Spyder Garage

Default Review on Solar tire 215/60/15

Well had a chance to finally check the tire out in heavy rain going to spyderfest. This tire does good in dry condition. Wet weather it gets a big "F". Hydro plain on me several times. Was going up pretty good incline with no rain but wet road on the 4 lane. Needless to say I was running around 68 mph and went to increase my speed and tire turns loose and traction light comes on. Will not be buying this tire in the future. Ran different PSI from 20 to 24 and same results. On the good side I put a Yokohama S drive on my wife's bike and she had zero hydro plain. It will be my next tire. Had 9 bikes in the group coming up and all experience some hydro plain. Three of the bikes had the General Ultimax . None did as bad as mine.
    David

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. Good to know.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I tried a Falken that did about the same thing: GREAT in the DRY, and SCARY in the wet!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We have been very pleased with our Yokohama S-Drive tires in the wet weather.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We have been very pleased with our Yokohama S-Drive tires in the wet weather.
    My wife loves her. It will be my next tire.
    David

Spyder Garage

Yea, old post but wanted to follow-up with my own Solar tire 215/60/15 experience. Approvingly running them since early 2018 and no wet weather issues with 15 psi in rear but matters not... Solar changed tread design.

NOTE: Soft tires but wearing like iron. Price tag and wear are primary reasons to investigate car tires... no?
    Last edited by hillrad; 12-22-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    Fog lights
    Tour wind screen & deflectors
    Auxiliary power
    KewlMetal - radiator web
    SpyderPops - Air Dam, Heat Shield & Air Management
    Rivco - floorboards
    Easy Risers
    ISCI - passenger armrests
    Canisterectomy Stant 10819 gas cap
    DYI rear splash guards
    Frunk light
    Handlebar foam grips,cup holder & mirrors
    Wool seat cover
    Rear rack bag
    Car tires Solar 175/65r14 - 215/60r15
    MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY)
    LED strips brake/running
    2008 GS , MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY) - Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport Spark Plugs #XS4162 Stock BLACK/SILVER

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    Yea, old post but wanted to follow-up with my own Solar tire 215/60/15 experience. Approvingly running them since early 2018 and no wet weather issues with 15 psi in rear but matters not... Solar changed tread design.

NOTE: Soft tires but wearing like iron. Price tag and wear are primary reasons to investigate car tires... no?
    I'm all for saving money ..... however I prefer not to be the TEST monkey .... There are quite a few Auto tires that will fit and have decent / good / great ratings .... trying to save a few bucks, on unknown things can actually get very expensive .... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post

Price tag and wear are primary reasons to investigate car tires... no?
    Not for me, Hillrad. Wet/dry grip and ride quality are my prime considerations. Extra wear is great if it’s a side benefit…..price is well down the list.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Not for me, Hillrad. Wet/dry grip and ride quality are my prime considerations. Extra wear is great if it’s a side benefit…..price is well down the list.

Pete
    I have to agree. I'm cheap. I love to save money. But when it comes to traction and braking, the price has to fade into the distance. I've found that if the product performs well, I tend to forget how much I paid for it. If it performs poorly, what I paid for it becomes a loss because I have to then go out and get what I should have gotten in the 1st place. I will gladly accept tire wear as a tradeoff for additional traction. I'm not saving money if I end up in a ditch!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...