Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Update

Shop said that BRP is going to do a "GOOD WILL" replacement of the clutch. BRP reported that they do not recommend using third party oil and that the BUDS report showed that I spend 75% of drive time below 4000 RPM. As far as the below 4000RPM issue, I explained to the shop that I drive 90 miles of Interstate each day, most time stop and go traffic, and the manual recommends shifting between 3000 and 3500. They said that they were only relaying what BRP said.

So I guess I need to go 80mph to get RPM above 4000rpm in 6th gear, or not use 6th gear, lose gas mileage, and only have a certified shop do the oil changes!

But at least I am getting it fixed under warranty! Lesson learned!!
    Last edited by SpyderF3-s; 05-05-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Arrow Glad they took care of you

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    Shop said that BRP is going to do a "GOOD WILL" replacement of the clutch. BRP reported that they do not recommend using third party oil and that the BUDS report showed that I spend 65% of drive time below 4000 RPM. As far as the below 4000RPM issue, I explained to the shop that I drive 90 miles of Interstate each day, most time stop and go traffic, and the manual recommends shifting between 3000 and 3500. They said that they were only relaying what BRP said.

So I guess I need to go 80mph to get RPM above 4000rpm in 6th gear, or not use 6th gear, lose gas mileage, and only have a certified shop do the oil changes!

On your dime a clutch replacement is around 1,000.00. Seems your choice is simple. Penny's saved on fuel - or riding at higher RPM's.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Shop said that BRP is going to do a "GOOD WILL" replacement of the clutch. BRP reported that they do not recommend using third party oil and that the BUDS report showed that I spend 65% of drive time below 4000 RPM. As far as the below 4000RPM issue, I explained to the shop that I drive 90 miles of Interstate each day, most time stop and go traffic, and the manual recommends shifting between 3000 and 3500. They said that they were only relaying what BRP said.

Hooray! Great news indeed. Still would like to know what happened to disintegrate the clutch.

Don't read too much into the oil 'recommendation'. It's not a requirement.

Ford only 'recommends' Motorcraft oil.
    GM only 'recommends' AC Delco
    Chrysler only 'recommends' Mopar

See a theme here? None of these OEMs, including BRP actually make any lubricants. Its all bottled and packaged by one of the majors with custom labels so they can market it to you. Recommends is marketing speak. REQUIRED is a different story and they can only REQUIRE the use of OEM Branded oil if they are willing to supply it. Federal law and they know it.

They do REQUIRE that you use an oil as specified in the owners manual.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

FWIW, get someone to post the RT ECO mode shift points. Following that has you shift at super low rpms.

Spyder Garage

the first time i saw a buds report on my bike, i could not believe what it told them, so basically your lucky they are fixing it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

CuznJon, you got yourself one of those $50 Spyder like electric models now, kewl!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Glad you're getting it fixed under warranty, result

As for the 4000rpm, that's the 2nd time that's cropped up in a week from a BUDS report going to BRP. I'm strongly suspecting that someone at BRP HQ is linking lower RPM driving with clutch wear and insufficient oil pressure. As I stated in the other thread 4000rpm is the point the manual states max oil pressure is achieved.

I was on the bike last night and tried driving at no lower than 4000rpm and I don't think it's realistic. Staying above 3K is easily achievable but above 4K just feels wrong for everyday driving. If the clutch requires above 4K to operate correctly then I think it's mismatched to this engine. I have driven in the 2-3K range round town since I've had it and always felt fine.

However, I will now make an effort to stay above 3K, not that I feel there's any real certainty it will save me from an early clutch replacement bill.
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 05-05-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Default Still going to cost me $$$ to get Spyder back

Having the shop do the 28000 mile service while they have it. Saving about $300 on the entire service. Normally I would do it myself but worried BRP next time there is a questionable issue they might not cover. Got to keep the paperwork trail!! So I should get my Spyder back by Tuesday. Wife says the Spyder is like having a Porsche, service costs are outrageous!

