Spyder Garage

Default 2008 RS sudden knock in the engine

Had my spyder out for a long run the other day and it performed flawlessly. Took it out today, wouldn't start right away but when it did, it knocked like a old diesel truck. Any ideas?

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe partially flooded and a fuel knock?....did it smooth out?

Spyder Garage

warmed it up and knock just a little less but no. Sounds like metal on metal. I trailered it up to the dealer. Can't take any chances it's going to the homecoming! Won't know till next week I guess. It's running on premium non ethanol. Like I said, very sudden, ran great the other day.
    26,000km I got it at 21,000km last year so no history on maintenance.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

The dealer suggested plugs and a valve adjustment. I said ok to plugs but can't see doing a valve check after reading in this forum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do the plugs, make sure you do the leads too - they don't like being disturbed!

Spyder Garage

Exactly what I thought but when I asked the dealer to do that, he said no need. "never seen spyder wires go bad"
    seems odd. I think I will just do them myself.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BAD WIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Kenuck View Post
    Exactly what I thought but when I asked the dealer to do that, he said no need. "never seen spyder wires go bad"
    IMHO .... I'd be very suspicious of that dealer ...... All the V-twins are NOTORIOUS for having the spark plug wires go BAD ....... they are very delicate ...... BAJARON's will last the life of the bike ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

thank you I will do just that.

Spyder Garage

Default update

update noise "seems" to have lessened. however after a good ryde yesterday check engine came on and the code was P0130 O2 sensor Also for some reason the oil sump was completely full to top 30 seconds after shutdown when i know it was not that way a day earlier. Strange Spyder.
    I am thankful for any imput.

Spyder Garage

How does the engine sounds now? About the only thing to cause the extra oil level is fuel dilution due to misfire, which would cause the code you now have.

Perhaps the plug leads have already been damaged and now 1 has just failed. To remove them I found it best to grip the plug boot as low as possible with long nose pliers then use a thick wire hooked onto the pliers to pull the boot off the plug. That way it doesn't stretch and break the core within the lead.

A few years back I was doing donuts in the snow which caused all the dash to light up with warnings. The engine then cut back to run on just 1 cylinder for a minute or two. I was thinking that I had done some damage as it was banging like it had serious damage but it came good after switching off and a short sensible ride.

You'll need to change the oil & filter obviously but I'd do the plugs and leads too and see what that does.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    How does the engine sounds now? About the only thing to cause the extra oil level is fuel dilution due to misfire, which would cause the code you now have.

Perhaps the plug leads have already been damaged and now 1 has just failed. To remove them I found it best to grip the plug boot as low as possible with long nose pliers then use a thick wire hooked onto the pliers to pull the boot off the plug. That way it doesn't stretch and break the core within the lead.

A few years back I was doing donuts in the snow which caused all the dash to light up with warnings. The engine then cut back to run on just 1 cylinder for a minute or two. I was thinking that I had done some damage as it was banging like it had serious damage but it came good after switching off and a short sensible ride.

You'll need to change the oil & filter obviously but I'd do the plugs and leads too and see what that does.
    I put new wires on, fun wow. Ran seafoam through gas and oil, changed oil, nothing on the magnet, then it threw up an oil pressure code. Checked switch ok, code gone after cleaning connection. Installed a frunk insert decal and its running good, gotta be the decal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kenuck View Post
    As much as I hate to say it: this isn't a dealer that I'd trust with my car... much less my Spyder!

B.S. Meter.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If it's still knocking, then on the worst end of the scale it sounds like it could be injector knock from a damaged injector/injector nozzle.... or possibly bad valve clearances, but I would've thought that'd come with a distinctive lack of power...

Still, either is not good, & continuing to run the engine with it knocking certainly won't be good for the engine in the long run!! How are you getting it to Homecoming?!?

There again, maybe you should consider swapping that decal back to the OE Frunk insert decal?!? Ya never know!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2017 at 08:34 PM.