Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,020

    Default Engine Interference

    2016 F3 Limited.

    Great radio reception with engine NOT running.

    Start engine, radio reception goes to hell...solid static.

    Replaced OEM antenna with stubby antenna from Lamonster Garage...no change.

    Suggestions as to what to check for potential fix?

    Thanks.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest


    Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded


  2. #2
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    57

    Default

    If you are still under warranty, the DEALER should be fixing this, even if they have to enlist the factory for help.
    This assumes, of course, that it is the OEM radio.

    This is often caused by bad grounds......antenna shield, radio chassis or even elsewhere on the bike.
    Could even be a bad power filter inside the radio or nearby depending on the design.

    Whether the noise is "clicking" or a whine can be a good clue.

    YOU should NOT bear the burden of getting this fixed.

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    2016 F3 Limited.

    Great radio reception with engine NOT running.

    Start engine, radio reception goes to hell...solid static.

    Replaced OEM antenna with stubby antenna from Lamonster Garage...no change.

    Suggestions as to what to check for potential fix?

    Thanks.
    SpyRyd,

    I went through the very same thing with my BMW R1200RT. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

    YMMV, but in my case, it was a set of cheap Chinese ballasts that were running my HID headlights. If you have any ballasts running any lights, I'd take a look at them.

    Also, I've heard people have the same issue with LEDs. Especially Clearwater brand. The rheostat causes a tremendous amount of RFI.

    Changed out the ballasts to ones that were "shielded" and the static went away. Took me over six months, and NUMEROUS entries on forums to come that
    solution.

    Just a data point to consider.

  4. #4
    Active Member fencepost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Posts
    435

    Default

    This seems to be a hit or miss issue with the OEM radio on the RT and F3T/Limited. Antenna change helps on some and not on others. I put a short stubby 5" antenna on my F3T and the radio works better than stock antenna or the short antenna that some are using. The fix seems to be different depending which way the wind is blowing. Good luck.
    SpYderman

  5. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,020

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If you are still under warranty, the DEALER should be fixing this, even if they have to enlist the factory for help.
    This assumes, of course, that it is the OEM radio.

    This is often caused by bad grounds......antenna shield, radio chassis or even elsewhere on the bike.
    Could even be a bad power filter inside the radio or nearby depending on the design.

    Whether the noise is "clicking" or a whine can be a good clue.

    YOU should NOT bear the burden of getting this fixed.
    Yep still under warranty. Been working with BRP Cares and dealer on a fix. Latest BRP recommended fix is to install an amplified antenna. That should happen next week...hope it fixes problem.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest


    Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded


  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,020

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasMule View Post
    SpyRyd,

    I went through the very same thing with my BMW R1200RT. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

    YMMV, but in my case, it was a set of cheap Chinese ballasts that were running my HID headlights. If you have any ballasts running any lights, I'd take a look at them.

    Also, I've heard people have the same issue with LEDs. Especially Clearwater brand. The rheostat causes a tremendous amount of RFI.

    Changed out the ballasts to ones that were "shielded" and the static went away. Took me over six months, and NUMEROUS entries on forums to come that
    solution.

    Just a data point to consider.
    No ballasts and installed LEDs are from TricLED or Custom Dynamics. All LEDs come on with key on and engine not running. Thanks for the info.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest


    Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded


  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Yep still under warranty. Been working with BRP Cares and dealer on a fix. Latest BRP recommended fix is to install an amplified antenna. That should happen next week...hope it fixes problem.
    x
    Good luck with that.
    In my experience, that will just amplify the noise too.

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    No ballasts and installed LEDs are from TricLED or Custom Dynamics. All LEDs come on with key on and engine not running. Thanks for the info.
    x
    I know that tends to indicate that the added lights are not the problem BUT......this computer controlled CAN buss can be VERY tricky.
    If it is relatively easy to disconnect ALL of your added electrical gear, I suggest that you do that once just to be sure.