Spyder Garage

I have not once seen BRP deny warranty coverage for not having maintenance service done at a dealer. They have asked for receipts if you had it done elsewhere or yourself but never denied coverage for it. It would be against the law anyway but they have never pushed that one. They are sticklers for following what is and is not covered in the text of the warranty though.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cruise at 3000 RPMs as my routine up to sixth gear then I have no choice to rev higher. My ryde does not feel comfy letting the engine rev too high......and just to "lube" the engine? I also shift at just over 3000 RPMs (SE6) If my dealer tells me to let it rev at 4000 RPMs in two years I'll sell it. I'm not going to REV my engine cause BRP cant build a quality machine. So far I have near 5,000 trouble free miles and am very happy with my purchase but will sell it at the first sign of trouble. I'm stress free and staying that way.

Spyder Garage

Default ??

Not sure if f3 has it but doesn't using ECO mode have you shifting get at lower RPM? And also has anyone. Heard of rt having premature clutch wear?
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Spyder Garage

Good luck with getting taken care of. Hope it happens soon and you are on the road again shortly!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone, just wanted to clear up a bit of confusion:

Firstly, on Spyder models with the ACE 1330 powertrain, you do not "need to shift at 4000rpm". Please drive the vehicle how you see fit and the transmission will handle it.

Secondly, you will not be denied warranty coverage if you use an oil that meets the recommended BRP specs - it is imperative that the oil used meets the BRP requirements as stated in the owner’s manual. Make sure you are using motorcycle and not car oil, and for ryders of the SE6 transmissions, make sure your oil is JASO MA2 certified (wet clutch compatible).

Ryde safe,

Owen

BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post

Firstly, on Spyder models with the ACE 1330 powertrain, you do not "need to shift at 4000rpm". Please drive the vehicle how you see fit and the transmission will handle it.

Secondly, you will not be denied warranty coverage if you use an oil that meets the recommended BRP specs - it is imperative that the oil used meets the BRP requirements as stated in the owner’s manual. Make sure you are using motorcycle and not car oil, and for ryders of the SE6 transmissions, make sure your oil is JASO MA2 certified (wet clutch compatible).

Ryde safe,

Owen

Thank You! Straight from a reliable source. Kuddos to BRP for stopping the BS before the Einstein's and know-it-alls would have us racing around for no reason. You just restored my faith in BRP customer service.

Spyder Garage

Ryde safe,

Owen

Owen, good to know. Curious though, did you kind of add the JASO MA2 spec or have we all been overlooking it. I do not recall any Can Am documentation indication anything more than motorcycle oil, but no reference to JASO MA2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Owen, good to know. Curious though, did you kind of add the JASO MA2 spec or have we all been overlooking it. I do not recall any Can Am documentation indication anything more than motorcycle oil, but no reference to JASO MA2.
    Hi PMK,
    It's on page 162 of the owner's manual:
    09-05-2017 3-00-47 PM.jpg
    Thanks,
    Steve
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Then why on each service, done by the shops, does BRP comment on the RPM below 4000 on the report back to the user?

Ryde safe,

Owen

Spyder Garage

Then why on each service, done by the shops, does BRP comment on the RPM below 4000 on the report back to the user?
    I'll have someone follow-up on communication with the tech and the dealership. But coming straight from BRP, please don't worry about your shift points anymore. Just make sure your oil is JASO MA2.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Owen, can you pm me I have a question on a different topic. Thanks
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Owen, can you pm me I have a question on a different topic. Thanks
    We don't use PMs, but you can email us at brp.care@brp.com
    Thanks,
    Steve
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

We don't use PMs, but you can email us at brp.care@brp.com
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Thank you
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Hi PMK,
    It's on page 162 of the owner's manual:
    09-05-2017 3-00-47 PM.jpg
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Interesting, my owners manual is different, no mention of JASO MA2. Not worried as I have run JASO MA2 all along.

Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by PMK; 05-09-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll have someone follow-up on communication with the tech and the dealership. But coming straight from BRP, please don't worry about your shift points anymore. Just make sure your oil is JASO MA2.

Ride more: worry less!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you BRPCares for your input! I appreciate the input and comments for everyone!

Spyder Garage

Great news, Thanks BRP for the follow up. Following this thread was beginning to be a bit concerning.