Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Angry BRP 's late Friday response to the clutch problem

After having been contacted on Wednesday.

BRP finally responded late Friday.

Their response.

Have the customer bring it in so the problem can be verified through a test ride.

In other words.

Until someone says, yup it's broke.

They have nothing to offer?

Now I understand how a bike can spend weeks at a dealer.

NOTE: If you don't like hearing the TRUTH.

Stop reading my posts.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Jerbear, my RT SE5 is in the shop for other reasons, but when the tech - whos is Master Certified by BRP & also the owner of the dealership - took it out for a test ride, he said the bike shuddered like crazy when moving from a dead stop. He suspected the clutch. I always warm the bike up, as he did, and have not experienced this to the extent that he described. It did shudder some until I put on a SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, which mostly solved the problem. Anyway, evidently the clutch has shims in it as well as springs. He found that the shims were incorrect. He put in the correct ones, and Presto! Shudder gone. Now this had to have been this way from either from the factory, or from work done by a previous dealer to replace a water pump impeller. Evidently, the clutch has to be pulled (stupid) to get to the water pump. So, as I said before, it has either been like this from day one, or the other dealer screwed up and put in incorrect shims. You might mention this to your dealer and have them make sure that the right shims are in there. I'm lucky in that my dealer only sells and services BRP products, and he knows these machines inside out.

By the way, I have a similar situation as you in that my Spyder is in the shop more than it is out of the shop, so believe me, I feel your frustration. I don't even keep track of how much money I have poured into this bike, because it would be too depressing to know exactly how much. Our bike has been a huge disappointment to us, to the point that my wife refuses to embark on a long trip for fear of a breakdown and being stranded. This has already happened to us when we were (only) 80 miles from home, and she was NOT happy. Thank goodness my insurance covered the full cost of the tow. I would love to dump it, but I just couldn't sell it to someone with a clear conscience.

I hope we can both get all of our problems worked out a at least gain a bit of confidence in our machines. Good luck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Unhappy What next and when? Has been my ownership experience too.

"I would love to dump it, but I just couldn't sell it to someone with a clear conscience."

You sir, have more class than many here who couldn't care less about anyone, other than themselves.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy At the dealer first AM

The findings are.

1. The clutch problem was not because of anything the tech did. Should he have known there was a problem from his test ride? Absolutely. No question. But he didn't pick up on it. Lesson learned.

2. Did BRP play a major roll in the cause of the problem. Totally and without doubt.

3. The Spyder didn't get to come home tonight. In fact, I got to thinking about it today and in the last year and a half the spyder has had more mileage put on it going back and forth to the dealer for issues, than it has logged for recreation. Pathetic!

4. Because I'm sick and tired of the fan boy BS here. If you're interested in what was/is wrong. PM me and I'll share full details.

Jer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

On my 2010 RT S the C clip holding the
    clutch pack fell off letting all of the washers fall into transmission
    And get chewed up. Get clutch pack checked as my spyder would shift
    strange and slow.

Spyder Garage

Question Low to no expectations.

Picked the Spyder up this morning and it has been trouble free for 100 miles.

Really!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... I think!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Jerbear,

Re: has been trouble free for 100 miles.

You deserve some good news. I hope that it continues for you; fingers crossed.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I used to own a BMW '97 840Ci auto and I belonged to a forum for them; they are a rather rare car. There was one guy on there who had not been able to get his car started for 2 1/2 yrs. He was located somewhere in Scandinavia. Then someone from somewhere said, 'Try this . . . ' She started right up.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Angry And it ain't over

First 150 miles and all was well. Picked my girlfriend up for a ride to Big Bear😊 10 miles down the road - 160 miles since bringing the Spyder home and BAM - the P0174 code strikes again. To say I'm pi..ed would be an understatement. I'm honestly at my wits end. And, it is not the techs fault. He has been moving forward in the diagnoses of this problem with BRP tech support at his side through the entire process.

This problem started 18 months ago. There have been more miles put on this Spyder going back and forth to the dealer, than there have been recreationally. By a count of probably 10.

BRP
    World Class Touring Bike

My A..!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the updates Jerbear. I would like to see a PM of the issues that were found. BRP needs to do something here. Behind the counter, under the table? Just make it right for the customer. Enough is enough.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Hope you have a six pack close.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thank you for the updates Jerbear. I would like to see a PM of the issues that were found. BRP needs to do something here. Behind the counter, under the table? Just make it right for the customer. Enough is enough.

PM sent

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about this Jer, if all gets running well maybe we could attend/ and ride out together to 1 or both events in September. Sonora or the Utah one.

TB

Spyder Garage

Angry I wouldn't count on it

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Sorry to hear about this Jer, if all gets running well maybe we could attend/ and ride out together to 1 or both events in September. Sonora or the Utah one.

TB
    Appreciate the thought tho