Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT-S 2013. New acquisition. Your feedback

Good day to the whole Spyder community.
    I am pretty new to this forum and I should have registered before to get valuable information available here but, I am where I am and assume this.

OK, I recently bought my first (used) spyder RT-S 2013, 11500km (7150 miles) and so far I am happy. However I did read many issues with this 2013 machine and I am a bit concerned now.
    I know that all recalls, especially around the Heat issue, have been done.
    This being said, I notice that this machine is running at high temperature, especially in slow traffic, without (so far) going into the red section of the heat indicator.

Be honest!

I made a mistake buying this machine or will I enjoy it?
    I am not talking about any potential issues that are linked to usure but mainly about the important issue around the heat problem or other recalls on this machine.
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

on your 2013 RT-S. Once the heat remediation has been completed, most have said the machine is very good. Don't know what you are calling high temperatures, but four to five bars is common for us on the 998 engines. We have a 2011.

I would not worry to much just because you bought a 2013. Ride it, and enjoy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

& I have a 2010 and was also concerned about the heat but I have been assured it is normal. Enjoy your new ryde.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our little corner of the universe!
    As long as all of the heat attenuation protocols have been completed: your bike should be the best of the "998 bikes".
    Now: go have some FUN!!

biker.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If the Price was right!

You have yourself a great machine! I have almost 40000 on a 2013 RTL and we have not had any issues. Trouble free even before the heat recall, which BTW, worked so well that many non2013 RT owners had that fix done on their RT!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

^^ Wot 'e said! Same here, almost 40,000 up without any real worries, never had any of the heat concerns others complained about either, but then it does get hot where I live Down Under, so it might've been hard to tell! I did toss away the crap tires & replaced them with real stuff that handled AND wear better too, fitted one of Bajaron's anti-sway bars to help keep the front end planted, got a proper wheel alignment done to eliminate the inherent wandering, & got the heat recall stuff done anyway; oh, & also fitted a 'Cat eliminator' that significantly improved the mid-range response (& improved the fuel economy a bit too - not quite as good as the 1330 triple, but better than it was!) And because the 2013's got the upgraded suspension & running gear intended to happen when the 'not yet ready' 1330 hit the streets, it arguably made the 2013 Twins the best pick of the bunch by a mile, certainly of the V-Twins, & if you prefer a free revving & instantly responsive fun machine instead of lazy grunt, it's far more of an 'exciting & exhilarating' ride than the 1330's!!

All the earlier 'problems' resolved, improved ride & handling from the suspension upgrade, & the heat issues resolved, what's not to like?!

Ride more, & worry less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Many thanks to all for your feedback and comments. Rather reassuring.

Spyder Garage

Default No Worries!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    I am pretty new to this forum and I should have registered before to get valuable information available here but, I am where I am and assume this.

OK, I recently bought my first (used) spyder RT-S 2013, 11500km (7150 miles) and so far I am happy. However I did read many issues with this 2013 machine and I am a bit concerned now.
    This being said, I notice that this machine is running at high temperature, especially in slow traffic, without (so far) going into the red section of the heat indicator.

Be honest!

I am not talking about any potential issues that are linked to usure but mainly about the important issue around the heat problem or other recalls on this machine.
    Thanks in advance.

I have a 13 RTS with the heat recall completed and live in SW OK where outside temperatures routinely reach over 100 degrees. In my opinion, you definitely did not make a mistake! Yes, while riding slow, the temp gauge may reach 5 bars (never in the red zone) but my RT has never overheated...and I like my 998 much better than my friend's heavy 1330!

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT-S

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post

Be honest!

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 with nearly 37k miles and counting. Yes, my evaporator canister melted due to the heat issues once the fix was applied all has been good. Only issues now are normal wear and tear & lack of ride time due to rain. Ejoy your Spyder.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky