Thread: Temp gauge

Spyder Garage

Default Temp gauge

Hey can anyone tell me how to test a temp gauge on a 2012 RTL. It seems to be working some, when I start the bike the needle will come up to the bottom of the cold mark and not much further. When I shut it off it falls to the bottom of the gauge. Is there a way to test the gauge or is it a lost cause? Thank you for your time! Mike
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

Don't know the year but if you don't have a shop manual with the specs one way to test would be to disconnect the fuel and temp gauges and let the digital ones appear on the dash. Then start the engine and let it run and see if the bars go up as the egine warms up. If it does then the sending unit is working and the gauge is faulty if not then the sending unit is faulty. Many just replace the analog gauges with charging ports or battery condition gauges and let the digital ones do the work of keeping you informed as they do a better job. You do have to disconnect both....9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You can disable the analog temperature and fuel gauge easily and the read outs will be in a stacked bar on the main part of the display. You remove 4 torx screws that hold the dash in place then unplug the gauges. You must unplug both the fuel and temp for this to work. The digital gauges are much more accurate and you will immediately know if your problem is a bad analog gauge or a bad sensor.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks to both of you guy's for getting right back to me!!! I was just doing a search on here and came across that thread on unhooking the gauges and think that's the way I'll go, makes since to me!! Thanks again Mike
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll notice the digital readouts for the fuel and temp gauges will be reversed once you disconnect the the analog gauges. Dale

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Mikey. What did the temp gauge read when the fan came on while not moving? Slightly above the 3 o'clock position would be normal. Cool days in Maine? The 998 engine does run low in the temperature band when it’s cool out.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

When the gauge was working it was about at three as you say! I unhooked the gauges last night and it was a bad tempt gauge, the digit gauge is working fine. I plane on taking them out and putting blanks in there place. Thank you one and all for your help, your
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You can get very simple inexpensive blanks from your local ACE hardware or electrical supply, I used the same plastic plug blanks that are used in some electrical panels, been in my dash for thousands of miles.
    20180624_142251.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020