    Others have been amazed that added LEDs can cause things to happen that should not happen.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,020

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    x
    Good luck with that.
    In my experience, that will just amplify the noise too.
    Thinking you may be right, but gotta go through with BRPs "fix" before moving on to the next step, whatever that might be.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest


    Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded


  10. #10
    Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Broadstone,Poole, Dorset, UK
    Posts
    920

    Default

    On my 2015 RT 2015 SE6 model I had several LED's fitted by the dealer this included fender indicator LED's Rear fender running/brake lights, the High mounting Brake light and the rear saddlebags running/brake lights
    All these were from established Spyder Led suppliers
    When I used the brake the Radio would cut out and only static could be heard
    (foot off brake radio returned to normal)
    The dealer tried to shield the antenna but the problem continued after disconnecting each of the LED's and testing the problem was resolved by only having the saddlebags Led's as running lights removing the braking function of the LED's, it was that breaking function that somehow caused the interference

    Simce then my Radio has been fine

    Not sure if it will help but it may be worth considering having the dealer investigate it
    Let us know what resolves your problem as we all benefit from the knowledge of others
    Eddie Sheppard
    Reading uk

    Get a Spyder - See the World



  11. #11
    Very Active Member Tango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Yep still under warranty. Been working with BRP Cares and dealer on a fix. Latest BRP recommended fix is to install an amplified antenna. That should happen next week...hope it fixes problem.
    Please post update on the "amplified antenna". Who is supplying it? BRP told my dealer to tell me to find one. Haven't been able to. Tom
    "I am the guardian of lost souls! I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Mushu!"

    2016 F3Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Lamonster LED headlight and fog lights, Custom Dynamics LED fender and saddle bag lights, Can Am hitch, Can Am rider and passenger backrests, Baja Ron sway bar and Lamonster dog bones.

  12. #12
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,020

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Please post update on the "amplified antenna". Who is supplying it? BRP told my dealer to tell me to find one. Haven't been able to. Tom
    BRP covering cost and installation of amplified antenna. I informed dealer that I wanted them to source the antenna in case it didn't solve the problem. Understand the antenna the dealer is to install on Wednesday, 26 Apr, will be totally hidden under the Tupperware somewhere. My current stubby antenna will be left in place but will be a "dummy".
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest


    Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded


  13. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,020

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    On my 2015 RT 2015 SE6 model I had several LED's fitted by the dealer this included fender indicator LED's Rear fender running/brake lights, the High mounting Brake light and the rear saddlebags running/brake lights
    All these were from established Spyder Led suppliers
    When I used the brake the Radio would cut out and only static could be heard
    (foot off brake radio returned to normal)
    The dealer tried to shield the antenna but the problem continued after disconnecting each of the LED's and testing the problem was resolved by only having the saddlebags Led's as running lights removing the braking function of the LED's, it was that breaking function that somehow caused the interference

    Simce then my Radio has been fine

    Not sure if it will help but it may be worth considering having the dealer investigate it
    Let us know what resolves your problem as we all benefit from the knowledge of others
    Thanks for the info, Eddie. The dealer hard wired a Backoff brake light modulator when they assembled my bike and I thought perhaps that might be the culprit. However, with the key on and engine off the radio reception is unaffected when the brake peddle is pushed.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest


    Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded


  14. #14
    Active Member z_light11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I am also interested in this topic. I have a 2015 F3-S, so a factory radio wasn't an option. I purchased a Sena 20s for my listening pleasure. I am experiencing the same thing you are. The radio comes in crystal clear as long as the engine is off. As soon as I fire the engine up, all static... It's very frustrating.
    2015 Spyder F3-S


  15. #15
    Very Active Member Tango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    BRP covering cost and installation of amplified antenna. I informed dealer that I wanted them to source the antenna in case it didn't solve the problem. Understand the antenna the dealer is to install on Wednesday, 26 Apr, will be totally hidden under the Tupperware somewhere. My current stubby antenna will be left in place but will be a "dummy".

    Please post what they install so us others can get one also. Tom
    "I am the guardian of lost souls! I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Mushu!"

    2016 F3Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Lamonster LED headlight and fog lights, Custom Dynamics LED fender and saddle bag lights, Can Am hitch, Can Am rider and passenger backrests, Baja Ron sway bar and Lamonster dog bones.

  16. #16
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    80,725

    Default

    I've never been able to pull a decent FM signal with my RT-L...
    I've had the Technician check all of the connections, remove all of the Loc-Tite, and I've even tried one of Spyderpop's Shortee abtennas...
    Nothing has made a difference.
    We're at the point where the dealer will replace my radio!

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Gone; not forgotten!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •