Spyder Garage

Default Hard to rider smoothly while in slow moving traffic?

I have just taken delivery of my very first Spyder. It's a F3 S and obviously I'm very thrilled with it, and I must admit, a bit scared of it which I suppose is expected till I get really used to it.

One thing I do have difficulty with is riding smoothly went going slow or very slow in heavy traffic. Being in first gear in these conditions the throttle seems very sensitive and I get a bit of a jerk between over-run and (slight) acceleration. I suppose this is to be expected to a degree but I wondered if other, more experienced riders, find the same thing and if they have any hints or tips to minimise this effect.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F3Spyderman View Post
    I have just taken delivery of my very first Spyder. It's a F3 S and obviously I'm very thrilled with it, and I must admit, a bit scared of it which I suppose is expected till I get really used to it.

One thing I do have difficulty with is riding smoothly went going slow or very slow in heavy traffic. Being in first gear in these conditions the throttle seems very sensitive and I get a bit of a jerk between over-run and (slight) acceleration. I suppose this is to be expected to a degree but I wondered if other, more experienced riders, find the same thing and if they have any hints or tips to minimise this effect.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    My Spyder jerks a bit till its warmed up. Put your ryde on "eco" to dumb down the throttle till you get the feeling of it. Then go for long rides and have fun. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The throttle does feel sensitive in 1st gear. As with any Spyder ryding, make sure you're keeping a light hand on the grips.

Another idea is to ride on the right side of the road!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhhh....

One more reason I love the manual...in slow or stop and go I need only work the clutch. The high rpms are enough to keep up with smooth transision...No help but you may always have this with the se models as the clutch does need some rpms to engage and if the movement is very slow the transision does not get completed. Helpful hints above and more miles should help....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Log some "Saddle-Time", and everything will be just fine...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

and

500 miles or so learning curve. Read the Do's and Don'ts

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Many thanks for all your replies Guys.

Road Kill, yes will try ECO mode and see if that helps.

Prairiespyder, if I ride on the right side of the road over here it would be a bit more than 'jerky' probably get myself killed, hope that's not what you meant

Chupaca, yes have read Helpful hints and learned a lot, thanks.

Bob Denman and Akspyderman, thanks for your encouragement, looking forward to clocking up some real miles.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A really light touch on the bars; sure helps a lot...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Definately switch to Eco Mode. It does delay an Excited 1330 and those ponies. I have to do Eco mode when I ride with my group or I'll run over them accidentally.😜😳
    '15 F3S SE6 Pearly White (Hers)
    '16 F3S SE6 Special Series Triple Black (His)

Spyder Garage

The absence of a clutch in any motorcycle to regulate torque is going to give you a jerky first gear. I ridden several auto bikes and they all suffer the same issue with slow maneuvering on first gear while going less than 10mph. The VFR1200 was specially tricky because it was heavy with lots of power couple with a V4 engine.

A 3 banger is much smoother but you still have to try to match your rmps with the help of no clutch so it is a matter of learning smooth throttle twist. You'll eventually find the sweet spot but stop and go traffic will remain jerky.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new ryde! Eco mode until you get used to it!

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all for your helpful comments and your welcome to the Spyder community, I feel at home here already.