New Orleans Westbank - Belle Chasse, La 70037
    Spyder Garage

Default Saddle bags vs Trailer

Since I just got this bike three weeks ago my next project is to purchase some saddlebags or a trailer hitch and trailer. I've look at cost for both and depending on the type of bags with support they are just about equal to a hitch ($190) and a trailer (Harbor Freight $225) = $415 (+/-). Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RTS

We tried I initially to use onboard storage and wasn't too long before a trailer was purchased. Use the BRP hitch and harness with a brand x trailer. So far so good,most times don't even know it's there
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    Since I just got this bike three weeks ago my next project is to purchase some saddlebags or a trailer hitch and trailer. I've look at cost for both and depending on the type of bags with support they are just about equal to a hitch ($190) and a trailer (Harbor Freight $225) = $415 (+/-). Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
    I am going from a rt to a f3t, so i know i will miss the storage. i plan on mounting a trailer hitch and using my doc Humphries rack when necessary. If alone i will probably just strap a bag to the back seat when needed. I might purchase a trailer if i can convince the wife to do longer trips. Since she only did 3 in 3 years on the rt, my hopes for that on the new bike are not too great.
    But, i am cool with that
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default 2-up is a must for long trips

...and that's why I need a trailer. Just about any long trip will include the misses and she (as most women do) will take half her wardrobe plus two helmets. One of each color. I don't mind cause she usually enjoys the ride with no complaints.

Spyder Garage

The answer will depend on how much long distance driving you are planning on doing, and, how much stuff you plan to bring along.

We went to Whitehorse YT back in 2010. We were gone for about a week. Used the onboard storage in one RT and one RS. Had one extra person along. We did just fine. But, I tend to travel light.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you're going to be riding 2-up you'll probably like the trailer better but if you're be riding solo you should be fine with the saddlebags. The saddlebags will be good for when you're running errands around home

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    ...and that's why I need a trailer. Just about any long trip will include the misses and she (as most women do) will take half her wardrobe plus two helmets. One of each color. I don't mind cause she usually enjoys the ride with no complaints.
    The answer is - a second spyder !

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Spyder - I like that

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer vs Saddlebags

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am going from a rt to a f3t, so i know i will miss the storage. i plan on mounting a trailer hitch and using my doc Humphries rack when necessary. If alone i will probably just strap a bag to the back seat when needed. I might purchase a trailer if i can convince the wife to do longer trips. Since she only did 3 in 3 years on the rt, my hopes for that on the new bike are not too great.
    But, i am cool with that
    Whi

We traded off a 2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5. And in so doing, acquired four storage compartments vs the three we had with the Harley. My wife thinks we still need a trailer. I made mention of this to a friend and regular contributor to a motorcycle touring magazine. He replied, wouldn't you really have a Buick? I looked at the Harbor Freight cargo trailer, but wasn't impressed with it. Other trailers like the Bushtec and the BRP-622 are more expensive, but the quality and reliability are often worth the expenditure.
    Just my 3 cents (due to inflation), worth.