Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flyday58 View Post
    BUDS? FNG still learning the lingo. Also stumped about ROLO.
    To learn about ROLO go to http://www.spydercomfort.com/. Rolo is made up from the names of the company owners.

BUDS = BRP Utility Diagnostic Software (maybe System?) Used on all BRP products.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    To learn about ROLO go to http://www.spydercomfort.com/. Rolo is made up from the names of the company owners.

BUDS = BRP Utility Diagnostic Software (maybe System?) Used on all BRP products.
    ROLO. FOBO. BUDS. It's like being back in the USAF!

Interesting site. Too bad no dealers in NM or WesTex.
    Last edited by flyday58; 04-22-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

ROLO. FOBO. BUDS. It's like being back in the USAF!

Interesting site. Too bad no dealers in NM or WesTex.
    Well let me see, we also have ECM, TCM, VSS, SAS, DPS, CAN bus, and ....!! Want any more?

I worked for Uncle for 22 years, so I'm well acquainted with acronyms!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Joe, where will you be in NC

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We have seen bad tires many times. Get a set of Federal evo tires, about 125 dollars, for the pair, and see the difference! Tires are a consumed in use item. We go thru a lot of tires in a year! I'm thinking you got bad ones from the factory, and rather than fiddle with an argument, get the Federal tires, ride up to NC in a couple of weeks when I'm there, and let me fine tune it. I'm confident we can unscrew it! Joe
    Joe, thanks for your answers, when and where will you be in NC?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well let me see, we also have ECM, TCM, VSS, SAS, DPS, CAN bus, and ....!! Want any more?

I worked for Uncle for 22 years, so I'm well acquainted with acronyms!
    We easy to spot, ain't we?
    Lingo-ing up is always a learning curve for noobs. 1st time I read that someone had farkled their frunk I wondered what kind of peeps were on this site!!

But back to topic. Or to pot-stirringstirthepot.gif. So I'm pretty sure Kendas, Kumhos and other scooter tires are constructed the same through the cross section if you cut them in half. I'm guessing car and light truck tires are the same. So it's mainly sidewall loading you wanna be careful of when shopping for non-MC tires for the Spydee? That and overall height? Never fooled with tires on bikes before, just always went back with OEM. Try finding a Yokohama for a 71 AT1C Yamaha...
    Last edited by flyday58; 04-22-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Spyder is new, I only have about 800 miles on it now!
    Is this your first Spyder ?

I'm new at this, having maybe 10 miles on 3 wheels......but my first gut reaction to your post was "Maybe that is normal."
    It does have some handling quirks because of the 3-wheeled geometry.

(Now to go back and re-read your original post and contemplate it for a while.)

Edit: OK answered my own question about being your first 3-wheeler.
    The "old" models did have different tires and I think they are better because.......they don't have those two deep center tread grooves, which I think tends to make the new ones follow things in the pavement more.....like rain grooves and bridge grates......and maybe even follow the slight lean of road crown. Both the symptoms you report DO seem to be related to road crown.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-22-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

So I'm pretty sure Kendas, Kumhos and other scooter tires are constructed the same through the cross section if you cut them in half. I'm guessing car and light truck tires are the same. So it's mainly sidewall loading you wanna be careful of when shopping for non-MC tires for the Spydee? That and overall height? Never fooled with tires on bikes before, just always went back with OEM. Try finding a Yokohama for a 71 AT1C Yamaha...
    The Kendas on the Spyders are not a true m/c tire. They're built more like a car tire and the Spyder rims are almost exactly the same as a car rim. The reason is spyder tires don't lean and run on the side like two wheeler tires do. No, the Kendas are not the same as car tires in that they are thinner rubber and, I think, one ply where all car tires are two or more plies. They're just plain softer and more squishy. The only consideration for what car tire to use are size and how they handle on the Spyder. The choice is limited due to size.

