Thread: Radio reception

Spyder Garage

Default Radio reception

Hello all. Does anybody else get crappy radio reception. I have a new 2016 RT-S Special Series, and I can only get like 4 fm stations. I can't even get our local station. Any suggestions? Since I am a new owner (2 weeks), I may have a lot of questions in the coming weeks. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Default Radio reception

You are not alone!! Evidently there are a lot of us with the same complaint.
    I have a 2017 F3 Limited with the same crappy reception. Spoke with my dealer
    and there are several things that can cause the problem, but it is covered
    by the warranty. Of course it is no telling how long it will take to chase down
    grounds, shorts, loose wires, loose connections, a bad antenna or even a faulty radio.
    Hang in there.

Dray

Spyder Garage

I guess I will talk to my dealer Monday. Thanks for the response
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid
    LED headlights and fog lights

Spyder Garage

I've been doing some digging here and it seems that it may be an issue with too much thread lock on the antenna. I'll try to remove the antenna and clean it off to see if that fixes the problem.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    You are not alone!! Evidently there are a lot of us with the same complaint.
    I have a 2017 F3 Limited with the same crappy reception. Spoke with my dealer
    and there are several things that can cause the problem, but it is covered
    by the warranty. Of course it is no telling how long it will take to chase down
    grounds, shorts, loose wires, loose connections, a bad antenna or even a faulty radio.
    Hang in there.

Dray
    Have you added LED lights to the bike?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Time to learn

Take the speaker assembly off by removing two t-30 bolts in the trunk and lifting it off. Look to see if the flat, braided ground wire is touching the brass block that the antenna is screwed into or the center of the coax that is connected to the brass block. If the ground wire touches the center conductor it will drain off the signal on the center conductor resulting in very poor reception on all but the strongest stations. Your dealer can check this for you if you don't feel comfortable trying it. The reason that I know about this problem is that my dealer put the ground and the center conductor on the same terminal and it only got strong FM signals and no AM signals. No joking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Take the speaker assembly off by removing two t-30 bolts in the trunk and lifting it off. Look to see if the flat, braided ground wire is touching the brass block that the antenna is screwed into or the center of the coax that is connected to the brass block. If the ground wire touches the center conductor it will drain off the signal on the center conductor resulting in very poor reception on all but the strongest stations. Your dealer can check this for you if you don't feel comfortable trying it. The reason that I know about this problem is that my dealer put the ground and the center conductor on the same terminal and it only got strong FM signals and no AM signals. No joking.
    I all definitely check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid