Spyder Garage

Default trailers, towing

Is it really necessary to buy a brp trailer? I have a 2015 rts and am planning a trip to the west coast this summer and a trailer is a must for us for.

Spyder Garage

No. Many trailer options.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You'll be fine as long as you stick to the 400 lb total weight, 40 lb tongue weight specs. And, many people have pushed their bike beyond that.

Mini-trailer (site sponsor), Aluma and many others make what is effectively an aluminum box that works just fine.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

KompactKamp. I don't know what their shipping would be. I'm planning on getting one before spyderquest.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have a trailer called the "Piggy Backer" that I have had for ten years and pulled it from coast to coast issue free. I just grease the bearings and change the tires often. It is very similar to the one Harbor Freight sells. Mine came from a family business in South Carolina.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    KompactKamp. I don't know what their shipping would be. I'm planning on getting one before spyderquest.
    They're built in Pennsylvania; aren't they? You should be able to pick it up right at their factory.
    I've got a friend who has one, and she loves it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

As long as you follow the printed restrictions about trailers, you should be able to use "whatever" works best and suits you. As usual, the OEM stuff looks very nice, but you pay for that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Can be $300 to $4000 !!

I go on about 2-3 trips during the riding season with a trailer. I went on the cheap, with the Harbor Freight one for $270 on sale. Put it together, repacked the wheel bearings (as they use some cheap clear vasoline stuff) with good grease. Also put down a rubber seal from the hardware store on the lid to seal it up better, as it is just fiberglass laying on fiberglass.

Got over 1000 miles on it, no problems. Can't even tell it's there, the 1330 has so much torque! The hardest part was doing the wiring. Got the kit from show chrome, plugged into the factory harness with ease, but it was 5 wire, no the 4 wire type of my trailer. Went to Autozone and got a $25 adapter kit, wired it in and mounted next to the showchrome harness, and all was well. By the way, the Showchrome harness uses relays. The signal from Nanny just turns on the relay to activate the lights. There is a power wire run to the battery & ground that is separate. So if anything shorts, no excess power will be drawn from the computer, harming it. I posted a few pics on the RT forum. The only thing I found was my hitch assembly is very tight, I have to yank on the bar to get it off the ball; and the hooks on the chains fall out of the holes from bouncing on the road. I keep a roll of black tape to tape the hook so it can't bounce out.

I went with the showchrome trailer hitch as well. Mounted easy. Didn't spring for the mud flap, thinking it was just a farkle. It is NOT ! The back of my RT as well as the back of my wife's helmet got covered with mud and junk riding in the rain! Ordered the mud flap! All in all was about $550 or so I think. The only thing I don't care for is the tongue seems short. Would have liked to see another foot longer. Can't extend it as the trailer has some weird rectangular dimensions, and nothing from harbor Freight will fit it.

Maybe when I retire and am traveling a lot I'll get the BRP trailer, it does look nice! Plus Pete over at WrapMySpyder.com has awesome kits to dress it up.

Just my thoughts!

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    ...The only thing I don't care for is the tongue seems short. Would have liked to see another foot longer. Can't extend it as the trailer has some weird rectangular dimensions, and nothing from harbor Freight will fit it.

Steve
    Steve,
    I went down to a local steel seller and bought a longer piece of 2" square tubing to replace the shorter HF tongue that came with the Tag-Along. Worked like a champ.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I have a Bushtec, Roadstar model trailer that I have pulled many miles with my Harley, and now setting up for my RT/S. What surprised me was according to published specs my Bushtec weights 75 lbs. less than the Can-Am trailer, both with appx. 20 sq. ft. storage. The RT pulls it like a dream.

BTW I also pulled a Bushtec GL model with a 1800 Gold Wing. The Wing pulls a trailer 500% better than a Harley. Sorry Motor Company fans but it's true. My FLH is now a solo bike and the RT has two up and trailer duty.

While very expensive the Bushtec has 16" wheels and an air ride suspension that's adjusted for the load by adding or subtracting air at the valve at the hitch, Very easy. The trailer will not bounce. Try adjusting the suspension of a Can-Am trailer, then write a report. Those big wheels roll over stuff easy too.

I think what you buy, would or should, depend on how many miles you plan on touring/towing.

Spyder Garage

Default trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Dickthal View Post
    Is it really necessary to buy a brp trailer? I have a 2015 rts and am planning a trip to the west coast this summer and a trailer is a must for us for.
    If you're Spyder is now out of warranty, then has been said, you can utilize a trailer up to a 400 pound tongue weight. If you're Spyder still has the original warranty, then pulling anything but the BRP trailer would invalidate the warranty. BRP as much as says that with the advertising of their trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    If you're Spyder is now out of warranty, then has been said, you can utilize a trailer up to a 400 pound tongue weight. If you're Spyder still has the original warranty, then pulling anything but the BRP trailer would invalidate the warranty. BRP as much as says that with the advertising of their trailer.
    That is not true. What BRP says and I quote. "The only trailer that maintains your vehicle factory warranty." That is from the 2017 brochure. Do not change the words and meaning to something else. So as long as the accessory (trailer) did not cause the issue you will have warranty.

2018 F3 LIMITED