Do a Google search using 'car tires site:spyderlovers.com'. You'll find pages and pages of discussion on the subject. Your tires will be worn out by the time you read through it all!

2014 Copper RTS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Kendas on the Spyders are not a true m/c tire. They're built more like a car tire and the Spyder rims are almost exactly the same as a car rim. The reason is spyder tires don't lean and run on the side like two wheeler tires do. No, the Kendas are not the same as car tires in that they are thinner rubber and, I think, one ply where all car tires are two or more plies. They're just plain softer and more squishy. The only consideration for what car tire to use are size and how they handle on the Spyder. The choice is limited due to size.

Do a Google search using 'car tires site:spyderlovers.com'. You'll find pages and pages of discussion on the subject. Your tires will be worn out by the time you read through it all!
    Yessir, started reading about tires while thinking about getting Dust Devil ( the name I gave her today riding down the canyon in a cloud of, um, dust). Most thread address the rear tire, got a good handle on which way to go there. But I have seen a few posts talking about the fronts. I'll look again. Thanks chief.

Spyder Garage

Default Federal Evo Tires

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We have seen bad tires many times. Get a set of Federal evo tires, about 125 dollars, for the pair, and see the difference! Tires are a consumed in use item. We go thru a lot of tires in a year! I'm thinking you got bad ones from the factory, and rather than fiddle with an argument, get the Federal tires, ride up to NC in a couple of weeks when I'm there, and let me fine tune it. I'm confident we can unscrew it! Joe
    Joe, thanks for your input! I can't find a tire dealer with the Federal Evo 165/55R15 tires in stock! They are all on back order for the next 3 or 4 weeks! Do you have a supplier I can get 2 tires from? I have talked to at least 5 dealers today, trying to get 2 shipped to me! No luck, there must be a big demand for them! If you have a source where I can buy 2 tires, email me at mharper5662@windstream.net. Thank Anne for her help on the phone yesterday!

Spyder Garage

I agree with the others about bad tires. I had a constant pull to the right. Replaced the front tires at 14k miles with Continental Contiprocontact. No more pulling.

Thanks for the info about tires. I will be checking back with the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default NC

Joe, thanks for your answers, when and where will you be in NC?
    We will be in Southern Pines, NC May 2,3,4. Our days are pretty open, as the kids are at work and the grand kids at school. We plan on relaxing after a busy Spyderfest, but will be glad to help you. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Joe, thanks for your input! I can't find a tire dealer with the Federal Evo 165/55R15 tires in stock! They are all on back order for the next 3 or 4 weeks! Do you have a supplier I can get 2 tires from? I have talked to at least 5 dealers today, trying to get 2 shipped to me! No luck, there must be a big demand for them! If you have a source where I can buy 2 tires, email me at mharper5662@windstream.net. Thank Anne for her help on the phone yesterday!
    Tire availability in the size for the front seems to be hit and miss. They come and go, and come again, and then go again. I couldn't find any Federal Formozas a few weeks ago so ordered Contiprocontact. Then a few days later they were available. You just have to keep watching the tire dealers' websites and grab a pair when they're available.

I'm surprised Joe is recommending the Evos as SpyderAnn, his wife, ran some and then switched to Federal Formoza. She says the Formozas give a better ride.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I guess I got lucky and got a set on Jet.com shipped for $92 last week but looks like they don't have them anymore. The other place I was going to use was Online Tires - they look like they have them still... https://www.onlinetires.com/products...vo+75+bsw.html

I went with the 595 Evo on the recommendation of Kenny Butler who swears by them. For < $100 they certainly can't be any worse than the Kendas!

NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Default FEDERAL TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    I guess I got lucky and got a set on Jet.com shipped for $92 last week but looks like they don't have them anymore. The other place I was going to use was Online Tires - they look like they have them still... https://www.onlinetires.com/products...vo+75+bsw.html

I went with the 595 Evo on the recommendation of Kenny Butler who swears by them. For < $100 they certainly can't be any worse than the Kendas!
    Thanks for the tip! I will call them as soon as they open tomorrow to see if they have two (2) front tires! I am planning on carrying it back to the dealer Tuesday or Wednesday! They are over 100 miles away, and I don't think they will do anything about replacing the tires even though it is only 3 weeks old with 800 miles on it! If they do it would be with Kenda's!

