Spyder Garage

Default Trailers and towing

Thanks to all of you for responding to my question (is a brp trailer necessary) lots to think about,thanks. Next question,is the rt622 brp trailer discontinued and if so why? All I see now is the freedom trailer. Also is the wire harness difficult to install, Can i do this myself I believe I am capable of doing so as long as I don't have to cut or splice wires.Which wire harness is the best as I see slot of choices, signed confused???

Spyder Garage

Yes, the 622 trailer is no longer available. The freedom trailer took its place. As far as the wiring goes, I'm not sure as my dealer installed mine. I'm sure others will chime in about the wiring.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailers and Towing

lessoned learned in the past year on two separate can-am spyders with trailers, towing, and wiring. dealership installation of hitch, wiring, and a can-am trailer will protect you on a warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default My trailer advice

I bought an after market hitch, wiring harness, and Harbor Freight trailer. Hooked everything up myself. On my maiden voyage with the trailer I had 4 times when the bike went into Limp Home Mode. The next business day I took the bike to the dealership and after it being there for a week they contacted me and asked me to bring the trailer in. I did as asked and to make a long story short, nothing was ever mentioned about my trailer, wiring or hitch. Not even from BRP who was contacted 3 times while trying to figure out my issue. I would buy what ever fits your budget. Mine could not see paying the outlandish prices for all the BRP stuff.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    I bought an after market hitch, wiring harness, and Harbor Freight trailer. Hooked everything up myself. On my maiden voyage with the trailer I had 4 times when the bike went into Limp Home Mode. The next business day I took the bike to the dealership and after it being there for a week they contacted me and asked me to bring the trailer in. I did as asked and to make a long story short, nothing was ever mentioned about my trailer, wiring or hitch. Not even from BRP who was contacted 3 times while trying to figure out my issue. I would buy what ever fits your budget. Mine could not see paying the outlandish prices for all the BRP stuff.
    Our problem with our separate spyders was dealership installation and do it yourself installation and having the so called right trailer. The conflict between the dealership an us and BRP an us ended with everyone involved blaming the other party. Between the dealership, BRP, and us we ended up on the short end. Like I stated in my original reply, lesson learned.

Spyder Garage

I bought the Freedom trailer and it was pricey for sure, but when you encounter high crosswinds, you will be thankful for it's low center of gravity and smaller profile.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You'll get lots of valid (and not so valid) opinions about an issue like this. Here's my 1.5 cents....

• As long as your trailer meets the stated BRP requirements (400 lbs total, 40 lbs tongue weight) they can't void your warranty based on your trailer. Like all 3rd party products, the trailer would have to be the source of whatever breaks on your bike. This becomes a judgement based on your disposable cash (i.e. I bought a used non-BRP trailer and did my own installation of parts).
    • Ditto for the hitch and harness. You'll be fine as long as you buy from a reputable parts dealer. I have a BRP hitch but my harness came from Big Bike Parts. I shopped around and found the BRP hitch (with harness) for around $400, but the harness didn't work.
    • If you're slightly mechanically inclined you won't have an issue on this install. It is a bit tedious (you have to remove all the back panels) but not difficult. However if there is an installation-related issue with the hitch or the harness, that will be on you. This becomes a value judgement based on whether you're mechanical.
    • The BRP trailers look cool and perform well, and there are lots of accessories for them.

Choose well....
    Car trailer wreck.jpg
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I purchased the BRP Freedom trailer. love the trailer as it tows excellent. If only i could purchase a spare wheel at a reasonable price!!! Wiring matches my Spyder hookup making all work perfectly.

Spyder Garage

Default trailers &towing

thanks again for all of you who responded to this thread, alot of good advice from other people's experiences , good and bad, we have decided to bite the bullet and go with dealer install and the freedom brp trailer mainly because of the warranty issue. I have owned 2 used honda goldwings prior to the rts spyder. First time in my life I have owned brand new so don't want to mess up the warranty!!!! Thanks again.P.S.S. I do have a Motovation trailer, 2003 honda red,for sale, $1300.00 if any one interested

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Dickthal View Post
    Thanks to all of you for responding to my question (is a brp trailer necessary) lots to think about,thanks. Next question,is the rt622 brp trailer discontinued and if so why? All I see now is the freedom trailer. Also is the wire harness difficult to install, Can i do this myself I believe I am capable of doing so as long as I don't have to cut or splice wires.Which wire harness is the best as I see slot of choices, signed confused???
    I just installed the BRP harness ... It's not that difficult ... Plug n play ..No cutting or spicing ..

Spyder Garage

Default Tongue weight rating of receiver on car to pull light aluminum trailer with RT Spyder

Tongue weight rating for receiver to pull RT Limited around 1000 lbs. Question.
    Hello,
    I have a Subaru Outback and the receiver tongue weight max is 200lbs. 1.25" receiver
    I think this is to small and weak so what is the recommendation from those who trailer their spyders??

Blessings
    Mathew