Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder in the shop!

I was on my way home last night from work, stopped at a traffic light. When it turned green, I gave it some gas, and all I heard was grinding! I went no where! No DESS codes, no warning, just grinding. I got it off to the curb to look at it. Sound is coming from the right side. Sounds like it is coming from the transmission. Got it towed to shop. At least it is under warranty!!
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Does sound like the clutch trans area. Lots of questions would come to mind but now that you have it in the shop would be interesting and helpful to know what they find. The one helpful point would be to mention your model. From your profile we can see it is an F3 but not if it is manual or auto...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is a 2015 F3-S SE6 with just under 28000 miles. I ride it to work and back everyday in stop and go traffic on the Interstate. 90 miles round trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what they find... good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There have been issues reported with the clutch assembly.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

I got a call from the shop today and they said that it was the clutch assembly and they said that they are in talks with BRP to see if BRP will cover the repair. I have only had the Spyder for 18 months!!! And I have the extended warranty for three additional years!! They said that the oil seals on the oil plug were not the correct ones. I told them that I use Amsoil and HI-FLO filters and change the oil every 5000 miles. They they said that BRP might not honor the warranty because I used after-market oil and filters. I read the manual and there is no place where it says that I MUST have all service done by a BRP certified shop and that I MUST use BRP certified oil and filters. I always buy my oil and filters from BajaRon. What next, BRP is going to deny service repair because I did not use a Kenda tire on the rear!!!

Anyone else having this issues with BRP? I am frustrated with BRP.
    Last edited by SpyderF3-s; 05-01-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A lot of guys have had a problem with the front pulleys. Please make sure they check that before they take it apart. It fooled one of the dealers in Las Vegas on a friends F3 who thought it was the clutch. The oil thing sounds bogus.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

It is bogus. I believe it is the Moss Hartly Act that prohibits those kind of stipulations. As long as you can show that you have done the maintenance at the required intervals or better they have to honor the warranty.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did the oil leak out from the wrong o'rings on the plug?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    I got a call from the shop today and they said that it was the clutch assembly and they said that they are in talks with BRP to see if BRP will cover the repair. I have only had the Spyder for 18 months!!! And I have the extended warranty for three additional years!! They said that the oil rings on the oil plug were not the correct ones. I told them that I use Amsoil and HI-FLO filters and change the oil every 5000 miles. They they said that BRP might not honor the warranty because I used after-market oil and filters. I read the manual and there is no place where it says that I MUST have all service done by a BRP certified shop and that I MUST use BRP certified oil and filters. I always buy my oil and filters from BajaRon. What next, BRP is going to deny service repair because I did not use a Kenda tire on the rear!!!

Anyone else having this issues with BRP? I am frustrated with BRP.

First,
    this is your dealer playing games. Not BRP. Your dealer wants you to pay for the repair as they make MUCH more money that way.

Do be aware that the warranty and extended warranty DO NOT cover the clutch. BRP has done some on very low mile nearly new bikes as good will gestures but yours is well beyond that. Has nothing to do with oil changes. The clutch is a wear item just like brake pads and tires. No warranty.

Next, get your receipts for the oil change and provide it to them. Show that all products met BRP specs. Then let them play another excuse card for something else.

Strongly suggest you contact BRP directly before this goes much further. BRP will not deny a warranty claim for using the right oil and filters. Has not happened even once on this forum and really doubt you would be the unlucky first for them to have a major change in policy (that would be contrary to US law anyway).

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Shop said that they are waiting for BRP to read the BUDS report. There are were no DESS errors. They are not going to order any parts until BRP responds. Another day with out my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. I'm interested in what BRP say when the analyse the BUDS report and if there's anything there that contributed to the early failure - such as the stop start traffic you mention on your commute.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Default Still no update

Shop says they are waiting to hear back from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Total BS on the oil and filter nonsense. They cannot deny coverage due to that.. providing you used the proper oil, filters, etc.

