Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Project bike with no keys...

Hi everyone.

Joe here, from Las Vegas, NV... just bought a project bike for my kids Bday, last week, we went to get it about 2 hours away from here in AZ, had to trailer her back here, since she's mostly in parts...

Brief history, the guy I bought it from had her about 2 years in pieces on his garage cause he was going through some marriage issues, since he's divorced by now, he sold the bike and my kid is the "lucky new owner"...

As you can see in the pics (if I manage to upload them OK), she's mostly complete, apparently the original owner didn't have any clue on how to ride, cause he had used her for 27 hours & 510mi, when we went off the road and got scared enough to just get rid of the bike... after a 2 year vacation on someone else garage, now she's in my hands, I've already ordered all plastics missing, etc...

But the kid lost the 1 key I got to the bike, so... I did buy a new ignition switch with 2 brand new keys, and I also ordered a red master key... tried "pairing" the keys to the DESS module, and even got to the part in which I was asked for the "NEXT KEY", but I somehow messed it up, and can't do a thing cause no matter what I try I always get a "BAD KEY" message on the screen on the cluster...

I've been reading quite a lot and I think I have to buy a new DESS module, right?, so... is there any expert on the matter that can let me know what's the correct part number?

so far I've found:
    219800070, AFAIK it should work with any 2008-2013 spyder?, I can seem to find it available anywhere...

or

710001195, listed as compatible with 2012-2013 spyder, will this work?, it's readily available in lots of places...
    Thanks in advance for all your help, and please let me know if posting the VIN number would help somehow, if so I'll post it tomorrow, cause it's 1am and I don't want to post it, unless it is really needed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 Spyder GS990 SE5 (project)

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see.....

Keys are available most anywhere for the early spyders. The fact you can clone the the chip makes it easy to make a spare but you have to have a working key to do that. The new ignition switch needs to be matched to the dess and you may now need to go to a dealer and have them hook up to buds system to do this or they would better know the steps you need to take.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You are correct in that you need a new DESS module. Your existing DESS will only go into programing mode with a previously programed key and you don't have that.

219800070 is not available and Cheap Cycle Parts does not list a replacement. I would call a dealer and see if they can find the correct replacement part number.

710001195 is only listed for 2010 to 2013 RT models. That's according to Cheap Cycle Parts. Not sure what the difference is. Maybe because of the different gauge cluster to interface with.

Also if you can get a used DESS module, a key that goes with it and you already have the master key. That can work, but way more complicated, but can be done.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Keys are available most anywhere for the early spyders. The fact you can clone the the chip makes it easy to make a spare but you have to have a working key to do that. The new ignition switch needs to be matched to the dess and you may now need to go to a dealer and have them hook up to buds system to do this or they would better know the steps you need to take.
    The DESS does not have to matched to the new ignition switch or hooked to BUDS according to the service manual.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for the quick replies...

While doing some part searching I realized that the 219800070 part number is listed as "Ignition Switch & DESS Module Kit", and part number 710001195 is just listed as: DESS Module, maybe I'll get lucky and they are in fact the same but one has a "bundled" part number, a dealer just confirmed it's the correct part number for my bike's VIN.

Just wanted to make the info available here for future reference for anyone with the same type of requirements.

Thanks to everyone, have a great day.

P.S. I'll keep you guys posted on the project status...

Spyder Garage

Do please let us know how it works out. Since you are getting a new DESS. It looks like you did not need the master key. First programming no master key needed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has got to be the coolest jigsaw puzzle ever!
    Please let us know how things progress, and the best of luck to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Quick Update...

Hey everyone.

Finally had some time to play with the bike, and I can gladly report that the new DESS module was installed and worked out of the box. As soon as I opened the ignition switch, it booted and about 3 secs later, it displayed the "NEXT KEY" message, so I removed that key, inserted the other one and again after booting and a 5 secs hiatus (which felts like 5 mins... under water...) she finally displayed the long awaited "SUCCESS" message.

Thank you all, and please let me know if I should post new questions as a new thread or continue with this one...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on clearing the first major hurdle!
    You might just as well keep this thread running: no need for a new one!

