Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I'm in Houston now. Jcthorne disabled the DESS and all is well. No worries from now on. See you all at Spyderfest!
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Don don't waist your money fixing a broke system . You need to have JCthorne fix it to where it can not come back to haunt you!
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Best Option

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I'm in Houston now. Jcthorne disabled the DESS and all is well. No worries from now on. See you all at Spyderfest!
    You made the BEST choice of all your options...BRP should offer this option to everyone affected by this night-mare problem engineered in by them...

Spyder Garage

Was great meeting you. Have a safe trip back home AND onto Spyderfest. Here's wishing you ALL that are attending safe travels and hope the weather Gods are kind to you all.

Louise

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SGS RYD View Post
    Was great meeting you. Have a safe trip back home AND onto Spyderfest. Here's wishing you ALL that are attending safe travels and hope the weather Gods are kind to you all.

Louise
    Thank you so much for your great hospitality! It was great to meet you both!
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Also thanks on the heads up info on the new Yokohama S drive front tires. That will be what I go for when it's time.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Was great meeting you and so glad we were able to help and save your trip to Spyderfest. Have a GREAT trip.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default B.E.S.T. Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    it is covered under the B.E.S.T warranty. Deanna
    What makes this paritcular warranty better than another, how much does it cost, is there a link to the warranty, and lastly, is there a mileage or years limitation to the warranty?

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Error Code

The dealer is at the mercy of Can Am - if they say just to replace the module - that is what they do - they replace the parts they are sent. The third module that I have installed is the one with the latest part number as described earlier in this thread.

I'll see what this dealer/service dept. says as they are a brand new Can Am dealer- and what Can Am says.

Will be no problem to drive to Houston and have the 'fix' done - visit my brother and his 2015 RT-Limited as he is in Spring (just south of the Woodlands). Oh - I expect him in my driveway in a hour or so as we will be off to Spyderfest in the AM.

Thanks

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    The dealer is at the mercy of Can Am - if they say just to replace the module - that is what they do - they replace the parts they are sent. The third module that I have installed is the one with the latest part number as described earlier in this thread.

I'll see what this dealer/service dept. says as they are a brand new Can Am dealer- and what Can Am says.

Will be no problem to drive to Houston and have the 'fix' done - visit my brother and his 2015 RT-Limited as he is in Spring (just south of the Woodlands). Oh - I expect him in my driveway in a hour or so as we will be off to Spyderfest in the AM.

Thanks

Don
    From what I understand the module may not be the problem. The ring around where you put the key into the ignition is the antenna or sensor. Right before I had my DESS error, i had washed my spyder. Some say that getting that area wet may be the problem and we most probably will have to ride threw some rain this week. It did not give me any problem after that event. I drove it to Houston and had it fixed. Once it is disabled it is no longer an issue. A dealer can not do what he did. They do not have the advanced BUDS system to just turn it off. If they did and they could, that would open up a whole new can of worms for BRP so what they are doing now is just kicking the can down the road.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    What makes this paritcular warranty better than another, how much does it cost, is there a link to the warranty, and lastly, is there a mileage or years limitation to the warranty?
    The cost of the B.E.S.T warranty : check with your dealership.

Link is : do a search on this site ( upper right hand corner in the white box). I know someone has posted a copy of the B.E.S.T warranty. Mileage or years limitation on the B.E.S.T warranty is only up to 5 years, not sure about mileage limitations .

Some one else can chime in to answer the limitations. Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2021 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post

Thanks

Don
    This is actually not true. Many dealers just read the codes and ask BRP what to replace, letting BRP diagnose and recommend repair procedure and parts to be replaced. They take no initiative or responsibility for the process and just play along. It does not have to be this way.

A GOOD Spyder mechanic can diagnose the problem, tell BRP what they found and seek approval to proceed. If the diagnosis makes sense and is a reasonable path forward, its normally approved.

Its the difference between a real technician and a parts changer. If your dealer is feeding you the line that only brp can determine what to replace, you need a dealer with a better tech.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This is actually not true. Many dealers just read the codes and ask BRP what to replace, letting BRP diagnose and recommend repair procedure and parts to be replaced. They take no initiative or responsibility for the process and just play along. It does not have to be this way.

A GOOD Spyder mechanic can diagnose the problem, tell BRP what they found and seek approval to proceed. If the diagnosis makes sense and is a reasonable path forward, its normally approved.

Its the difference between a real technician and a parts changer. If your dealer is feeding you the line that only brp can determine what to replace, you need a dealer with a better tech.
    Yes and no. Whether the repair is accomplished under warranty, paid for by the owner at a Can Am dealer service department or paid for by the owner at one of rhe many independent shops, eventually someone is approving the repair so the shop gets paid.

If parts are replaced under warranty, in some cases BRP may not approve and pay for the work unless the request is submitted or their actions request are followed. The better rated dealers may have more freedom in accomplishing a repair then submitting for reimbursement.

