Spyder Garage

Default "E" when shifting gears

Hi Everyone, every now and then when shifting gears, I'll get an "E" on the display. It won't let me shift until the E goes away, which is usually about 2 or 3 seconds. It only happens when I'm in 5th gear shifting into 6th. I have a 2014 RT-SE6. Does anyone else get this and what is it? I couldn't find it in the search section. Thanks for any help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has popped up before in the forum...
    Sometimes; the gear position sensor gets itself "confused" under certain specific conditions.
    Is the shift kind of hanging up; or is it shifting normally? (Other than the "E")
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    Hi Everyone, every now and then when shifting gears, I'll get an "E" on the display. It won't let me shift until the E goes away, which is usually about 2 or 3 seconds. It only happens when I'm in 5th gear shifting into 6th. I have a 2014 RT-SE6. Does anyone else get this and what is it? I couldn't find it in the search section. Thanks for any help.
    This indicates a problem beginning to occur with the Gear Box Position Sensor (GBPS). I don't want to alarm you, but the darn things usually don't fix themselves or get any better on their own. They're just a potentiometer that reports to the ECM what gear you're in. And if they get worse, they can not report ANY gear and leave you stranded. So, it's more than just for indication. You could crawl under there and see if it is loose, and exercise the plug a couple of times, but the most reliable fix is to just have the thing replaced. A reminder that there is a calibration required via BUDS after it is replaced. If you're under an extended warranty, it might be covered, but if not, it's not a big expense.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Same thing happened with my RS, it was the gear sensor as Snowbelt Spyder said and it did get worse as they suggest.

Started with just high gears where it would occasionally come up for 4 and 5, then started affecting more gears and being more persistent. It also started misreading gears, so according to the display I'd be changing up from 5th into 5th before down changing back into 5th:-).

Replacing the gear sensor fixed the problem though BUDs also had to be reset by the dealer at the same time to complete the fix. I suspect in some cases you may be able to get away with just the BUDs reset, but if like me you live a long distance from the dealer it's probably not worth the risk of not replacing the sensor and finding the problem comes back. I have heard of people replacing the sensor without the BUDs reset but that didn't work with mine (we tried it out of curiosity:-))

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had this problem when I first got the Fat White Chick. Turns out I was shifting too quickly and the gear position sensor couldn't keep up. Stretched out the shift intervals and haven't seen it happen again.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    I had this problem when I first got the Fat White Chick. Turns out I was shifting too quickly and the gear position sensor couldn't keep up. Stretched out the shift intervals and haven't seen it happen again.
    That is exactly what was happening to me early on. I was shifting too quickly and once I slowed it down the E never came back. When I say too quickly I mean like about a second between shifts.
    Not saying that is isn't a potential problem but try slowing down the shift and see if it stops happening.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Shifting to quickly.
    If you get the "E", just back off of the throttle a bit and the gear will display.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input. It does seem to only happen when I'm going through the gears rapidly. It's never happened when I take my time from gear to gear. I will also keep my eye on things to make sure my sensor isn't going out. Thanks again.