And we'll be watching!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This has got to be the coolest jigsaw puzzle ever!
    Please let us know how things progress, and the best of luck to you!
    That & project with Dad always leaves fond memories Did with mine while I had him anyway sad to say we lost him before I got my spyder but after he got to see most my recoveries from my injury

(Srz got lil personal there, hard not to when it comes to DAD)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Keep going with this one. Would love to see the outcome.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Can dealers disable DESS? This seems to be the biggest problem maker with this bike, I personally have no use for it, maybe others do but the risk just isn't worth it. A$$holes steal bikes for parts sales, if they want to steel it all you need is 2 6' pipes and 4 strong men to lift and toss in van...Gone in 15 seconds.
    2010 GS SE5 red and black
    1982 Honda GL650 (showroom condition)
    2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you checked on the title. No keys often means stolen. I am not sure why a Spyder was torn apart like that unless they were parting it out. Another red flag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hungryeye View Post
    Can dealers disable DESS? This seems to be the biggest problem maker with this bike, I personally have no use for it, maybe others do but the risk just isn't worth it. A$$holes steal bikes for parts sales, if they want to steel it all you need is 2 6' pipes and 4 strong men to lift and toss in van...Gone in 15 seconds.
    Not all dealers can disable DESS.
    And they probably wouldn't do it, even if they could!
    If you think that you can move my Spyder with 4 strong men, and 2 6' pipes: I want to see it done!

Spyder Garage

3 pipes and 6 mediocre men?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I hope you checked on the title. No keys often means stolen. I am not sure why a Spyder was torn apart like that unless they were parting it out. Another red flag.
    According to the earlier post & attachments, the original seller sold it WITH the Title & a reasonable explanation as to why the (top of) the key wasn't available (but the part stuck in the ign was!) & why/how it was stripped down like it was with replacement parts available; so all up, it sorta sounds waaaaayyyyy less likely that it's going to be stolen - always worth checking tho.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

3 pipes and 6 mediocre men?
    You'd stand a better chance...

But since my Colt .45 ACP holds 7 rounds, and my S&W .45 ACP holds 8: things still aren't looking all that great for your team.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-31-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

But since my Colt .45 ACP holds 7 rounds, and my S&W .45 ACP holds 8: things still aren't looking all that great for your team.

Yes, but you have to sleep.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Then its true, the DESS is useless....But I prefer a Glock 19 9mm with the 33 rd mag, one of them 33 rounds got to bring em down.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Yes, but you have to sleep.
    ...One eye open...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then its true, the DESS is useless....But I prefer a Glock 19 9mm with the 33 rd mag, one of them 33 rounds got to bring em down.
    That's serious overkill... unless an entire platoon of marauders is coming at you!

Spyder Garage

Default Memorial Day update!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the help & encouragement, that and the info in the site has been really helpful.

There's not much to report, but .... we've bought mostly all the plastic parts that she was missing, we also got a new battery 340cca 20amps, and she's finally trying to start, and I say trying cause I guess all that time inside a garage did take it's toll...

When I try to start her, you can hear the engine crank, but it never gets fuel (I guess), I'll play with her more this weekend and check for spark, etc... the only strange thing I've noticed is that even though I filled the fuel tank with fresh gas & just a bit of seafoam to stabilize it, the fuel gauge doesn't move at all, not even 1 notch.

I'll probably start by checking every fuse, replacing the plugs, and hopefully not... cleaning the fuel injectors.

For all of those who think it might be stolen, I do have the title, which is in the name of the original owner, and it's been signed off" in front of a notary, who placed his seal on the title, also the title matches the VIN check I purchased before getting the bike, I also ran the VIN through the NICB site and non issues were reported. I hope I have all my bases cleared.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer

Hi! We like Proshop in Henderson. Great folks, and if you can't get it going, they can. The Spyder riders meet there the first Saturday of the month. We are in Canada, so will miss it. Hope to meet you when we get back. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for the dealer hint

I'll call them today and try to get some pointers on what might be wrong with her, I'm guessing I should keep trying to get her running, at least during the summer while the kids is off school, after that if it isn't working, then I'll just bite the bullet and send her to the pros...

Anyway, I'll be buying an injector cleaner, ultrasonic cleaner and some spark plug checkers later today to keep it up... maybe with some luck and persistence we can pull it off, I'm sire the kid would love to get her running after sending her to the dealer for a couple of days, but I'm trying to create some memories and make a lesson on delayed satisfaction out of this toy...

Have a great day, and ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Default Latest Update!

After tinkering with her a bit more, I think I have a broken fuel pump...

I do have, compression and spark, so I should only be missing fuel, right?, added some starter fluid and I ran for 2 secs, I read somewhere in the manual that you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming about 5 secs just after moving the key to ON position, the kid's bike doesn't do that...

I removed the fuel tank & pump, according to the service manual if you connect pins B & C directly to a well known 12V battery it should work, ours doesn't, after a quick dive in eBay, we bought a used fuel pump for 55 bucks, sure beats the hell out of the 500 for a new one... quick question, will a working used one be enough, or am I being cheap and I should bite the trigger and get the new one?

Thanks for all your help, have a great weekend, and ride safe!

Joe