Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Will gravel road harm the tires?

Good evening all. New user here.

I have a question. Will the tires suffer damage from being driven, very slowly, on a gravel driveway? Before you answer, the gravel driveway is 1.3 miles one way (Texas is a big place...)

Opinions?

Much obliged,

Joe

Spyder Garage

No. Check Spyderpops web site and order a missing belt guard. It protects the belt from gravel being kicked up into the belt from the right side. Simple installation.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I live on a gravel road and Ive had no problem with my Spyder RT

Ride safe!
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

Smile

Marvin,

I think you meant, you have not experienced this problem yet. When the rock-in-the-rear-drive happens, its expensive to fix. After paying to fix it, you will also then buy the protective cover JayBros references in his post because you do not want it to happen again..

Or, you can just get the protective cover now, and be $$'s ahead not having to replace the rear drive (and possibly the belt).

13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard - Check.

I should have mentioned, I have a 2015 F3S (bought new, it was a leftover). The site looks like there are guards for 2008-2014 "all models" and one for 2016 and up. Which one should I choose?

Thanks for the replies!

Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeA View Post
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard - Check.

I should have mentioned, I have a 2015 F3S (bought new, it was a leftover). The site looks like there are guards for 2008-2014 "all models" and one for 2016 and up. Which one should I choose?

Thanks for the replies!

Joe

What model F3 do you have

Spyder Garage

Certainly gravel can damage the belt. But I don't really worry about it. Out of the 23,500 members on this board maybe 4 or 5 a year will post that have had a problem. I likely put a 100 miles a year or more on gravel. I don't try and dry slow. Never had a problem. That said if you think that an extra belt guard would be a good idea. Spyderpops is a great vendor. Now what to avoid at all cost is fresh tar and chip coating. Small stones with glue on them is deadly for the belt.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Depends!

I have a question. Will the tires suffer damage from being driven, very slowly, on a gravel driveway? Before you answer, the gravel driveway is 1.3 miles one way (Texas is a big place...)

Opinions?

Much obliged,

Joe
    I regularly ride on gravel roads here in Oregon, county and National Forest and have not had a problem yet! Last weekend did over 100 miles on gravel, I keep the rear wheel in the track and avoid spinning the tire. I often shift as far to the rear as possible to place more weight on the rear tire. Certainly sharp gravel will wear the tires faster than a smooth road surface. As others have said avoid fresh sticky tar (chip seal) as the stones may stick to the belt. Pea gravel is more prone to being picked up by the rear tire, but large gravel not so likely. Kind of like being hit by lightning, might go your whole life without being struck. If it happens with the gravel on the belt then it will be expensive. I had a belt guard on my 2008 GS and wiped it out with a stick that didn't go through the belt and sprocket. Life's a gamble!

Spyder Garage

Opinions?

Much obliged,

Joe
    The damage to the tires on the Spyder will be no different to the damage to the tires on the car/truck you drive on the same driveway. Tires are damaged by use, it is commonly called wear!