Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkey Butt

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Monkey Butt

Took my ryde out yesterday and did a few hundred miles. I added an Airhawk MC seat and another foam cushion hoping for a happy ryde but was astoundingly left sore. I have had Corbin, Sergeant, Mustang and another over the years on different rydes only to be left very disappointed. I just don't want to give these people any more of my bucks for a sore butt. Does anyone have any 100% success stories out there? Any aftermarket seats with a guarantee? Any add-on seat covers like an Airhawk.

My butt needs help.....thinking of starting a Patreon account for donations.

Spyder Garage

Russel Day Long. Never would have believed it. But over 14k miles in the last year say I made the right choice.

They live up to the name.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have had Russell Day Longs on my last two bikes ( 2008 Kawasaki Nomad and 2011 Kawasaki Voyager) and can say the Russell is the best aftermarket seat in my opinion. My wife who has had both of her hips replaced bought one for her 2010 RT and is totally thrilled with the seat. I have a production date for my 2016 F3T seat. It's the only seat I will ever by from now on.

Just my 2 cents worth of an opinion.

dave....

Spyder Garage

I'm on my second Russell Daylong. My Nomad and now my RTS. Can ride along time on this seat. Longest day for me was 425 miles. I've had many others and Russell makes the best.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

There is also a powder out there for that. I am happy with my BRP comfort seats, but the AirHawk and sheepskin/gel pad have also come in handy from time to time.

Mustang is also a good seat. Corbins are pretty firm and you either like them or not.

That's my experience in a nutshell. Not shelling out any more cash for seating or Monkey Butt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Road-Kill, I read your post, and then looked to see what spyder you had.

You have a new F3, I am not so familiar with them as far as how good a

shock they have on them. But that is what was the root of my monkey butt

problem on my 2010 RT, the shock was blown from probably day 1, but I had

nothing to compare it with, and rode it for about a year. On short rides around

town I was fine, but when I road 1600 miles in a three day span, thought my

butt was gonna die. Bought bicycle pants and neosporin, and a special baby

powder to apply and until I got the shock replaced in Cuba MO, at the insistence

of the head engineer for BRP Kurt Olstad, was not sure how I was gonna make

the trip back to California. Now I can go up to 700+ miles on my corbin seat.

So if your rear shock is working properly, mine you could push down and the
    bike would bounce back a couple times very quickly. So if it is working properly
    then next resort is to read these 3 pages of threads that have the word Monkey
    or Butt or both in them.Including yours since it is the most recent.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...id=6834973&pp=

Good luck and please comeback and report what the final outcome is in this thread please.

Oh one more thing could possibly help. Changing your riding position with foot
    pegs
    extending your legs, rather than pushing down on floorboards or squeezing
    with your thighs to keep in the seat when riding through turns and a backrest to
    ( I see in your profile you have one) lock you in the seat so there is less friction, maybe worth a try.

TicketBait

Spyder Garage

Default seat

I had a russels daylong on my last BMW.It was the best seat I ever had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Monkey butt" and sore muscles and bones are two entirely different things.

I too am a Russell convert but am afraid to see what the price will be for a full dual seat for an RT.

How do you do when just sitting for long periods of time......like at a ball game or car race ?
    If you have the same problems there then about the only REAL solution is to get yourself to a gym and build up those glutes. Sorry.

Spyder Garage

When I first got my Spyder RT the seat was only good for about 2 hours. I saw Motorcycledave had a gel pad for sale on his website.(he is a sponsor here) . I ordered on and installed it myself. Now that 2hour seat is an all day seat and it cost me less then $100.00

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Took my ryde out yesterday and did a few hundred miles. I added an Airhawk MC seat and another foam cushion hoping for a happy ryde but was astoundingly left sore. I have had Corbin, Sergeant, Mustang and another over the years on different rydes only to be left very disappointed. I just don't want to give these people any more of my bucks for a sore butt. Does anyone have any 100% success stories out there? Any aftermarket seats with a guarantee? Any add-on seat covers like an Airhawk.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dear Monkey Butt...........

I have been attempting to cure that for about 50 years, for the last 25 or so I
    have had very good success with MEDICAL GEL.
    If you go to my other website www.valleymedicalrepair.com you will see that my main
    business is medical equipment repair, as in anything upholstered or covered such as a
    BED for many years I have been installing medical Gel into beds, Wheel Chairs, Medical
    exam tables Physical Therapy tables Dental Chairs and more. In hospitals it is there to
    distribute weight and STOP bed sores, pressure points and hot spots.
    One day about 1988 while riding my Harley and bitching about the crapy stock seat, I got an
    idea and decided to try installing Gel on top of my seat under the upholstery, it worked well
    but it raised the height of the seat so I took it apart again and took out the amount of foam
    from the seat to install the gel into the seat then covered the entire seat with thin stretchy form
    then put the cover back on.... BINGO it worked...
    about 14 years ago I had a meeting with the manufacture of the GEL and gave them the size I wanted,
    and to make it more comfortable I had them adhere memory foam to one side of it.
    Now we call it CONFORMAX because it conforms to the shape of your butt with every move you make.
    All this for $79.95 and the best part YOU DO IT YOURSELF. you can try this and see if it works for you
    or you can spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a seat and hope it works...
    Check my website for photos and detailed instructions on how to install it.
    Ride SAFE
    Dave

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-24-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder seat

On my STS I tried a Comfort Seat and had knee problems due to the seat contour.
    I bought a Gel Pad from MC Dave (he is a sponsor here). Bought a Harbor Freight staple gun to complete my tool set.
    I recontoured the OEM ST Seat and installed the Gel Pad. Dave has great installation instructions.
    It makes a significant improvement in ride comfort.
    Now I can ride all day. Total cost ~$100 with Staple gun, glue, staples and Gel Pad.