Spyder Garage

Default Still having problems with 2016 pulling to the right and handlebar shake

Thanks for the tip! I will call them as soon as they open tomorrow to see if they have two (2) front tires! I am planning on carrying it back to the dealer Tuesday or Wednesday! They are over 100 miles away, and I don't think they will do anything about replacing the tires even though it is only 3 weeks old with 800 miles on it! If they do it would be with Kenda's!
    No Federal EVO tires available at this time in the United States!! My new 2016 RT Limited is still pulling to the right, the handlebars shake at certain speed! Let us go over what has been done to it! It has has 5 different tires on the front of it, been laser aligned 2 times with the Rolo Alignment system, back wheel has been aligned and the tension set, front wheels have been balanced 3 times! Do I need to go on? I have a small amount of loose play in the handlebars, is this normal? Could it be a wheel bearing on the right side? The right side front wheel don't seem to be as easy to turn as the left one does! I am running out of things to try! Any suggestions will be appreciated!! Yes it has been back to the dealer!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am running out of things to try! Any suggestions will be appreciated!! Yes it has been back to the dealer!!!
    If this really is abnormal for that model, then it should be the DEALER who is responsible for fixing it, not YOU.
    Is there a lemon law in Georgia that applies to "motorcycles" ??
    If so, I think you should be looking into that.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT Limited pulling to the right!

No Federal EVO tires available at this time in the United States!! My new 2016 RT Limited is still pulling to the right, the handlebars shake at certain speed! Let us go over what has been done to it! It has has 5 different tires on the front of it, been laser aligned 2 times with the Rolo Alignment system, back wheel has been aligned and the tension set, front wheels have been balanced 3 times! Do I need to go on? I have a small amount of loose play in the handlebars, is this normal? Could it be a wheel bearing on the right side? The right side front wheel don't seem to be as easy to turn as the left one does! I am running out of things to try! Any suggestions will be appreciated!! Yes it has been back to the dealer!!!
    Carried Spyder to another dealer today! They checked the front end throughly, even took front two wheels off another trike and put them on mine. After all the checking, decided it was a wheel bearing on the right front! New bearing on order, hope to get Spyder back in the next couple of days! Was impressed with this dealer and his commitment to solve my Spyder's problem!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that some progress is being made...
    Please let us know what it finally takes, to get you "Back on Three"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT Limited pulling to the right!

Guys,
    Talked to the Spyder Tech about 6:00 PM today, and he had got new right wheel bearing installed and took the Spyder for a test ride. He said the pulling to the right was corrected, but the handlebars still shake at certain speeds! Remember, we have tried 3 kenda's tires, two new V-Rubber tires, and the wheels and tires off of a brand new showroom RT on my Spyder. They all shake the handlebars, and pull to the right! It has been laser aligned using the Rolo system twice, back wheel has been aligned and belt tension set to spec's! Since the dealer is over 2 hours away, I haven't been to ride it and see if the wheel bearing stopped the pulling to the right. I am going the first thing tomorrow morning to ride it. Does anyone have a cure for the handlebars shaking at certain speeds (usually around 50-65 miles per hour)? It is only about 5 weeks old with only 1200 miles on it! Most people on here tell me to get new Federal tires, but there is not a set in the United States of America! Yes E-bay and other tire sites show some, but call them, they have them back ordered from China, yes they are made in China!! Help, Help!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Under warranty still, right? If so it's time IMO to call BRP and get them in the loop, this has gone beyond anything reasonable for a new machine. BRP can "reach out" to your original dealer to impel them to fix your machine or make it right otherwise. Again, just my 2cents.gif