Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8

Default Cruise Control won't set

I have a new 2016 RT-S. Cruise shows "ON". Press the cruise button down to "set", and about 1 out of 10 times it will set. Took back to dealer, they say nothing wrong. Brought it back. Set the first time out. Went through a round a bout. Tried to reset, wouldn't set. Turned cruise off and back on, still wouldn't set.

First place I would check would be the brake light switch. If switch is on cruise won't work. Is your foot making any contact with he brake pedal? It doesn't take much to activate that switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    First place I would check would be the brake light switch. If switch is on cruise won't work. Is your foot making any contact with he brake pedal? It doesn't take much to activate that switch.
    I would agree with that. If the brake light is on the cruise will not set.

2013 ST LIMITED BLACK CURRANT
    Lugg & Roll trailer
    Show Chrome Hitch.
    Gorilla Alarm
    Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, with homemade harness
    USB power outlet.
    3 button garage door opener.

I would have thought the dealer would have checked that

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I used to have the same trouble with my 2014 RT. Mine did that for the first 300 miles or so, and then it worked fine.
    Skip ahead to the first 3k mile service. After putting it on the computer, it stopped working again. After 300 miles, it was fine. After that, it never gave any more trouble. Dealer or myself never found the problem.

SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar

You said you went through a round about, what was your speed when you tried to resume the cruise? If you were going too slow it may not engage.

2014 RTS-SM6 Vegas White Tri Axis handlebars, comfort seat, backrest, Custom Dyn. HMT brake, bright sides and strobe, TricLed side & rear fender lights, American Flag light, TricLED Headlights & Fogs, BajaRon SwayBar & Shock Adj., Laser Aligned by Squared Away
    2014 RTL-SE6 on test drive 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 loaner put 5,000 miles on it
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 retired at 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You said you went through a round about, what was your speed when you tried to resume the cruise? If you were going too slow it may not engage.
    It is for crushing not a round about it also will not engage if your in a bad gear for that speed like trying 60mph in 2nd it will in engage if in 3rd but not 2nd

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    BRP trailer hitch & 622 trailer (with its own list: Spyderpops Lighted Rear Bumpskid, LineX protection on sides, led trim lighting amber front& red rear, stand& tongue handle)THX Cruzr Joe!
    SmoothSpyder dualmode back rest
    Tricled foam grip covers, FenderZ &brake light strips,
    Rivco SOMA (Stay Off My A**) brake leds
    Wireless brake LED's on saddlebags
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Pakitrack
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    (pics in album)

Very Active Member

As others have mentioned, that brake thing is the first thing to check - like the dealer says, your cruise control might be fine in all respects, but if your foot is touching the pedal &/or the brake light is still on, then the chances are that is the cause of cruise not engaging!! The next thing to check is your engine revs - regardless of what speed you are doing, if the engine revs are below what the ECU believes is necessary to keep the engine safe & not lugging in that gear, or if the clutch hasn't yet 'locked-up' fully on an SE, your cruise just won't set!

So maybe you just need to keep your revs up a tad higher & try again?!? For the V-twins, the revs need to be above about 3500-3800 rpm; for the 1300 triples, you probably only need about 3000-3200 rpm or so!!

My 2014 was also plagued by a non-functioning cruise control. We went through all of the potential stuff with the brakes: nothing!
    It turned out that the RH switch housing (and all of the stuff in it...) needed replacing.
    Problem solved!

2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Gone; not forgotten!)

Default Cruise Control Sett

On my 2012 RT I push UP to set it. When first setting it, I have to hold it for several seconds before it engages.

Default Setting Cruise Control

On my 2012 RT, I have to push UP to set. I have to hold it for several seconds when first setting. After that it just takes a quick push UP.

Sorry for the double post. The first one took a long time to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    On my 2012 RT, I have to push UP to set. I have to hold it for several seconds when first setting. After that it just takes a quick push UP.

SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I think your wires were crossed when your Spyder was assembled as on all the other Spyders you push down to set and up to resume. I did hear of another that was set up backwards like yours

2014 RTS-SM6 Vegas White Tri Axis handlebars, comfort seat, backrest, Custom Dyn. HMT brake, bright sides and strobe, TricLed side & rear fender lights, American Flag light, TricLED Headlights & Fogs, BajaRon SwayBar & Shock Adj., Laser Aligned by Squared Away
    2014 RTL-SE6 on test drive 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 loaner put 5,000 miles on it
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 retired at 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

I think your wires were crossed when your Spyder was assembled as on all the other Spyders you push down to set and up to resume. I did hear of another that was set up backwards like yours
    x 2. If its not the brake switch, I think you are on to something here.

Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 9 years, 133,000 miles, 5 Spyder miles per post.

if you have a sm transmission pulling the clutch in will disengage cruise control as well

Very Active Member

My friends 2013 cruise did not work sometime shortly after purchase. The dealer fix under warranty. Had to replace something on the Cruise control unit.

I looked at the service manual wiring diagram & it shows that the wires for the cruise switch go to the left handle bar module. I guess from there it talks through the can bus.
    AKA Jud Smales, new Spyder Ryder!

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son

In most automotive applications, "resume" will also function as "set" if you hold it down long enough.

I've noticed what I think is merely a quirk in the system.

If I've got the cruise control engaged (say, at 50 mph), then I accelerate up to 65, if I try to re-set to the new, higher speed, it won't take; if I let go of the throttle, the bike drops down to the previous setting. I figure the system can handle only one setting at a time. So, my work-around is to quickly (and gently!) tap the brake pedal to drop out of cruise, then re-engage the switch to set the new speed. Clumsy, but it seems to work for me.

Maybe something similar is happening to you.

Very Active Member

The cruise won't set if you are accelerating, or pulling hard up a hill. It also won't set if you are going downhill and back off the throttle all the way.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis handlebars, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, Lamont's NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, trailer wiring module and harness, high mount brake light and turn signals, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.