Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Question SE 5 Down Shift Blip &

So, I had a new clutch installed while it was in for all the other previously mentioned repairs. (since they had it for a month)

New problem post clutch replacement.

Any manual down shift is accompanied by an engine blip, but the down shift doesn't occur in sink with the blip. Instead, it it's delayed by almost a second, sometimes with a new blip and a down shift - sometimes no secondary blip, and sometimes no downshift. Sometimes the downshift with no blip at all below 35MPH causes the rear tire to momentarily lock enough to bark(seize against the pavement).

I can give greater detail as it relates to at what RPM's and gears if needed but suffice to say this happens with any manual downshift above 4K.

Dealer tech knows of the problem(he should have noticed it on test ride - but didn't?) and was to place a phone call to BRP yesterday and call me back. I have heard nothing.

My trip to Springfield is now hinged on a quick fix to this latest problem.

If you happen to have some insight to the cause I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks
    Jer
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-20-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

Being a die hard manual type I'm not familiar with the details on the semi auto. I do recall a fellow ryder having clutch work done and had issues with the springs. Seems there are different ones. Bummer know you were ready to plan your route... hope they get back to you
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks Chupaca

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Being a die hard manual type I'm not familiar with the details on the semi auto. I do recall a fellow ryder having clutch work done and had issues with the springs. Seems there are different ones. Bummer know you were ready to plan your route... hope they get back to you
    I'm thinking "springs" too. It was my first gut instinct.

My reservations are confirmed and registration paid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jer,
    Have you tried letting the computer control handle the downshifting chores?
    Is it still misbehaving then?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jer,
    Have you tried letting the computer control handle the downshifting chores?
    Is it still misbehaving then?
    Thanks Bob but,

If I leave it to the bike to downshift. This is how it goes. Once the tach(engine) drops to about 2K it down shifts to 4th, then 2K it down shifts again to 3rd, and so on. There's no way this works for me(for numerous bike control reason - safety being one of them). The need for it to operate manually is paramount because of my riding style. I think the only time I've ever let it downshift on it's own, was my very first trip on it from Louisiana to California.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's doing that: you've got an issue going on, that needs addressing.
    My 2010 was a bit "awkward", when downshifting on it's own: it never acted like yours is!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Jer,
    that has got to be so frustrating, does it also do it in trailer mode? Hope someone here can think of a remedy, wish Nancy's Toy was still here.
    I would call the tech back and see if he spoke with BRP yesterday. Have the tech also tell them you are leaving for Spyderfest Sunday.

My first fest in 2011, got my faulty throttle body replaced the day before I left for Cuba. And yes, BRP authorized to take a throttle body off of a showroom bike and place it on mine. Just so I could make the fest. Crossing both fingers for you, that you have similar results. BTW my wife gave the ok for me to go, and later today will find out about my other work obligation. So hoping we can ride together.

TicketBait

Spyder Garage

Angry Am I surprised by this........not one damn bit!

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Jer,
    that has got to be so frustrating, does it also do it in trailer mode? Hope someone here can think of a remedy, wish Nancy's Toy was still here.
    I would call the tech back and see if he spoke with BRP yesterday. Have the tech also tell them you are leaving for Spyderfest Sunday.

My first fest in 2011, got my faulty throttle body replaced the day before I left for Cuba. And yes, BRP authorized to take a throttle body off of a showroom bike and place it on mine. Just so I could make the fest. Crossing both fingers for you, that you have similar results. BTW my wife gave the ok for me to go, and later today will find out about my other work obligation. So hoping we can ride together.

TicketBait
    TB

Just hung up with the service writer and he's going to get with the tech(who didn't call me back yesterday). They know I'm committed to go to Springfield, because i chided them about it making it when I picked the spyder up.

Appreciate the thought but, trailer mode would have no influence on proper clutch operation. At best, it's used for RPM control.

As always, I'm trying not to loose my cool here, but it ain't easy.

Personally.... I don't give much hope to making the trip(UNLESS I RIDE ONE OF MY DEPENDABLE BIKES). If it requires a new spring package? I don't think it can get here in time.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Thinking out loud again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have been thinking on this spring thing. The old clutch had 7 discs, the new one has 8. If, and I do not know this. The new clutch pack comes with new springs, they may be stiffer or longer and stiffer to create enough separation for the added 8th disc. If true, the electrically pulsed hydraulic shift mechanism may not exert enough hydraulic force to override the stiffer spring. All supposition on my part, but then again. It may not be far off.