It is a typical format, used by many industries regarding warranty repairs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    From what I understand the module may not be the problem. The ring around where you put the key into the ignition is the antenna or sensor. Right before I had my DESS error, i had washed my spyder. Some say that getting that area wet may be the problem and we most probably will have to ride threw some rain this week. It did not give me any problem after that event. I drove it to Houston and had it fixed. Once it is disabled it is no longer an issue. A dealer can not do what he did. They do not have the advanced BUDS system to just turn it off. If they did and they could, that would open up a whole new can of worms for BRP so what they are doing now is just kicking the can down the road.
    Possibly in your situation the antenna fouled from moisture. But overall, the failures have happened when dry, wet, away from power lines, near powerlines, cell phones nearby, cell phones far away.

The latest PN listed have been utilized on the 2016 and 2017 series with minimal reports of failures. The earlier 2014 and 2015 machines came with many variations and the module has seen 6 revisions since the initial release in 14.

Many years ago I researched purchasing the aftermarket BUDS license and items needed to disable DESS. At this point in time, BRP seems to have the issue well resolved from 2016 and after. The 2014 and 2015 machines under warranty should likely be upgraded to the most current module and switch if a DESS failure is displayed. Out of warranty, the module is about $125, but the switch is expensive. In those cases turning it off may be a less expensive alternative.

The one downside to disabling DESS I learned as I was shopping for BUDS, is a joy ride theft is much easier. Granted, the pros will grab a Spyder by sliding it on a flat bed. If a would be joy rider happened to pick the one Of the few Spyders with a disabled DESS, if the key can be turned, it can be started. Luckily those in the know assume all the Spyders have a working DESS, so joy rides are seldom read about.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes and no. Whether the repair is accomplished under warranty, paid for by the owner at a Can Am dealer service department or paid for by the owner at one of rhe many independent shops, eventually someone is approving the repair so the shop gets paid.

If parts are replaced under warranty, in some cases BRP may not approve and pay for the work unless the request is submitted or their actions request are followed. The better rated dealers may have more freedom in accomplishing a repair then submitting for reimbursement.

It is a typical format, used by many industries regarding warranty repairs.

Was
    not debating the need for approval. My point was passive vs active participant in the repair process. A GOOD tech diagnoses the problem and presents the situation along with recommended repair to BRP for approval. A parts changer presents BRP with the error code and awaits instructions. Which would you rather have working on your bike?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Possibly in your situation the antenna fouled from moisture. But overall, the failures have happened when dry, wet, away from power lines, near powerlines, cell phones nearby, cell phones far away.

The latest PN listed have been utilized on the 2016 and 2017 series with minimal reports of failures. The earlier 2014 and 2015 machines came with many variations and the module has seen 6 revisions since the initial release in 14.

Many years ago I researched purchasing the aftermarket BUDS license and items needed to disable DESS. At this point in time, BRP seems to have the issue well resolved from 2016 and after. The 2014 and 2015 machines under warranty should likely be upgraded to the most current module and switch if a DESS failure is displayed. Out of warranty, the module is about $125, but the switch is expensive. In those cases turning it off may be a less expensive alternative.

The one downside to disabling DESS I learned as I was shopping for BUDS, is a joy ride theft is much easier. Granted, the pros will grab a Spyder by sliding it on a flat bed. If a would be joy rider happened to pick the one Of the few Spyders with a disabled DESS, if the key can be turned, it can be started. Luckily those in the know assume all the Spyders have a working DESS, so joy rides are seldom read about.

Without
    a key, it cannot be unlocked or started. DESS or not. Yes locks can be picked. DESS can be disabled easier than picking the lock and without a valid key present.

The trouble with DESS is it only causes problems for legitimate owners and does not deter theft. Any thief good enough to pick the lock can disable DESS as well. It offers no additional protection. BRP purchased commercial software for the system and left the keys in the open. This is nothing like OEM systems from Ford, GM etc. All of which are locked down without valid keys, even with software. No valid key requires replacement and reprogramming of a new security module along with new keys.

Lock your bike, including the steering column when you leave it. That is as good as it gets.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 04-26-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Without
    a key, it cannot be unlocked or started. DESS or not. Yes locks can be picked. DESS can be disabled easier than picking the lock and without a valid key present.

The trouble with DESS is it only causes problems for legitimate owners and does not deter theft. Any thief good enough to pick the lock can disable DESS as well. It offers no additional protection. BRP purchased commercial software for the system and left the keys in the open. This is nothing like OEM systems from Ford, GM etc. All of which are locked down without valid keys, even with software. No valid key requires replacement and reprogramming of a new security module along with new keys.

Lock your bike, including the steering column when you leave it. That is as good as it gets.
    JC, I have a very good understanding of DESS, how it works and how to disable it. Once disabled, a long screwdriver and hammer will turn the Spyders lock assembly.

Yes, a smart theif would be able to pop the frunk and disable DESS, then use the screwdriver, but those guys find it more relaxing to work in a warehouse after the Spyder is delivered on a flatbed.