Spyder Garage

Re your question "Any aftermarket seats with a guarantee", the answer is yes. Russell Daylong builds your seat to your personal dimensions and riding position requirements. If it doesn't feel right, you send it back and they remodel it. I think they will do that twice. If it is still not right, you get a refund. Yes, they are expensive, especially as you have to send them a seat to modify (buy a cheap second hand one on eBay), but there is a reason for that. I have given up completely buying Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate etc.....great seats, and they MAY work for you, but then again, they may not. I only buy DayLong these days, and that is with the ridiculous shipping costs out here to Aus.

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Does anyone use the wood bead seat covers? I am thinking about trying one.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Does anyone use the wood bead seat covers? I am thinking about trying one.
    Tried the wood beads. They work by moving (not removing) the 2 pressure points that cause the pain. They are cheap so give em a try if you don't mind throwing away a few bucks. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm leaning towards either the Russell Day Long or doing the seat myself. Maybe I'll buy a used seat on Ebay and butcher that, if I fail I can send it to Russell. I don't want to lose my seat/ryde at the beginning of the season for any reason I can avoid. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since you already have an AirHawk, I have two comments:

I had one and found the most relief I got was with minimum pressure.
    That is, just enough air in it so that I could just barely feel the lowest point on my butt touching the seat underneath.
    And with a little re-positioning, that point changes a bit.
    You might want to try varying the air, without the extra foam, before you spend a crap load of money on something else.

And then......the Russell I have on my Vulcan is really good but I still get sore and crampy after about 90 minutes, partly because I can't vary my riding position much. The only solution for that is to stop to stretch more often.

Good luck. Please keep us posted. Likely a lot of us might benefit from your experiences.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

That is, just enough air in it so that I could just barely feel the lowest point on my butt touching the seat underneath.
    You might want to try varying the air, without the extra foam, before you spend a crap load of money on something else.

And then......the Russell I have on my Vulcan is really good but I still get sore and crampy after about 90 minutes, partly because I can't vary my riding position much. The only solution for that is to stop to stretch more often.

Good luck. Please keep us posted. Likely a lot of us might benefit from your experiences.
    about AirHawk. You sit "in" them and not "on" them. The amount of air (not to much) is the secret to a great ride. When you hit the "magic" amount for you, you should be good for many miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    about AirHawk. You sit "in" them and not "on" them. The amount of air (not to much) is the secret to a great ride. When you hit the "magic" amount for you, you should be good for many miles.
    Love my Airhawk! I have used em more then 20 years with great success. I adjusted the air many times on my F3 but the seat needs some other type of love to get it just right. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

There's a reason it's called a "Day Long", Easy Rider......you shouldn't HAVE to vary your riding position at all for the seat to be comfortable "Day Long". That's their guarantee. Did you send it back for modification by Russell? I am not saying this to be picky, I am just interested in whether Russell are failing in their "guarantee"

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm leaning towards either the Russell Day Long or doing the seat myself. Maybe I'll buy a used seat on Ebay and butcher that, if I fail I can send it to Russell. I don't want to lose my seat/ryde at the beginning of the season for any reason I can avoid. My thoughts.
    A Russell dual is about 650.00 its an S4 code, and a 75.00 extra fee for RT cause of the larger size. Cost me 858.00 total with shipping both ways.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Just make sure you don't butcher it too much if you want Russell to modify it, Road-Kill. It needs to be pretty much a stock seat when you send it to them.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I am not saying this to be picky, I am just interested in whether Russell are failing in their "guarantee"
    Alas, they can not guarantee my 70 year old butt.

As I sit here in front of my computer, I'm getting "messages" from the south end telling me it's time to get up and move around.

That didn't happen nearly as quickly 10 years ago.

Thus my earlier comment about keeping in shape.......which I really do NOT do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    A Russell dual is about 650.00 its an S4 code, and a 75.00 extra fee for RT cause of the larger size. Cost me 858.00 total with shipping both ways.
    Thanks......I think.
    Wouldn't have surprised me it it was a lot more than that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just make sure you don't butcher it too much if you want Russell to modify it, Road-Kill. It needs to be pretty much a stock seat when you send it to them.

Pete
    Since when ?? I thought that a bare seat pan was acceptable.

Spyder Garage

Since when ?? I thought that a bare seat pan was acceptable.

This is from the Russell site:

We build on your stock seat. Prices given refer to stock seats only. Aftermarket or altered seats are subject to additional charges.

So, they will accept it, but may charge you more.

I agree, you can't beat a Russell seat. I have one on my Valkyrie and I love it.