GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Trade Up/In - Your Opinions, Please!

Hi! I've been pretty quiet here lately for multiple reasons and all long stories. But, in interested in trading in my 2012 RT-S. I've added the Baja Ron sway bar, spyder pops critter splitter, GloRyders, and custom dynamics LEDS.

I'm 6' and a heavier rider so I like the adjustable shocks. My only real complaints with the spyder are wind buffeting (rider/head) and PITA getting to the tire stem on the rear tire. (These are not the reason for trading in, just info to perhaps with a decision on a replacement.)

I like the idea of the cruiser position but haven't had a chance to sit on it yet.

What are your thoughts? For model/year? And, what have you found to help with wind buffeting?
    Last edited by Phyxius; 04-27-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Updated info
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only problem with getting a new bike... you're back to Square One, and the new bike will likely need a lot of "modificating"!
    The rear tire valve just is what it is.
    Lamont's new Air Pack does make it easier to get air into it!

Wind buffeting? Try an F4 Windshield!

Happy Shopping; please let us know how it goes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Bob
    Different windshield and get extension for valve stem

Cheaper than new bike unless u have extra funds laying around

Spyder Garage

Harley makes a six inch valve stem extension for the rear tire of their Ultraglide. It is zero loss and can be had at any Harley dealer for about $10.00

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree that a different windshield will help, but if funds are a concern, check out the +4 wide shield from show chrome. it is a oem fit and cost around $160.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Trade Up/In - Your Opinions, Please!

Farkles will not get you any more $$ on a trade in. Go for a '15 or later, the 1330 is awesome. Since 2014, the 998's are done, not a lot of wrench turners these days know how they work & how to actually work on them. Twice when my 2013 RT LTD was in the shop, my dealer loaned me his demo, a 2016 RT/S SE6 that we put about 1,200 miles on. Wish I could pony up some more $$ for one, but I am one and done.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 04-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The valve stem and wind buffeting are managable on your exsisting ryde. Both issues will have to be dealt with on your new ryde. But the big changes between the two are engine, transmission, maintenence, economy (mpg) etc. You really need to test one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2014 RT-S new. I came from 30 years of riding BMWs, so I was used to a "sport riding" position where your feet are directly below your hips. The RT-S's "sit up and beg" upright position took a bit of getting used to, and I still find myself unconsciously moving my feet towards the rear of the floorboards during twisty maneuvers. Old habits die hard, I guess.

I've since sat in some F-3's and can't for the life of me envision riding in the cruiser style, "feet forward" position. I guess I'm used to using my legs as part of the suspension (think of riding a horse with an English saddle, and standing up in the stirrups to absorb bumps); with the cruiser position, your butt absorbs a lot of the bumps. I don't get it, but many other apparently like it.

But the 1330 drive train is worth it, if you can swing the investment. Less maintenance, better mileage, etc.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback so far. I updated my OP. My complaints about the wind and air stem aren't the reason for trading in. I just wanted to include info on what I have now and what issues I have.

I did have knee surgery and was on crutches for 4 months. I'm still recovering. Some I'm interested in the fit options but have no problem with pegs.

I don't have a dealer close by so, want as much input as possible from the amazing people on this forum. No one knows more about spyders than you guys!
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I bought a 2014 RT-S new. I came from 30 years of riding BMWs, so I was used to a "sport riding" position where your feet are directly below your hips. The RT-S's "sit up and beg" upright position took a bit of getting used to, and I still find myself unconsciously moving my feet towards the rear of the floorboards during twisty maneuvers. Old habits die hard, I guess.

I've since sat in some F-3's and can't for the life of me envision riding in the cruiser style, "feet forward" position. I guess I'm used to using my legs as part of the suspension (think of riding a horse with an English saddle, and standing up in the stirrups to absorb bumps); with the cruiser position, your butt absorbs a lot of the bumps. I don't get it, but many other apparently like it.