Now.. on the clutch... I can fully understand that usually a clutch is a wear item and is not covered under warranty.... BUT.. this is an SE... which means the computer operates the clutch via hydraulics. So there's no way for the rider to abuse the clutch like you can with a manual. My take is that clutches on SE models should be covered.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to have to say it: I think that your dealer is lying to you...

B.S. Meter.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Total BS on the oil and filter nonsense. They cannot deny coverage due to that.. providing you used the proper oil, filters, etc.

Now.. on the clutch... I can fully understand that usually a clutch is a wear item and is not covered under warranty.... BUT.. this is an SE... which means the computer operates the clutch via hydraulics. So there's no way for the rider to abuse the clutch like you can with a manual. My take is that clutches on SE models should be covered.
    and why would it be my fault the clutch goes bad on an SE!!!!?????

Trying to move the tryke & holding the brake at the same time will give you a code so there is no way to ruin the clutch that way either.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 05-02-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

While
    I and dare I say most on this forum would agree with you, BRP and the letter of the contract do not. Was just preparing the OP for what BRP can and has said to others.

I truly wish him luck getting his bike fixed promptly.

Unfortunately there is much precedence for the automated clutch not being a warranty item. Porsche, Ford, Benz and others that have computer controlled clutches rather than traditional hydrostatic torque converters in their transmissions have declared the clutch a wear item just like on a manual clutch. Its not about who's fault it is, its about items designed to wear out and need replacement vs those that are semi permanent.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 05-03-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm still betting it's the front sprocket.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

A clutch that wears out in typical use, unless worn so much there is no friction material remaing on the plates will not make grinding sounds.

A clutch worn from normal use will slip more and more gradually until forward movement is almost impossible, but still no grinding noises will happen.

A worn clutch is an easy item to validate upon disassembly. Measure the thickness of the clutch plates. There is a minimum thickness specification. If your clutch plates, both fibers and metals (drive and driven) are above minimum thickness, the clutch did not wear out and repairs should be warranty, even if new clutch plates are required due to other failed warranty parts.

The shop should drain the oil, ideally through a filtering funnel or paint strainer to capture metal or debris. Once they open the clutch, if that is the problem area, they will see the issue of the grinding noise.

Regardless, inform the service writer that you want a detailed list of each clutch plate thickness, and a copy of the manuals page showing the minimum thickness limits.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I'm still betting it's the front sprocket.
    Agree, this is reported several times before and is likely the causing of the grinding noise and lack of wanting to move forward.

Spyder Garage

Default Wearable parts

If you think about it, ALL parts on the Spyder are wearable. Pistons, valves, crank.... Does anyone have a list of parts BRP states are "wearable" and are not covered under warranty? I agree the clutch on a SE6 should not have gave out at 28000. Dealer did give me a BRP case number yesterday. I checked with BRPCARE to verify that it is valid. Shop said they sent BRP pictures??? Another day without my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

JC beat me to it on the clutch in vehicle semi-auto applications. The internet is full of stories of failures where the manufacturers refuse to repair them even in the warranty period. It's one of the reasons I stick to good old fashioned torque converters as they are bulletproof.

The sudden loss of drive does seem odd for clutch 'wear' though if not preceded by some sign of slipping occuring. It would make me think of a failure of some sort rathe than the result of gradual wear.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    If you think about it, ALL parts on the Spyder are wearable. Pistons, valves, crank.... Does anyone have a list of parts BRP states are "wearable" and are not covered under warranty? I agree the clutch on a SE6 should not have gave out at 28000. Dealer did give me a BRP case number yesterday. I checked with BRPCARE to verify that it is valid. Shop said they sent BRP pictures??? Another day without my Spyder!

Has
    the dealer done any work to figure out what is wrong or are they just throwing their hands up and letting BRP worry about it?

I agree with PMK. This does NOT sound like the normal failure mode for a clutch.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Shop Update

Shop states that all of the friction plates had abnormal wear. Shop sent photos to BRP for evaluation.

Spyder Garage

Agree totally. How can we be held responsible for a clutch over which we have no control?

So the dealer said all plates had abnormal wear? Did they provide measurements or is some grease money making blind assertions? (Although I typed the question I think we all know the answer.)