Thread: F3 Hard Start

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Hard Start

This last winter I stored my F3 in an enclosed trailer that was not heated. As winter progressed, when I would go out and start it, it acted like the battery was getting weak. The starter would be slow to engage and it would turn over slower than normal. This spring it has gotten worse so I replaced the battery with an Interstate G/M battery. Well the F3 still acts the same way, the starter has slow engagement and cranking. Have any of you seen this concern and if so what was the fix. Thanks Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGUZZI View Post
    This last winter I stored my F3 in an enclosed trailer that was not heated. As winter progressed, when I would go out and start it, it acted like the battery was getting weak. The starter would be slow to engage and it would turn over slower than normal. This spring it has gotten worse so I replaced the battery with an Interstate G/M battery. Well the F3 still acts the same way, the starter has slow engagement and cranking. Have any of you seen this concern and if so what was the fix. Thanks Dave
    You should not start a bike in the winter unless you plan on puting many miles on it. Heating a machine in the dead of winter atracts moisture and without enough time to charge the battery it kill the battery as well. You should dump the aftermarket battery for a Can-Am authorized battery ASAP and put it on a trickle charger as soon as its installed, manufacturers will tell you its a direct replacement yet it is not . You should also change the oil as you probably have water/moisture in the engine. The best way to store ANY machine for the winter is to top off the gas, put it on a trickle charger and LEAVE IT ALONE. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

Hook it up to your car, engine not running, and see if it starts normal. If it still acts as you described it may be a started problem or connection issue. Not a good idea to start it on the off season if you are not going to ryde it ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you stored the bike: was the battery hooked up to a battery tender?
    It might have been fine, with just a night or two on a charger...
    How about your new battery? Are you SURE that it was fully charged when you installed it?
    Again: give it an overnight visit with a charger...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Suggestions above are right on. Winter starting should not be done. Leave it on a tender. needs to be brought up to temperature if you are going to start it and re-charge the battery. That takes about a half hour of road operation. If it don't get up to temperature, you may have condensation issues as well as the battery going down further each time it is started.

Both my started instantly when woke up this spring after having been on Battery Tenders from Nov-Apr.

I did the same winter start up stuff with my two wheelers, but thanks to Scotty, I finally got it right.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red