Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Project bike with no keys...

Hi everyone.

Joe here, from Las Vegas, NV... just bought a project bike for my kids Bday, last week, we went to get it about 2 hours away from here in AZ, had to trailer her back here, since she's mostly in parts...

Brief history, the guy I bought it from had her about 2 years in pieces on his garage cause he was going through some marriage issues, since he's divorced by now, he sold the bike and my kid is the "lucky new owner"...

As you can see in the pics (if I manage to upload them OK), she's mostly complete, apparently the original owner didn't have any clue on how to ride, cause he had used her for 27 hours & 510mi, when we went off the road and got scared enough to just get rid of the bike... after a 2 year vacation on someone else garage, now she's in my hands, I've already ordered all plastics missing, etc...

But the kid lost the 1 key I got to the bike, so... I did buy a new ignition switch with 2 brand new keys, and I also ordered a red master key... tried "pairing" the keys to the DESS module, and even got to the part in which I was asked for the "NEXT KEY", but I somehow messed it up, and can't do a thing cause no matter what I try I always get a "BAD KEY" message on the screen on the cluster...

I've been reading quite a lot and I think I have to buy a new DESS module, right?, so... is there any expert on the matter that can let me know what's the correct part number?

so far I've found:
    219800070, AFAIK it should work with any 2008-2013 spyder?, I can seem to find it available anywhere...

or

710001195, listed as compatible with 2012-2013 spyder, will this work?, it's readily available in lots of places...
    Thanks in advance for all your help, and please let me know if posting the VIN number would help somehow, if so I'll post it tomorrow, cause it's 1am and I don't want to post it, unless it is really needed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 Spyder GS990 SE5 (project)

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see.....

Keys are available most anywhere for the early spyders. The fact you can clone the the chip makes it easy to make a spare but you have to have a working key to do that. The new ignition switch needs to be matched to the dess and you may now need to go to a dealer and have them hook up to buds system to do this or they would better know the steps you need to take.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You are correct in that you need a new DESS module. Your existing DESS will only go into programing mode with a previously programed key and you don't have that.

219800070 is not available and Cheap Cycle Parts does not list a replacement. I would call a dealer and see if they can find the correct replacement part number.

710001195 is only listed for 2010 to 2013 RT models. That's according to Cheap Cycle Parts. Not sure what the difference is. Maybe because of the different gauge cluster to interface with.

Also if you can get a used DESS module, a key that goes with it and you already have the master key. That can work, but way more complicated, but can be done.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Keys are available most anywhere for the early spyders. The fact you can clone the the chip makes it easy to make a spare but you have to have a working key to do that. The new ignition switch needs to be matched to the dess and you may now need to go to a dealer and have them hook up to buds system to do this or they would better know the steps you need to take.
    The DESS does not have to matched to the new ignition switch or hooked to BUDS according to the service manual.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for the quick replies...

While doing some part searching I realized that the 219800070 part number is listed as "Ignition Switch & DESS Module Kit", and part number 710001195 is just listed as: DESS Module, maybe I'll get lucky and they are in fact the same but one has a "bundled" part number, a dealer just confirmed it's the correct part number for my bike's VIN.

Just wanted to make the info available here for future reference for anyone with the same type of requirements.

Thanks to everyone, have a great day.

P.S. I'll keep you guys posted on the project status...
    2009 Spyder GS990 SE5 (project)

Spyder Garage

Do please let us know how it works out. Since you are getting a new DESS. It looks like you did not need the master key. First programming no master key needed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has got to be the coolest jigsaw puzzle ever!
    Please let us know how things progress, and the best of luck to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black