Hybrid View

New Orleans Westbank - Belle Chasse, La 70037
    Spyder Garage

Default Replace rear suspension with 2-up suspension

I have a 2015 F3S and am thinking about replacing the stock rear suspension with an OEM 2-UP suspension. How difficult is this ? anything special I need to know? I've read a lot of doom and gloom info about BRP's stock rear suspensions and since my wife and I weigh well over the 248lb rated capacity I thought it would be best to replace it before we bust our rear ends or break something else expensive.

Spyder Garage

Really straightforward job, 2 bolts - one at each end of the shock.

Jack up rear until tyre just on the ground and then undo the bolts. I took off the plastic undertray to get to the top bolt, some have done it though holes under the drivers seat but I couldn't get any tools through the gap. May need to adjust jack height to get bottom bolt in new one. Other than that really simple to do.

New shock comes with new bolts and nylock nuts.

Money well spent in my opinion, you only need to look at the beefier spring to know it will be an improvement.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the quick advise

... and from what I've read on here I'm saving lots of $$$.
    Since I just got this bike three weeks ago my next project is to purchase some saddlebags or a trailer hitch and trailer. I'm gonna start a post on this topic and see what I can learn.

Spyder Garage

You can get the 2-up shock pretty cheap online.. like $160. While not as good as an Elka or other, those are damn expensive!
    For sure do this... it's an easy swap and you'll ride much better.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I am keenly interested in what everyone has replaced their rear shock with? Name and model number, weighted capacity, and PRICE , etc. Are they an air shock? I weigh 220 and the wife is 110 = 330lbs. plus some clothes and back packs so total would be 350 LBS. I find she drives and i sit on the back, the shock is quite dead. When only one driver up, the shock performs very well. I am interested in a good performer , easy on the pocket book shock, not the $1200-1800 ones I have seen with all the bells and whistles. Please, send me information and how well it rides along with the combined weight of the riders.. Photos would be nice. Its an FS3 - 2015 model.
    Last edited by BlueRidge; 04-21-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    Ride it like you stole it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I am keenly interested in what everyone has replaced their rear shock with? Name and model number, weighted capacity, and PRICE , etc. Are they an air shock?
    This thread has all the details you need:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Shock-options

Not an air shock and your two up weight may be beyond even the BRP '2 Up' shock. I ride solo and weigh under 200 lbs so will leave it to others to comment.

If you go for the BRP '2 up' try getting your dealer to price match the internet - worked for me no questions asked with a printout of an online site.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    ... and from what I've read on here I'm saving lots of $$$.
    Since I just got this bike three weeks ago my next project is to purchase some saddlebags or a trailer hitch and trailer. I'm gonna start a post on this topic and see what I can learn.
    For bags I'm naturally going to steer you in the direction of the SHAD ones as they are what I have. I posted some pics here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...90#post1184990

Spyder Garage

Default Nice bags - but over my budget.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    Yeah they are expensive over there, cheaper here as made in Spain so less shipping. Makes a change as normally everything for the spyder is more expensive over here once it's shipped from Canada.

Good quality though unlike the BRP ones which are joke at more than double the price!!

This was the other option I was considering before the SHADs came along:

https://www.vikingbags.com/lamellar-...saddlebags.htm

Not removeable (well wihout unbolting them) unless you spend an extra $137 on the quick release brackets. There are some threads on here showing thme fitted to F3s, search for 'viking bags'.