But the 1330 drive train is worth it, if you can swing the investment. Less maintenance, better mileage, etc.
    You're speaking my language! The 2012 didn't have the floor boards so I tend to ride with my toes on the pegs, which with long legs gives a fairly ear, shoulder, hip, heel position, not too dissimilar from an English saddle. I was wondering how it felt to whip around turns with that cruiser position.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Vented windshield

A vented windshield will solve much of ( if not all) the head buffeting. A gold wing vent can be added for about $50 with a drill and jug saw. The vent adds to the low pressure behind the windscreen and moves the buffeting above and behind you.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    A vented windshield will solve much of ( if not all) the head buffeting. A gold wing vent can be added for about $50 with a drill and jug saw. The vent adds to the low pressure behind the windscreen and moves the buffeting above and behind you.

Kaos
    Thanks! My head being bashed about is the only thing I don't like about the ride. I'm debating waiting a couple months to see what's announced for the new models before going forward with a trade in. I can't decide. Wait..don't wait...wait...don't wait.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    2012 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How is the knee healing up?

Spyder Garage

Bottom line: It is going to be up to what you think suits you best.

Words of wisdom:

: Test drives answer questions
    : Farkles are worth next to nothing on your trade in. They were good for you, but not necessarily for the new owner.
    : Get a 1330 as opposed to a 998. That's 2014 or higher. Less required maintenance. Most like the 1330 better. That's me, and I have one of each.

Let us know what you end up with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Harley makes a six inch valve stem extension for the rear tire of their Ultraglide. It is zero loss and can be had at any Harley dealer for about $10.00

Do you leave the extension on? I can remember Lamont saying not to leave it on due to the extension causing flexion movement of the rubber valve stem, which may cause cracking. Of course that was on my GS. I don't know if they still use rubber valve stems on the newer models.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1251297]The only problem with getting a new bike... you're back to Square One, and the new bike will likely need a lot of "modificating"!

Really Bob, did you just use that "word"? Is it a word?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I came from the Kaw Concours 1400 sport bike , the Yamaha Tenere Adventure bike and the Suzuki M109. As I get older my knees were having a hard time with the riding position so the M109 was very comy. The past 2 years I was less confident with an 800 lb 2 wheeler due to bad knees and bad shoulders, I just had knee replacement and had a broken wrist and broken hand. The Spyder F3 T is perfect choice for me, I like the sport look, there is enough storage ( more than my Concours ) to get me on a 3-5 day trip and the 1330 motor is great. If I wanted more comfort I would take a car. There is very little I feel the need to change so the additional cost are minimal. Waiting till year end to buy is a great time to get the prior year left over, great savings to had.

It comes down to what your individual needs are. Any extras you put on the bike will bring almost zero, much better off to remove and sell individually if that is possible. I learned my lesson after about 3 bikes of putting thousands in extras then getting very little for them. Won't make that mistake again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Buckeye Bleau;1260075]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The only problem with getting a new bike... you're back to Square One, and the new bike will likely need a lot of "modificating"!

Really Bob, did you just use that "word"? Is it a word?

Joe
    Us Noo-Yawkus speak a different dialect than you Ohionions!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1260094]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post

Us Noo-Yawkus speak a different dialect than you Ohionions!
    I think that is O-hi-a-ins.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    Thanks! My head being bashed about is the only thing I don't like about the ride. I'm debating waiting a couple months to see what's announced for the new models before going forward with a trade in. I can't decide. Wait..don't wait...wait...don't wait.
    I'm in the 6'3" - 6'4" range and ride solo with the stock windshield 1/2" above the bottom stop. I have NEVER felt my head being bashed about by the wind. Yes, when passing a semi on an interstate I feel some buffeting about my shoulders but the Ron bar keeps the Spyder tracking like an arrow. With my wife aboard I raise the windshield to make the ride more comfortable for her and then I'm hiding behind it. I strongly second the recommendations for the 1330 engine/trans combo for the maintenance, mileage and low end torque. Buying at the end of MY is a great way to save $$.
    Last edited by JayBros; 05-20-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S