Spyder Garage

Was
    not debating the need for approval. My point was passive vs active participant in the repair process. A GOOD tech diagnoses the problem and presents the situation along with recommended repair to BRP for approval. A parts changer presents BRP with the error code and awaits instructions. Which would you rather have working on your bike?
    Having been on both sides of this fixing corporate jets. Simply we get paid on Friday...Sometimes the best techs are at the mercy of the system.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Rt D.E.S.S. Error

As I'm typing this my Spyder is in the shop dealer replaced the DESS modular - After they replaced the modular all was well - After a couple of days they went to move my bike and the DESS error code came back. Now after a week of trying to get the error code back can't get the code to come back.

After reading some of the statements from above - Is there anyone closer then Texas that can disable the DESS modular? I live in Michigan.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy about taking my Spyder for any kind of trip and getting stranded

2014 RT - D.E.S.S Error Code - Modular replace - Want to disable Modular

Any help would be appreciated

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    I think you said you have no warranty coverage right now, correct? If so, the BEST warranty isn't available. You have to buy it before the current warranty expires. Your best bet will be to search for third party program and hope for the best. Cost

BEST will be honored by all Spyder dealers. That's the strongest value of it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLMaurer58 View Post
    As I'm typing this my Spyder is in the shop dealer replaced the DESS modular - After they replaced the modular all was well - After a couple of days they went to move my bike and the DESS error code came back. Now after a week of trying to get the error code back can't get the code to come back.

After reading some of the statements from above - Is there anyone closer then Texas that can disable the DESS modular? I live in Michigan.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy about taking my Spyder for any kind of trip and getting stranded

2014 RT - D.E.S.S Error Code - Modular replace - Want to disable Modular

Any help would be appreciated
    Changing the module alone is crossed fingers fix, probably authorized by BRP. Originally, but this takes longer and costs more, Can Am had dealers replacing the module and the ignition switch assembly, plus the trunk and trailer lock.

if the dealer saw it, get them on changing the rest of the parts.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FIXING THE JOY RIDING ISSUE

Paul I agree with all that you say ........ But the JOY RIDING can very easily be stopped by adding a switch in any of the Ignition wires OR in the POWER wire. Once any electrical path is OPEN the Spyder can not be started ................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Paul I agree with all that you say ........ But the JOY RIDING can very easily be stopped by adding a switch in any of the Ignition wires OR in the POWER wire. Once any electrical path is OPEN the Spyder can not be started ................. Mike
    Mike, long before others even researched disabling the DESS I was seriously looking into purchasing an aftermarket BUDS setup and spent some time talking with the company that sells them.

At that time, DESS was a serious semi common problem. Disabling DESS appealed to me then. For various reasons, I decided against setting up to do Spyder work, except on my own and maybe for friends.

Fast forward several years to the current time. Yes, DESS can be disabled. Can Am has done well to solve the issues, although their timeline to get there was very LLOOOOOONNNGGGGG.

In this modern era, with F3s having rapid boot up of the computer, and no doubt electronics being improved each year, I suspect and anticipate that BRP will go to an improved BUDS setup. Buds is many years into its generation 2 design. I have no proof yet, just a hunch. With it the likelihood to read and evaluate more parameters is obvious. If this does happen, and the next generation of BUDS see a disabled DESS, it may read that as a major fault or stolen vehicle.

Currently it is not there yet.

If DESS can be repaired under warranty, then it should be. If DESS can not be repaired under warranty, then disabling may be a good option.

If I was suffering a DESS failure outside of warranty, I would replace the module first on my own. If the fault remains, then evaluating further makes sense. I do realize there are reports here of module only changes with continued failures, but those have been long term and ongoing so should fall into a warranty situation.

Adding a vehicle immobilizer is super easy, switch in the fuel pump wire. No large gauge wires to tamper with, no contending with three ignition coils feed wires. Simple and easy.

Spyder Garage

If, If, If. Fear mongering.

Sorry, I would rather ride than let a bike sit at the dealer for weeks on end hoping for a fix and then hoping it does not shut the bike down while a thousand miles from home. I KNOW my bike will not DESS error on me.

IF, the disabled DESS ever becomes an issue, you do realize its just as easy to turn it back on? System does not even forget the previously learned keys. And new ones can be programmed. Been there and done that just to find out.

BRP created a mess for the owners and is making it worse by dragging their feet in fixing. And on a system that I still maintain does very little to actually increase any real security.

Any new BUDS system would be new on both the bike end and the software end. IE new model year with different hardware. Could happen and likely will. Other OEMs have been through this. It makes it more difficult to service the older models as the newer software, while supposed to be backwards compatible, seldom truly is. I work with a Ford dealer on this very issue dealing with PATS systems on 2 generation old electronics in trucks. Current software is slow and buggy as hell on the older systems. Sometimes bricking the old processors that are not available new as replacements. Sticky wicket.

But its all neither here nor there at the moment. 2017 bikes use the same systems as 2008 with some updates, including DESS, along the way. BUDS has been updated many times throughout but its still the same basic system. The licence you pay for includes the product updates during the life of the licence.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Dess error

Does anyone know of a dealer or repair shop that can TURN OFF DESS for me?