Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seperateing Magic Mirror Magnets. I think this made it easier.

I decided to try something to make it easier to separate the magnets. I was concerned about loosing a spacer and getting them stuck together.

I have old style Work Mates which of course have wooden work surfaces and a grove in the edges that clamp things in them. I clamped the role of magnets in the work top with just the one I wanted sticking out past the end. Then I didn't have to worry about holding on to the role while I slid the one I wanted off the role. As I wanted another I just moved the role out to expose the next magnet and all the way to the end this way. It was extremely easy and never even came close to messing up.

For anyone a little concerned about separating them this worked very well for me and might for others.

The whole process was really easy and wow do the mirrors ever go on nicely.

Great product Russ.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to finding the secret method!
    I have pull-out extensions on my desk, that are 100% wood...
    I figured out that I could hold the roll of magnets in one hand; uncovering the top magnet...
    I then came up from under the extension, and put the top magnet against the side of the extension...
    One good push, and it would break free!
    (I caught them in my lap!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't suggest clamping them. Merlot has suggested to slide the next one off of the washer. Clamping might cause micro fractures under the coating in the magnet material. That is also the reason we suggest that you do not overtighten them when installing for the same reason.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can say with confidence that the clamping process was not harmful in my opinion. It was in wood and only clamped firm enough to hold them. No excessive pressure was exerted. I guess someone might torque hard on them but that isn't necessary. Appreciate your caution but one has to also use common sense which I believe I did.
    cheers.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    I can say with confidence that the clamping process was not harmful in my opinion. It was in wood and only clamped firm enough to hold them. No excessive pressure was exerted. I guess someone might torque hard on them but that isn't necessary. Appreciate your caution but one has to also use common sense which I believe I did.
    cheers.

Gary
    Not saying that you might have tightened them too much. However, we have people installing them from all walks of life and different skill levels. I still suggest the tried and true method that Merlot developed. If you slide them sideways off of the stack, they are pretty easy to remove that way.