Spyder Garage

Default I just want to ride (A new Spyder rider concern)

1st off I'm new to this forum (never been in one in my life), I'm also a new Spyder rider / owner.

I bought a used 2012 Spyder RS-S SE5 it had 1200 miles (Ish) on it when I bought it in December (Live in WI so not much chance to ride till lately). I now have been out on it a couple of times LOVE it accept... I've burned through more gas than ever! I now have 1400 miles (Ish) been through 2 tanks of fuel. The 1st tank I hadn't read the bible yet (Do's & Do Not's for New Spyder Owners) which in all honesty should be printed in the owners manual!!! So the 1st tank I was shifting way to early (Like every new idiot). So the 2nd time I filled up I made sure I fueled up to what I would say might be 1 in. or so under the filler hole. I went for 2 rides which have totaled 77 miles shifting higher (6000 RPM's) and trying not to let the RPM's fall below the 4300 RPM # in any gear. My fuel light came on @ 77 miles!!! I shined a light in the tank and I'm way down on fuel (Gauge working I would say). MY BIG QUESTION IS... is this normal to only be able to ride these Spyder's 77 miles before you start looking for a gas station???

Spyder Garage

Not even broke in yet

Will get better with mileage . I get about 130

Spyder Garage

If you said it was down an inch to start then you really need to fill it up all the way. It takes some babying with the pumps we have in california, but seriously is worth it. I probably get the worst gas mileage out of mine cuz I am heavy on the throttle, believe I get only 22 mpg. I usually gas up between 110-130 miles. I have run out of fuel 3 times on long trips. I am an expert now. I carry a red can on the long trips now. The newer spyders have a much longer range.

Spyder Garage

Default mileage check for me

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    1st off I'm new to this forum (never been in one in my life), I'm also a new Spyder rider / owner.

I bought a used 2012 Spyder RS-S SE5 it had 1200 miles (Ish) on it when I bought it in December (Live in WI so not much chance to ride till lately). I now have been out on it a couple of times LOVE it accept... I've burned through more gas than ever! I now have 1400 miles (Ish) been through 2 tanks of fuel. The 1st tank I hadn't read the bible yet (Do's & Do Not's for New Spyder Owners) which in all honesty should be printed in the owners manual!!! So the 1st tank I was shifting way to early (Like every new idiot). So the 2nd time I filled up I made sure I fueled up to what I would say might be 1 in. or so under the filler hole. I went for 2 rides which have totaled 77 miles shifting higher (6000 RPM's) and trying not to let the RPM's fall below the 4300 RPM # in any gear. My fuel light came on @ 77 miles!!! I shined a light in the tank and I'm way down on fuel (Gauge working I would say). MY BIG QUESTION IS... is this normal to only be able to ride these Spyder's 77 miles before you start looking for a gas station???

Mine is a 2014 RTL . Over 15,000 miles now. My usual fillup is at 160 or so miles. I keep track of mileage pretty regularly at fillup. Overall I have averaged 30 to 34 MPG. Includes 3 1500 mile trips last 3 years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your fuel range will probably work out to be okay... It takes a while to find the "safe" parameters...
    Relax, and enjoy the Ryde!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Mine is a 2014 RTL . Over 15,000 miles now. My usual fillup is at 160 or so miles. I keep track of mileage pretty regularly at fillup. Overall I have averaged 30 to 34 MPG. Includes 3 1500 mile trips last 3 years.
    He has an RS

Spyder Garage

Hi JAS,

Re: 1st off I'm new to this forum

We all were . . . . . once. Kick back & enjoy this place; it will be worth it.

Re: start looking for a gas station???

I have an '08 SE5; very similar. In town mileage is simply terrible. Way too much time in the lower gears. On the open road I get around 25-30 MPG. Not the best but OK for the Spyder experience payback.

My '03 Toyota pickup beats the Spyder on mileage in every category; put it is not as much fun.

Hang around here for awhile - get more saddle time in on your Spyder - keep asking questions => that's how to enjoy a forum IMO.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I did about a 100-mile ride today w/70* weather; 2nd time on her since last Fall => let the smiles continue.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

We go 150 miles on a tank with our 2011 RT. Consistently. I get over 200 on the 1330.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a 2014 RS-S

and I get at least 150 miles out of a full tank.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you fill up don't insert the pump nozzle too far or you won't get a full tank. Fill till the pump shuts off then pull the nozzle out a bit more and fill again until you get a little gas through the vent.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

To both the spyder world and this awesome site great choice of ryde... Mileage has so many variables it is hard to say. I have a 2012 RS Se5 and average 33 mpg. I have gotten as much as 180 miles on a tank but do fill it till it bubbles at the vent (not easy to do in CA). Yours will get there with time. These are not economical rydes... but I have had vehicles that got 10 to 17 mpg...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default used to a nozzle acc called the gas hog

Last edited by Princeau99; 04-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpyderRyder View Post
    and I get at least 150 miles out of a full tank.
    From 2013 onwards the RS had a different engine which was more economical, top HP and torque at lower revs but was slower overall.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RS. I'm normally looking for a gas station at 200km (120miles) and worrying at 220km (135 miles). If I've been on a particularly twisty/fun road those figures can drop by 20km.

