Spyder Garage

Default "Functional" Farkles for a Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6

So, I bought a new 2016 Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6 and I am already thinking about Farkles!! However, for me the most important thing is "functional" farkles. By that I mean upgrades and accessories that improve the performance, protection, and handling of my Spyder. I have looked over the forums a bit, and I think I know which additions would be best for me. But I would like to get the opinion of actual Spyder owners - not only about the usefulness of the upgrades/mods, but also how easy it is to install these, and whether or not they require lifts and other specialized equipment. So here is my list, and the questions I have. I would appreciate anyone chiming in on the relative importance of these farkles, whether or not there are noticeable improvements, whether or not it is a DIY or professional project, and which brand works best.

1) Bumpskid - It seems like this is a crucial mod. Is it? Is SpyderPops the brand of choice? Do you have to drill holes into the Spyder? Do you need a lift to install it?
    2) Sway bar - Most claim a noticeable difference. Is it dramatic? Is the Baja Ron Sway Bar the sway bar brand of choice or some other brand? Is this a DIY project? Do you need a lift to install it?
    3) Idler tensioner kit - Is this needed on the 2016 model? How much difference does it make? Again, could an owner do this or is a professional required? Do you need a lift? Which is better - Lamonster or SmoothSpyder - or something else?
    4) Rear shock - Many Spyder owners claim that the 2-up shock should replace the inadequate stock shock. My F3-T has a manual air-adjustable shock. Is this sufficient or is a stiffer shock required?
    5) Did I miss a crucial mod/accessory/farkle? Again, I am really only focusing on performance, protection, and handling.

I REALLY appreciate you input. Forums like this are invaluable for newbies like me - and they can save the new owner lots of money and grief.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

I just purchased the F3t and put the Bajaron sway bar on it and had it laser aligned and it made a HUGE difference. I had the dealer do it cause you need to lift the bike 24 inches to change the sway bar. The laser alignment was warrantied because I only have 425 miles on and was already seeing tire wear on the inside of the tires. The left front tire was off by 1/4 inch from the factory.

i just received in the mail the Spyderpops bump skid and am going to try that install myself. I was told however it is easier with 4 hands because you do need to drill some holes. The instructions that come with it are good and doesn't look to bad. I'm going to use car ramps to get the bike up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvedec View Post
    So, I bought a new 2016 Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6 and I am already thinking about Farkles!! However, for me the most important thing is "functional" farkles. By that I mean upgrades and accessories that improve the performance, protection, and handling of my Spyder. I have looked over the forums a bit, and I think I know which additions would be best for me. But I would like to get the opinion of actual Spyder owners - not only about the usefulness of the upgrades/mods, but also how easy it is to install these, and whether or not they require lifts and other specialized equipment. So here is my list, and the questions I have. I would appreciate anyone chiming in on the relative importance of these farkles, whether or not there are noticeable improvements, whether or not it is a DIY or professional project, and which brand works best.

1) Bumpskid - It seems like this is a crucial mod. Is it? Is SpyderPops the brand of choice? Do you have to drill holes into the Spyder? Do you need a lift to install it Yes to Bumpskid. Yes to Spyerpops. He is an awesome guy and great customer service. Yes you have to drill a few holes. Yes you will need a lift.

2) Sway bar - Most claim a noticeable difference. Is it dramatic? Is the Baja Ron Sway Bar the sway bar brand of choice or some other brand? Is this a DIY project? Do you need a lift to install it Yes the sway bar will help you. Yes Baja Ron is the way to go. Yes you can make it a DIY Project

3) Idler tensioner kit - Is this needed on the 2016 model? How much difference does it make? Again, could an owner do this or is a professional required? Do you need a lift? Which is better - Lamonster or SmoothSpyder - or something else? Makes a huge difference on an F3. Very easy to install yourself. No lift needed. Get the one from Doc. Best one on the market.

4) Rear shock - Many Spyder owners claim that the 2-up shock should replace the inadequate stock shock. My F3-T has a manual air-adjustable shock. Is this sufficient or is a stiffer shock required? I don't own an F3 but everyone I've ever talked to said the rear shock sucks.

5) Did I miss a crucial mod/accessory/farkle? Again, I am really only focusing on performance, protection, and handling.
    I am not huge fan of the lack of windshield on the F3. You might consider looking at an F4 windshield and yes you can install it yourself.

I REALLY appreciate you input. Forums like this are invaluable for newbies like me - and they can save the new owner lots of money and grief.

Wayne
    ​answered in red
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F3T Rear Shock

I have a 2015 F3S and there are definitely shock issues from the factory on this bike. From what research I have done to address my bike it doesn't appear the the F3T suffers from that problem because the rear suspension and shock are designed more like the RT and are different from the F3S. Your rear shock should be good as long as your happy with it. They do sell a compressor and hardware to make your manual rear shock where you can adjust on the fly. That would be a nice functional farkle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles have you put on your new Spyder so far?
    (By the way: )

You probably should ride it for a while, and let the bike tell you what it needs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Bob.......ryde for a while & see what you think. The shocks may be fine...you may not feel you need a swaybar replacement. Since I feel like a part of my F# compared to sitting on top of my RT, I feel like it's handling & road experience almost tells me what I need.

I have about 650 miles on the new F3L after ryding an RTL since 2012. I've really only found one thing from ryding so far........I need a real windshield !!!!! The order will be placed today. I've already swapped the headlight bulbs for Lamonster LEDs, added Lamonster LED Fog Lights, & the Lamonster LED Ring lights just as a safety thing. I want to be as visible as possible!!!!!

Good luck.....hope you have money left when you're done if so...you're doing better than most of us
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There seems to be no problem with the F3T or L shock. The F3 and F3S have a weak shock. The shock is separate from the air bag.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 06-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Only 400 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How many miles have you put on your new Spyder so far?
    (By the way: )

You probably should ride it for a while, and let the bike tell you what it needs...
    I was out of town when it was delivered and we've had a lot of rain - with more coming from Tropical Storm Cindy. Feeling much more comfortable with a looser grip. I realized I need a backrest, which I just ordered. Have not yet installed the new belt tensioner, bump skid, and sway bar, but hope to soon. The windshield doesn't bother me much, but I wear a modular helmet.

Spyder Garage

Default Wifes F3T has 6500 miles-- So far just added F4 windshield and RIP Boards

Since April when she traded her 15 RT-S for the 16 F3T, my wife has only added the F4 windshield for better wind protection, and she loves the comfort and ease of mounting the bike using Lamonster's RIP boards. Other than the heated grips added by the dealer at pickup and the tender plug I added, and tank protector decals it is pretty stock and she loves it. As far as handling, she has over 100,000 miles on RT's before this, and the F3T handles great for her.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvedec View Post
    I was out of town when it was delivered and we've had a lot of rain - with more coming from Tropical Storm Cindy. Feeling much more comfortable with a looser grip. I realized I need a backrest, which I just ordered. Have not yet installed the new belt tensioner, bump skid, and sway bar, but hope to soon. The windshield doesn't bother me much, but I wear a modular helmet.
    With the Farkles that you've got planned so far: your bike will be awesome!!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Definition of FARKLE ...

I like this definition of FARKLE I found on the web;

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle. Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkel), to customize their machine.
    2014 RTL Platinum