Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RT 1330 MPG ??

Spyder Garage

Default RT 1330 MPG ??

Hello again gang. Wanted some feed back on mpg on your guys and gals rides. I used to get 42-45 mpg on avg. weather solo or 2-up on my scooter but now I'm getting 35-37 mpg riding solo. I run SHELL prem. 95% of the time (try to keep that ethanol crap out of my recreational vehicles when I can) and fill the tank to the same level each time w/bike level. Air filter is new and only have 17,000 miles on the machine, so plugs should be OK. Gave up my "crotch-rocket" days so my loud handle d/n get twisted as hard now-a- days. So my question is- are your mpg's comparable or is gas so refined today that there is less "poop" in it to light the fires?? Thanks again in advance and safe riding to all. MAC

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My MPG is totally dependent on how fast I ride, and if I am riding the twisties. Doesn't matter if I am solo or with Pebbles. If I am on the interstates, I am doing about 80mph, and if I am on the twisties I am giving my throttle hell. Either way, I am not getting the best mpg that I can. I average about 36mpg, but I really don't care about that. I ride Cocaine to have fun!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Hello again gang. Wanted some feed back on mpg on your guys and gals rides. I used to get 42-45 mpg on avg. weather solo or 2-up on my scooter but now I'm getting 35-37 mpg riding solo. I run SHELL prem. 95% of the time (try to keep that ethanol crap out of my recreational vehicles when I can) and fill the tank to the same level each time w/bike level. Air filter is new and only have 17,000 miles on the machine, so plugs should be OK. Gave up my "crotch-rocket" days so my loud handle d/n get twisted as hard now-a- days. So my question is- are your mpg's comparable or is gas so refined today that there is less "poop" in it to light the fires?? Thanks again in advance and safe riding to all. MAC
    In the 18,600 that I rode my '14 RTL, I saw 41 mpg one time. I normally got around 34-37 mpg riding solo. A few times I only got around 32 mpg. Really didn't put a lot of thought into it. I just rode and figured the gas may be how I was riding along with the wind, terrain, speed, etc.. Keep in mind that the Spyder in the RT series weighs in at a 1000#. For the record, my old 80(1340 CC) EVO Harley got 45-50 mpg mostly on 87 octane ethanol blend gas.

Spyder Garage

Default MPG

i aveage between 37 & 39, and 40 when going down-hill....
    as for 92 octane... not needed... these run just as well on 87.... i've been riding these since 2009 with a total of almost 100,000 miles of smiles, and have had both the 990 & now the 1330, and i find ZERO advantage to using premium gas, neither in performance or MPG....
    your call however....
    ride on....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

My average since day one is 36.3 with 23K+ on the ODO. When the bride's with me I behave myself and I can get to or a little over 40. When solo I'm having as much fun as possible. Read that anyway you choose.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i aveage between 37 & 39, and 40 when going down-hill....
    as for 92 octane... not needed... these run just as well on 87.... i've been riding these since 2009 with a total of almost 100,000 miles of smiles, and have had both the 990 & now the 1330, and i find ZERO advantage to using premium gas, neither in performance or MPG....
    your call however....
    ride on....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    .............What concerns me about your mileage ( I avg 40 on 87 oct. ) is how much it has dropped ........ I think you were getting un-believably HIGH mpg's and now are getting very low mpg's ( for a 1330 ) . Dramatic drops in mileage tell me something is not right with the engine or transmission -- IF you are driving the same ......... jmho ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Around town, we can get low to mid 30's, if the speed is kept around 60ish on the highway it will get high 30's.

Highway runs at 70 or higher get between 28 and 30 mpg.

This is with 93 octane and the results are consistant since after break in.

Adding, never run in eco mode, have tested both eco on or off, results are very close unless going slower or less twist of the throttle.
    Last edited by PMK; 04-22-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure you have not changed your driving style?
    Length of rides, shorter rides take more fuel?
    Where you ride, more city driving?
    Have you changed windshield or other accessories?
    Your mpg was very good to start with. Are you sure your calculations are correct?
    Oil level? Too much oil will reduce power and mpg.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have a 15 RT-Ltd and I get 40-45 mpg in Eco mode all of the time, and I leave it in Eco mode. Jacque has an F3-S and she gets the same. I will get less when Eco mode is off.

Rob
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 05:41 PM.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This could be partly explained by a change in the gasoline......even if you are getting it from the same station.

It is the time of year to change to "summer blend" gas in most areas of the country.

IF....the pump at the station you are using has a sticker on it saying "May contain up to 10% ethanol " then maybe it contained none up until recently and now it has near to 10%. That can make a 3-4% difference in mileage.

P.S. Glad to hear that regular is OK......for us old farts who aren't pushing the performance envelope.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This could just be the results of a "Winter Blend" that is affecting your fuel economy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Another vote for "winter blend." My 's always do less mileage the first tank or so. Then we are back to the "normal" 39-41 for the 1330 and 31 or so for the 998.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I seem to get about 35-37 avg as well. have never seen any 40's.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 05:41 PM.
    Ranman42

Spyder Garage

I get about 43 mpg

Spyder Garage

I get 35-37 normally,12,500 miles so far. I have only got 40 on the Blue Ridge Parkway running 45 mph .
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Those of you getting milage in the high 30's or even 40's, are you riding a 1330 RT series, and are you listing milage as highway mpg where you run at 70 mph or faster?