I take a lot of care when filling up to get the last drop of gas in the tank, as others have mentioned there's a bit of an art to it.

I also have panniers purely for carrying extra gas cans when doing long journeys. gas stations can be few and far between here, particularly at night.

Range is one bad but not too bad for a motorbike, anyone who's had a old Suzuki Intruder will know exactly how poor a range some bikes have:-)
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 04-21-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Running Out of Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    If you said it was down an inch to start then you really need to fill it up all the way. It takes some babying with the pumps we have in california, but seriously is worth it. I probably get the worst gas mileage out of mine cuz I am heavy on the throttle, believe I get only 22 mpg. I usually gas up between 110-130 miles. I have run out of fuel 3 times on long trips. I am an expert now. I carry a red can on the long trips now. The newer spyders have a much longer range.
    You mentioned running out of fuel three times. Don't forget to check out the website, www.mymagictank.com. You can buy a container as little as a half liter of non flammable fuel to use in the event of an emergency. And store it in a saddlebag. With an indefinite shelf life. The two cylinder, 998cc engine on the 2012 RT-SE5, has not been the most fuel efficient that I've encountered.

Spyder Garage

& 100m a tank with the 998 is bout par. Ethanol free gas will help gain about 11-20 more mpg I've noticed.(can be hard to find tho) Also being a used bike you dont know if the previous owner did unnecessary adjustments or "performance" changes Get to know you bike & yall will be great friends
    http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=

Also consider trying to eliminate some variables, keep to only one octane level & a preferred station if you can. (to really track you tank mileage you have to only ride one way)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Princeau99 View Post
    Here is the Gas Hog device:
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/GAS-HOG-Perfec...535?nav=SEARCH

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    To both the spyder world and this awesome site great choice of ryde... Mileage has so many variables it is hard to say. I have a 2012 RS Se5 and average 33 mpg. I have gotten as much as 180 miles on a tank but do fill it till it bubbles at the vent (not easy to do in CA). Yours will get there with time. These are not economical rydes... but I have had vehicles that got 10 to 17 mpg...
    Gene thought u had sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    & 100m a tank with the 998 is bout par. Ethanol free gas will help gain about 11-20 more mpg I've noticed.(can be hard to find tho) Also being a used bike you dont know if the previous owner did unnecessary adjustments or "performance" changes Get to know you bike & yall will be great friends
    http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=

Also consider trying to eliminate some variables, keep to only one octane level & a preferred station if you can. (to really track you tank mileage you have to only ride one way)
    Do you mean 11-20 more miles per tankful? I've used ethanol since purchasing my GS, and have consistently gotten 30 mpg, right from the beginning. Like someone said, at about 130 miles after a fill-up, start looking for a gas station.

Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU!!

WOW thanks for all the replies to my concern .

I'm really glad to hear that all is normal with my Spyder! That way I don't have to think there is anything wrong with my new toy.

I just did not think about milage or range when I bought it. It was so laid back test driving it compared to my last bikes (Suzuki GSXR600 x's 2).

I thought these Spyders are great I will be cruising all day (6 gallons of fuel). I never even really gave it any thought about I bought the Sport Spyder not a touring or sport touring style. You could say its the rocket in which I had (GSXR's are not easy on fuel either).

I will stop caring about milage/range now, and start having fun

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post

You two have completely different engines and gears so you cannot compare yours to his.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

& .

Glad you found this #1 site, we are here to help, ask questions. You'll learn a lot from this site about spyders, events etc. I have learned a lot, from this site too.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Do you mean 11-20 more miles per tankful? I've used ethanol since purchasing my GS, and have consistently gotten 30 mpg, right from the beginning. Like someone said, at about 130 miles after a fill-up, start looking for a gas station.
    Good for you but to answer your question not per tank but 11-20MPG as I stated. Per my results anyway & you wont see it on first tank but will see better results on the second tank and so on of ethanol free You can help with additives like star-tron or Berryman b-12 chemtool system cleaner to clean out the ethanol gunk already in system. The hard part is timing out you fill ups with known E-free stations i have 2 local ones. I learned more of the malfunctions it causes from friends that suffered marine damages after ethanol damaged their boat motorsJust something else to look out for but yes it does help.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    I went for 2 rides which have totaled 77 miles shifting higher (6000 RPM's) and trying not to let the RPM's fall below the 4300 RPM # in any gear. My fuel light came on @ 77 miles!!! MY BIG QUESTION IS... is this normal to only be able to ride these Spyder's 77 miles before you start looking for a gas station???

Well yes, when you ride it like you stole it !!

There really is no good reason to be rev'ing it that high all the time.......unless you enjoy the feeling, that is.

Then, calculate your actual fuel mileage MPG. Most reports I've seen range from the low 20's to the low 30's and how you treat the engine can make a BIG difference.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-23-2017 at 10:16 AM.