Spyder Garage

Default Breaking-in oil change - is 3000 miles too much?

Guys,
    I have a new 2016 RT Limited, and was thinking of changing the oil and filter myself at about 1500 miles. I plan on using OEM oil filter, o-rings, etc. and using Amsoil oil. We are going on a fairly extended ride of approximately 1600 miles in the next few days, and I don't want to run over the 3,000 mile oil change as set by Can Am! Will it cancel my warranty if a friend and I change the oil, filter, and check all the fluid levels as they are shown in the maintenance section of my Spyder manual? My friend changing his own Spyder oil, etc. and also does other people's Spyders! I am also experienced in changing oil on Harley's, Honda's and other bikes, and can learn from him on my Spyder! Does anyone see any problems, or would you just go on the trip and let it run over the 3,000 miles before changing! I also don't trust a dealer in doing oil changes, tire balancing, etc. when you are in one building and the trike is being serviced in another building that you can't watch it! If I do it, I will know the filter is changed and tighten to spec, also what kind of oil is in it, and that the oil pugs are tighten to spec, etc.! If a dealer needs to do it, I can try to hold it to 3,000 miles or less and then trailer it over 100 miles to get it serviced and make sure warranty remains in tact! My dealers sell very few Spyders, and their Tech's are trained mostly on the other Can Am products! Thanks for your answers, I know this has been ask before!!

Spyder Garage

Changing your oil early (1,500 miles) should not be a problem since you will be on a trip when it hits 3,000 on the clock. Many change the oil before the suggested break-in change mileage.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change

I think you are smart for changing your oil sooner. I have the same engine (1330) and changed my oil at 500 then at 1500 miles and used the BRP summer blend oil change kit. You will be surprised at how dirty the oil is when it comes out! I have the SM6 (manual) transmission and there was a lot of metal shavings on the transmission drain plug. I also went to Amsoil 10w40 at the 3000 mile oil change and the spyder is running great! You will not void your warranty at all but in my opinion you should stay with BRP blended oil for the first 3000 miles. You will see that the oil gets cleaner with each change. My oil was cleaner at 3000 miles than it was at the 500 mile change. I understand exactly how you feel about letting a dealer service your spyder and think it's great that you do your own service. The folks at this site have taught me more about my spyder than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I hope you have a great trip and just remember NOBODY loves your spyder as much as you do!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It won't hurt anything to drop the oil a bit early... and it won't affect your warranty: just save your receipts, and note the date and mileage of the change on them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black