Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Second Impressions

Went for my second ride today, about 60 miles' worth. Not much but enough to figure some things out. Seemed twitchy again, especially at higher speeds so concentrated on being more light and relaxed on the handlebars. Didn't help much till I figured out I'm still overcontrolling, getting used to all the different inputs needed for an anti-trike. Couldn't figure out in the curves if I needed to push more than pull, or vice versa. Then I remembered that the best way with sensitive systems is to basically think of doing something without making a conscious effort, and that took care of things. A super-light touch does the trick.

Then there's what track to take. Especially a problem avoiding rocks and potholes on the canyon road; can't take them down the middle because then the rear tire hits em dead-on. Same with pavement where the riding surfaces are to either side and a different surface where the rear tire rides. So constant monitoring of the road ahead to avoid surprises is the order of the day.

Installed Doc Humphreys' vibration damper yesterday, definitely not buzzy anymore. Has a bit of a whine around 50-55 but otherwise not noticeable. Good buy.

Lots of friendlies in the mountains today but no Spyders. Everybody gave the standard biker greeting. Beautiful skies, around 60º, just a nice day to ride. There was a Mustang Meet in Alamo, talked to some nice folks from Tall Man Customs in Hobbs. They had a custom '66 'Stang that was just gorgeous. Told them I had a new Spyder and they were envious! Just a fun day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're working things out...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle

After you go into curve, start accelerating coming out. Make sure you are in the power band. Also lean into curve. Think you will be pleasantly surprised how much easier the curves become.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flyday58 View Post
    . . . Then I remembered that the best way with sensitive systems is to basically think of doing something without making a conscious effort, and that took care of things. . . .
    When my Dad was trying to teach me to drive, and later when he tried to teach me to fly, he'd say, "Make it do what you want it to do." In other words, don't think of what I need to do, but think about what I want the craft to do. Eventually the vehicle became an extension of my will!

(BTW, he eventually sent me to driver's ed and hired another flight instructor for me.)
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

As for avoiding potholes you eventually learn how to skirt them with the inside edge of one of the front wheels then skirt it with the rear wheel. Just takes a little practice.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Your getting that all important road time in. As you can see you will find the way to the best ryde for you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great replies. Sadly Dust Devil is gonna be sitting cold and lonely in the garage for a month while we trek back east for the annual relative visits. Hope I don't forget too much in the interim. Wonder if the wife would drive the truck and let me tag along as drogue...clap2.gif

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the battery tender while you are gone. I was in you area last weekend. Went down Cox canyon around to Mayhill. This weekend I.m in south Texas to visit the folks. Should be about 1000 miles round trip by the time I get home tomorrow.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You've got nearly 14" between the inside of your front tires and the outside of your rear tire. Big enough for most road obstacles. If you realize you can't "thread the needle" hit it with the back tire.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    You've got nearly 14" between the inside of your front tires and the outside of your rear tire. Big enough for most road obstacles. If you realize you can't "thread the needle" hit it with the back tire.
    Yep, and so far it's only an occasional issue on the canyon road when a small tumbledown happens and several rocks get strewn across the path. I'll most likely stop and clear the way in thoses instances.

One other issue on mountain riding is coming around a blind corner to discover a rock in your lane. Happens all the time but on the Spyder it becomes a bigger and sometimes, more dangerous deal. There was a grapefruit-sized dude right in the middle of my lane while in the H2 coming to work Sunday. If I was on the Spyder with oncoming traffic, I don't think that sucker wouldv'e cleared my underbelly. Could have been ugly.

So if you're tooling around the Sacs and get behind a slow-moving Pearl (so-called, still don't see any "pearl" in there) Red RTL, it's prolly me. I've survived 22 years with Uncle Sam and 27 with the airlines, let's see if I can die an old man, warm in my bed. To be fair, most riders I see up here are very conservative in the twisties, the cruisers and tourers for sure. Never know when you come round the bend what you'll meet: deer, elk, turkey, rocks, or just the idiot in your lane cutting through the curve.

WOW, when did I turn this into a soapbox.gif?? Sorry folks, I'll behave! Sooo, anybody out there lifted their Spyder? I figure about 6" should do it...
    Jk, oc.

Spyder Garage

Default Why we don't do what we did do anymore.......

Quote Originally Posted by flyday58 View Post
    Yep, and so far it's only an occasional issue on the canyon road when a small tumbledown happens and several rocks get strewn across the path. I'll most likely stop and clear the way in thoses instances.

One other issue on mountain riding is coming around a blind corner to discover a rock in your lane. Happens all the time but on the Spyder it becomes a bigger and sometimes, more dangerous deal. There was a grapefruit-sized dude right in the middle of my lane while in the H2 coming to work Sunday. If I was on the Spyder with oncoming traffic, I don't think that sucker wouldv'e cleared my underbelly. Could have been ugly.

So if you're tooling around the Sacs and get behind a slow-moving Pearl (so-called, still don't see any "pearl" in there) Red RTL, it's prolly me. I've survived 22 years with Uncle Sam and 27 with the airlines, let's see if I can die an old man, warm in my bed. To be fair, most riders I see up here are very conservative in the twisties, the cruisers and tourers for sure. Never know when you come round the bend what you'll meet: deer, elk, turkey, rocks, or just the idiot in your lane cutting through the curve.

WOW, when did I turn this into a soapbox.gif?? Sorry folks, I'll behave! Sooo, anybody out there lifted their Spyder? I figure about 6" should do it...
    Jk, oc.

Ah...Youth! That's when we did what we wanted, when we wanted and how we wanted. We lived life with the motto of "NO FEAR!" We honestly didn't know we could hurt ourselves - - much less DIE!...........Now that we're old farts, our bodies are experiencing the resulting aches and pains of every little bump, fall, slip and slide; and let's not forget those times when we really did a major crash and burn on ourselves. So now we all know what can happen and we're determined not to go there! No wonder it's said that "Youth is Wasted on The Young." No sh*t...........

Said by either my husband or myself after watching a person or an athlete slam-dunk themselves........."Oooooh, he'll feel THAT in 20 or 30 years!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    Ah...Youth! That's when we did what we wanted, when we wanted and how we wanted. We lived life with the motto of "NO FEAR!" We honestly didn't know we could hurt ourselves - - much less DIE!...........Now that we're old farts, our bodies are experiencing the resulting aches and pains of every little bump, fall, slip and slide; and let's not forget those times when we really did a major crash and burn on ourselves. So now we all know what can happen and we're determined not to go there! No wonder it's said that "Youth is Wasted on The Young." No sh*t...........

Said by either my husband or myself after watching a person or an athlete slam-dunk themselves........."Oooooh, he'll feel THAT in 20 or 30 years!
    Yessiree. My old adaptation of the saying went "No fear...no *@##!!$*&@!* brains!" Actually still applies. I'm just really low on wads left to shoot, wanna make sure they're worthwhile shots. Like buying a brand-new 2016 RTL without so much as a test ride. Pretty sure that one was worth it!
    mo money.gif