information so if any one is interested please feel free to send me a P/M.
    Last edited by Bruce B; 05-06-2017 at 04:00 AM.