Spyder Garage

Default Question for the electrical gurus

I am planning on putting a power distribution box under the seat of my 2016 RT S. I will feed it with a fused line run from the battery but activated by a relay triggered by power from a source that goes on and off with the ignition. That should give me the ability to add multiple accessories like heated gear that would be turned on and off with the ignition without really tapping much power from the harness. My question is what gage wire should I use for a 30 amp line going from the battery to the distribution box?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Well you can get very specific and calculate size with calculators like this, but to make it really simple, I just got a Neutrino which is rated for up to 60amps and it has a 10awg wire for power to battery and ground. While you could probabiy get by with 11 or 12 awg I would just use 10 and you should be fine. You want to keep your main feed wires as short as possible.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

According to this 10 gauge is correct.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors