Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Half-Cover Question

My wife wants a half-cover for her RT. I did some searches here and the major players (OEM, Nelson Rigg, etc) seem to all get decent reviews. My question is, any comparisons as to how small one brand packs versus the others? Want to take up minimal space in the bag to store the cover when travelling.
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you that BRP's stuffs down into it's own little sack... About half the size of a pillow.
    Nelson Rigg makes a really nice alternative. Try checking out their website for info about it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Cover

I just got the BRP cover, It has its own built-in stuff sack. I thought it would be a pain in the butt to get back in there but it was really simple. It is fairly small when packed not much bigger than a football. About 23.5 in Circumference. Could be packed a little tighter.
    20170607_202338 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 06-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Folding my Nelson-Rigg on ther Spyder it comes in at 11"x12"X2". If I took the time to fold it very neatly on the floor of a hotel room it would probably come in a bit thinner and about 11"x11". For my shekels, amazon.com came in with the best price when I bought it two years ago.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default UltraGard Half Cover

This is what I have, can't beat the price and I store it in a net on the trunk lid so it doesn't take up any usable space!
    http://store.valueaccessories.net/Ul...HalfCover.aspx

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    This is what I have, can't beat the price and I store it in a net on the trunk lid so it doesn't take up any usable space!

I got this one too. Real nice. It's on Amazon for $42. Comes with it's own storage bag too.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have the OEM half cover and it goes with us everywhere. It has it's own storage bag attached and you just stuff the cover in the bag -so easy. I have netting in the saddle bag covers and it fits neatly (length and width is good) in the saddle bag cover recessed area. It does stick out an inch or two from the cover, but this area works perfect for us! We still can get our soft saddle bag in there without a problem - here's a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Just so you know, the 1/2 cover will not fit if you have a luggage rack - like Show Chrome - on top of the rear trunk/storage compartment. If you have the luggage rack, you will have to go to a full cover. This is the one I have, and it works well. It does take time to put it on securely, but to me, worth the effort, as it is really a full cover.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...&GroupGuid=668
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default RT half Cover

Just FYI!!! The ultraguard half cover will fit over the luggage rack if you have one, as well as the f4 tall wide wind screen!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider51 View Post
    Just FYI!!! The ultraguard half cover will fit over the luggage rack if you have one, as well as the f4 tall wide wind screen!!!
    That is correct, I have a luggage rack and used to have an F4 tall/wide, it fits perfectly!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is the one that I have as well. I used it on my 2014 RT as a half cover, on my 2012 RSS as a 3/4 cover, and will now be using it on my F3T, to cover whatever portion that it will cover. I only use it 2-3 times a year for when we go on trips. That equates to about 10-12 nights, just to keep the dew off the seats and windshield.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have the Big Bike Parts 1/2 cover and it works fine for me. All of these come with a bag and don't take up much space.

If space is a serious consideration, buy a small compression sack at an outdoors and camping store - these bags have straps that are used to squeeze their contents and could compress the cover to about the size of a grapefruit or orange. I use one for my rain gear and it squeezes down to about the size of a small cantaloupe (sorry for all the fruit references).

Compression sack.jpg
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Half cover

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Just so you know, the 1/2 cover will not fit if you have a luggage rack - like Show Chrome - on top of the rear trunk/storage compartment. If you have the luggage rack, you will have to go to a full cover. This is the one I have, and it works well. It does take time to put it on securely, but to me, worth the effort, as it is really a full cover.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...&GroupGuid=668
    I have the nelson rigg half cover and a show chrome luggage rack and it fits just fine.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Nelson Rigg

I have a Nelson Rigg half cover and it compacts very small and has it's own stuff sack.A very good product.

Odogg 1963

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Show chrome 1/2 cover, F4 wide windshield, and Rivco luggage rack. I have no problems fitting the cover over the byke.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I got the dealer to throw the 1/2 cover in when I got my RTL and I like how small it folds up.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the great feedback - and suggestion on the netting for inside the lid and side covers. Great suggestion!
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Got the Ultraguard half cover delivered yesterday. Sold as being for the Goldwing but it's a very good fit and a third of the price of the OEM one in UK.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have 3 covers and like this one the best. Used in Valcourt for the homecoming. If you have lidlocks on the handlebars, there is enough room to cover your helmets and keep them locked and dry. It is so easy to get on and off. We find with the F4 tall and wide windshield it is better to lower it first.

2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Half cover

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    My wife wants a half-cover for her RT. I did some searches here and the major players (OEM, Nelson Rigg, etc) seem to all get decent reviews. My question is, any comparisons as to how small one brand packs versus the others? Want to take up minimal space in the bag to store the cover when travelling.

I have the nelson rigg and it stuffs in its own bag and fits nicely in the saddle bag netting area.
    2015 Special Edition , Red and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    I got this one too. Real nice. It's on Amazon for $42. Comes with it's own storage bag too.
    Same one too, no regrets so far with purchase. Easy to stuff away

Spyder Garage

Cool Netting in the Saddlebag

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I have the OEM half cover and it goes with us everywhere. It has it's own storage bag attached and you just stuff the cover in the bag -so easy. I have netting in the saddle bag covers and it fits neatly (length and width is good) in the saddle bag cover recessed area. It does stick out an inch or two from the cover, but this area works perfect for us! We still can get our soft saddle bag in there without a problem - here's a pic:
    Where do you get the netting for the saddlebag? And how is it mounted?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by janeellen41 View Post
    Where do you get the netting for the saddlebag? And how is it mounted?
    Lamonsters Garage has them. To mount them you just take out some screws and reinstall them with some little clips. then the nets attach to the clips. Very easy.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up It fits

[QUOTE=oldguyinCT;1266692]Just so you know, the 1/2 cover will not fit if you have a luggage rack - like Show Chrome - on top of the rear trunk/storage compartment. If you have the luggage rack, you will have to go to a full cover. This is the one I have, and it works well. It does take time to put it on securely, but to me, worth the effort, as it is really a full cover.

I have a Nelson Rigg half cover and it fits just fine. holes for dual antenna and elastic straps to keep in place.

Kaos

BTW: Lowering the shield might be the reason it fits.
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-16-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I used the Nelson Rigg half cover on my trip to Valcourt. It rained the provberbial 40 days and 40 nights. OKOK, a lot anyway. MY half cover was always soaking wet after a rain. It is 2 years old so maybe that was the issue, the 'use by date' had expired. Can't recommend that product. Others may have fared better. Bought a new Ultra guard cover.