These bikes get thirsty at anything over 65, even if it is all highway miles.

Solo, all highway at 75 ish, 160 miles between fill ups and seeing low 30 mpg.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    I get 35-37 normally,12,500 miles so far. I have only got 40 on the Blue Ridge Parkway running 45 mph .
    Love your icon pic!

Only done one fill up, too early to know for me, but every ride will have a 5000 foot vertical section over a 16 mile run.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .............What concerns me about your mileage ( I avg 40 on 87 oct. ) is how much it has dropped ........ I think you were getting un-believably HIGH mpg's and now are getting very low mpg's ( for a 1330 ) . Dramatic drops in mileage tell me something is not right with the engine or transmission -- IF you are driving the same ......... jmho ...Mike
    My riding habits have not changed, hence the post. Machine appears to be running fine (no codes, bells, and/or whistles) like a lot of you people report in other post. Being and ex- wing owner/operator the machine has been very reliable and has not given us any issues to date. Quite pleased at this time. It appears that my mpg is not too far off from what the rest of you are getting so I don't feel that I need to worry much about it since I do ride this for enjoyment purposes like the 45 yrs. prior on two- wheelers for the most part. Thanks!! MAC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Around town, we can get low to mid 30's, if the speed is kept around 60ish on the highway it will get high 30's.

Highway runs at 70 or higher get between 28 and 30 mpg.

This is with 93 octane and the results are consistant since after break in.

Adding, never run in eco mode, have tested both eco on or off, results are very close unless going slower or less twist of the throttle.
    Never have used eco mode, Don't feel the need to have lights to tell me when to shift but I guess it's there for a reason. I use premium to keep the water out of the fuel system do to the fact that it sits for a week or so between rides. Don't do a lot of I-state running where we live unless on a long 5,000 mile trip to connect up to 2-laners,hotels,fuel,etc. mostly 45-60 mph riding. Thanks!! MAC

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    My riding habits have not changed, hence the post. Machine appears to be running fine (no codes, bells, and/or whistles) like a lot of you people report in other post. Being and ex- wing owner/operator the machine has been very reliable and has not given us any issues to date. Quite pleased at this time. It appears that my mpg is not too far off from what the rest of you are getting so I don't feel that I need to worry much about it since I do ride this for enjoyment purposes like the 45 yrs. prior on two- wheelers for the most part. Thanks!! MAC
    Mac like you I'm an x- goldwinger ......... my concern isn't what your MPG's are ............ it's the CHANGE ... When there is that big a difference something major has occurred ........ On the race track they expect to get " X " number of laps, if there is a difference of even TWO laps they have a heart attack, they know something has happened ..... I know you aren't a racer but the principle still applies ..... Gas mileage is a Barometer for engine performance ....... it's not always about being thrifty (cheap ) ...... What does a Doctor ask when you come in???? " where does it hurt!!!!! .......... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Are you sure you have not changed your driving style?
    Length of rides, shorter rides take more fuel?
    Where you ride, more city driving?
    Have you changed windshield or other accessories?
    Your mpg was very good to start with. Are you sure your calculations are correct?
    Oil level? Too much oil will reduce power and mpg.
    Rides haven't changed. The wife and I went for a 200 miler yesterday and we got 38 mpg. I think Bob D. may have the right idea about the winter blend fuel issue. That could be it right there. I just get excited easily at my age and try to enjoy every minute of it while I can and no I'm not going to see my doctor if it last more than 4 hrs. Thanks!! MAC

Spyder Garage

I've pretty much stopped tracking mileage and just enjoying the ride. When I get to 1 bar I fill up regardless of how many miles on the trip od. But I agree the mileage goes to hell on the hwy over 65-70. Lucky to get 160-180 miles on hwy but have gone like 220 miles if just cruising locally < 55 mph. In town alot of stop and go its kinda like the hwy with a range for < 160ish miles.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Those of you getting milage in the high 30's or even 40's, are you riding a 1330 RT series, and are you listing milage as highway mpg where you run at 70 mph or faster?

These bikes get thirsty at anything over 65, even if it is all highway miles.

Solo, all highway at 75 ish, 160 miles between fill ups and seeing low 30 mpg.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mac like you I'm an x- goldwinger ......... my concern isn't what your MPG's are ............ it's the CHANGE ... When there is that big a difference something major has occurred ........ On the race track they expect to get " X " amount of laps , if there is a difference of even TWO laps they have a heart attack , they know something has happened ..... I know you aren't a racer but the principle still applies ..... Gas mileage is a Barometer for engine performance ....... it's not always about being thrifty ( cheap ) ...... What does a Doctor ask when you come in ???? " where does it hurt !!!!! .......... Mike
    I can relate to what you are explaining because I used to be a desert racer and yes, I had to know how far I could go at race speeds on a 4.5 gal. tank so I could set my pit crews up during a 500+ mile desert race. Because it can get pretty lonely stuck out at night in the middle of the neveda/calif. desert watching your competition fly by. But back on topic, I feel that Bob D. may have the answer I'll have to wait and see. Again thanks and now I need to go out in the shop and dig for the 8 zerk fittings on the front susp. because the wife is threatening me with bodily harm if I don't get out of the house !!MAC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This could just be the results of a "Winter Blend" that is affecting your fuel economy...
    Bob, I think you might be on to something here. I might have jumped the gun on this one. Toooo much time on my hands and the mind starts to over think things. Thanks!! MAC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far... 38.354079 mpg.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black