Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil 0W40 Powersports Oil

I was wondering if anyone is using Amsoil 0W40 powersports oil for their 1330 engine?

If the BRP full synthetic oil is 0W40, I am curious as to why Amsoil recommends 10W40 motorcycle oil and not the 0W40?

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone is using Amsoil 0W40 powersports oil for their 1330 engine?

If the BRP full synthetic oil is 0W40, I am curious as to why Amsoil recommends 10W40 motorcycle oil and not the 0W40?

Gunner
    You are much better off with a 10w-40 than with a 0w-40 oil. Here are some reasons why.

1- The smaller the difference between the lower number and the higher number, the more stable the oil is. A more stable oil is better able to resist 'Shearing' or degradation due to the crushing force of transmission gears. It therefore not only lasts longer, but provides better lubrication as well.

2- A 0w oil is designed to flow well when cooled to very low temperatures (like a Snowmobile left out overnight in sub-zero temperatures). If you are leaving your Spyder outside in sub-zero temperatures on a regular basis then yes, I would recommend a 0w weight oil. If not, then you are sacrificing the benefits of a 10w oil for a feature that you are not going to use.

When the Spyder first came out BRP recommended a 10w-40 oil. The same Rotax engine in the Aprilia motorcycle recommended 20w-50 oil. My feeling is that BRP wanted to consolidate the lubricants they offered and needed something that will work in all of their equipment. Snowmobiles, ATV's, watercraft and the Spyder. A 0w-40 oil will do this. But it is not necessarily the ideal oil for every application.

Personally, I think the 10w-40 weight oil (or even a 15w-40) is a better fit for the Spyder. I use Amsoil because real life testing shows it holds up much better than the BRP lubricants. But it is my opinion that a 10w-40 oil of any brand that meets BRP specs., is better for our Spyders than the same oil in a 0w-40 viscosity.

Many manufacturers have sacrificed lubrication for fuel mileage. Recommending 0w-?? viscosity oils instead of a heavier viscosity which would offer better protection. I am not saying that BRP has done this with the Spyder. Just that it has been a general trend over the last 15 years or so in an attempt to meet EPA fuel mileage requirements for cars and trucks.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-27-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron Since Aprillia recommends a 20w50 oil in that same 998 V twin motor is there any advantage to us going back to that recommendation?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you of one person that uses the 10W40 Amsoil in her 1330 at the factory recommended change interval and has over 100,000 miles on it. So it does work.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Ron Since Aprillia recommends a 20w50 oil in that same 998 V twin motor is there any advantage to us going back to that recommendation?
    I don't think so. With the Aprilia you're talking over 30 more HP on a crotch rocket that will probably be ridden like the race bike it is. People don't ride the Spyder like that. You can't really. That being said, I do know that some (especially in very hot climates) are running 20w-50. But like I said, you'd have to ride the Spyder very hard all the time to really justify it. Ideally, you want to run the thinnest oil you can that will still give you excellent protection in all circumstances. I believe that the 10w-40 meets that criteria for the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Ron
    where and when you ryde makes a big difference...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Reply from Amsoil:

The AMSOIL 10W40 is the top of the line option for your Can Am. The additive package is built for a longer interval of 2x the manufacture original interval, or 1 year whichever comes first. The only viscosity grade difference is he winter grade(represents the products ability to stay fluid in colder weather). 10W or 0W does not have any bearing on the physical viscosity of 40 weight, so the 10W40 is more than suitable. If you would like to use the 0W40, this is also fine, but it would not be the best choice, and you would need to change the fluid at the manufactures recommended interval.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL Technical Services

Ashley Barone
    AMSOIL Technical Services Representative
    abarone@amsoil.com
    AMSOIL INC- AMSOIL Building
    Superior, WI 54880

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't think so. With the Aprilia you're talking over 30 more HP on a crotch rocket that will probably be ridden like the race bike it is. People don't ride the Spyder like that. You can't really. That being said, I do know that some (especially in very hot climates) are running 20w-50. But like I said, you'd have to ride the Spyder very hard all the time to really justify it. Ideally, you want to run the thinnest oil you can that will still give you excellent protection in all circumstances. I believe that the 10w-40 meets that criteria for the Spyder.
    Thanks Ron

BTW did you ever find a source for the pad clips for when replacing the brake pads with after market pads?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron

BTW did you ever find a source for the pad clips for when replacing the brake pads with after market pads?
    No, I'd have to have them made. I'm sure whoever BRP has make them is locked up by contract.

Spyder Garage

I am sure you are right. I was able to make my own and it is working on the one that broke,but it was a lot of work and piano wire, while very stiff, is still not as stiff as the wire those keepers are made from.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-02-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I am sure you are right. I was able to make my own and it is working on the one that broke,but it was a lot of work and piano, wire while very stiff, is still not as stiff as the wire those keepers are made from.
    Making them would be cheap if you made a lot. But setting up a machine to make them. That's where they get you.