Thread: GS 2008 Brakes

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default GS 2008 Brakes

Since I've owned this 2008 GS SE5 (bought new) the brakes squeal when bike in reverse. Asked several shops over the years and their usual answer is "we don't know why, but it seems to be typical".

Any better guidance out there?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    Since I've owned this 2008 GS SE5 (bought new) the brakes squeal when bike in reverse. Asked several shops over the years and their usual answer is "we don't know why, but it seems to be typical".

I put springs on mine and also found the bolts that holds the pads on had a notch in them. For some reason they will make a notch and to me makes the pads run against the rotor. Mine are better, but does it ever now and then. I wished they would sell the replacement bolts by them selves. Have to buy the shoes to get them.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

There are several reasons for that... the knotched hanger bolts...but the most common is brake dust accumulation. Simple green used to clean the pads and disc can help that...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

That's also my story. A typical issue with my 08 GS. Most noticeable when going in reverse. After a rainstorm, even a bit worse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Annoying !

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post

I had a 2008 GS and it squealed in reverse, changed the pads, polished the rotor,changed the bolts, used a no squeal product on the rear of the pads, chamfered the pads, still squealed. Reached the conclusion that is why the twin is so noisy, to hide the squeal. Look at it as a back up alarm and just ride forward! Enjoy the ride, you don't go far in reverse anyhow!

Spyder Garage

My 08 GS did that until last fall. My dealer replaced the rear pads and it hasn't squeaked since. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I'm enjoying it while it does. Lol

Spyder Garage

"". Look at it as a back up alarm and just ride forward! ""