Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wind Blast

Spyder Garage

Default wind Blast

Hi all;
    I'm not positive this is the correct location. If not let me know I erred.
    So I have my new, to me, ride. trying to prep me and it for the daily 45 miles each way commute.

Its got a corbin seat, helli bar backs, and BRP large tour shield. I tool it on the highway for the first time today.
    I noticed it driving it home and the few miles to get home, but anyway, the wind hits me dead in the face and tried to rip off my helmet and darn near my glasses.

Is there a lip that i could use or , worst case, an alternate windshield. the shield does a nice job on my hands and body. its too bad, i'm just the perfect height. and i'm actually short and shrinking
    KES
    2012 Spyder RS SE5 - Pearl White
    Corbin, phoenix running boards,
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    BRP? side fairing defectors
    Twisted Throttle Air foil
    other forgotten doo dads
    Real crotchety old curmudgeon at the helm.

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say...

What kind of helmet...?? what height are you..?? etc. The clip on flip or permanent flip ones you can get at Twisted Throttle. If you have a loose fitting open/3/4 helmet they will give you more problems than a full face or modular... Is this a cross wind or just normal freeway speed wind..?? things to consider. One of the reasons I like the modular helmets cause I can close it when the wind kicks up and problem solved...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depends on your setup as well. When we bought our GS/RS, it came with the stock bars, stock seat, and two screens. The stock 12" sport screen, and the 24" touring screen. When we modded the bike with heli bars, and the BRP comfort seat, our seating position became more upright. With the touring screen that put our heads right in the turbulent buffeting zone aft of the screen. If I crouch in a sport tuck I can stay in the quiet air bubble, if I sit up and cruise I get wind right on the head. We opted for the shorter sport screen for everyday, since it took the wind blast off our chests and left our helmets (full face) in the clean airflow above. For winter I switch back to the touring screen - to put up with the buffeting in order to trade off for more wind protection on the body. (FYI we are 5'7" and 5'9")
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sorry'
    I'd guess I'm down to @ 5'8" now. lost a few inches. using my old half helmet. with my wiley SG-1 goggles/glasses.

no - its normal highway. not crosswind. though the turbulence I'm in is knocking me silly all around.

Yes; I definitely believe its the newer upright position created with the Helli and the corbin that places me in this spot. Yes i can crouch and get behind the screen. But my body doesn't play that game anymore. if it could I'd surely be on an R1200GS adventure or my wing, or my harley or my....... not that i don't want to love this. that just isn't true. It is true that it isn't a bike which was my first love for 45 years or so.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, sounds like it's the combo of seating position and the screen. There've been many innovative DIY solutions, from cutting down the screen a few inches, to installing a vent (like on the Wing shields), or those lip attachments to flip air up and over the head, to complete replacement systems like Madstad http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.3581/.f
    Last edited by asp125; 04-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thank you. my initial prognosis yes but don't know the specific vehicle characteristics.
    I had a an aeroflow on a B<W awhile back that seemed to work well. i mention because it was vented though possibly not in the manner you reference. that unit did create other problems at stupid speeds but that i think was shear size over oem design.
    i'd check out the venting you mention.

if there isn''t a particular shield I should check out I'd be very interested in learning what lip options there may be. If I could just bounce that turbulence a few inches more it should work. or possibly then hit me in the back of the head.
    Don't laugh, I've seen it happen before.

I'd just like to cure it before I go back to the 7 day work routine. I actually consider current unsafe. I cannot keep my glasses on. It must be comical to anyone passing me by on the highway.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Anyone have experience with the MRA x-Creen extension?
    It seems it would do the trick if it fit.
    I don't want to reinvent the wheel.or waste money I don't have if it's been proven out already.

I did learn of to help brand searching to hehe forum.but found.nothing on this lip only a screen to hehe he must also produce.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default laminar li,

Laminar Lip is the cure

QUOTE=kes;1248427]Hi all;
    I'm not positive this is the correct location. If not let me know I erred.
    So I have my new, to me, ride. trying to prep me and it for the daily 45 miles each way commute.

Its got a corbin seat, helli bar backs, and BRP large tour shield. I tool it on the highway for the first time today.
    I noticed it driving it home and the few miles to get home, but anyway, the wind hits me dead in the face and tried to rip off my helmet and darn near my glasses.

Is there a lip that i could use or , worst case, an alternate windshield. the shield does a nice job on my hands and body. its too bad, i'm just the perfect height. and i'm actually short and shrinking[/QUOTE]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i sure wish one of the windshield manufacturers would market a recurve windshield for the RT. LRS makes them for about every bike except the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Either the Laminar Lip, or the MRA X-Creen should do the trick for you.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

http://mra.de/en/x-creen/
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-20-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I found allot of my old resources don't do spyders. I'm actually on my way to twisted throttle factory store as we speak with my daughter handily driving with her learners permit
    I'm going to take a leap and try that lip I asked about above. I'll do my best to report back.

I'm trying to get her setup to go back to work. I normally work 7 days a week so I'll probably only bug you folks in spurts.

I see me wanting to switch over to an RT for the lughage space as I find myself looking forward to my next ride. That's the way it should be. The way it used to be. The way I disnt think I'd get to feel again.

So I guess this is progress.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, and Happy Shopping for your NEXT Spyder...
    Once the Camel's nose gets under the tent-flap: things start happening fast!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aug 2016 011.jpgI had the BRP RS Ultra Touring 23" on my RS. It worked very well for me but I am only 5'4". You have 4 more inches and it could be that your just a little tall for that Screen.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 04-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    Sorry'
    I'd guess I'm down to @ 5'8" now. lost a few inches. using my old half helmet. with my wiley SG-1 goggles/glasses.

I'm your height & have the same problem with my BRP 25" touring screen. For this season I have installed a clip-on adjustable lip. So far I find an improvement but not a total cure. Not even sure if a total cure is possible.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

update - and thank you all for the input and verification -
    MRA x creen acquired and installed. not yet tried. apologies to sponsors for not finding it on one of your sites.

I can report it looks like it belongs there. If it works I will be happy. I chose this unit because it is adjustable and can also be had with a clamp on kit so one doesn't have to drill their shield.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

The one I have is a Puig clip-on.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MRA x creen acquired and installed. not yet tried. apologies to sponsors for not finding it on one of your sites.

I can report it looks like it belongs there. If it works I will be happy. I chose this unit because it is adjustable and can also be had with a clamp on kit so one doesn't have to drill their shield.
    Thanks for letting us know that you found a potential solution.
    Now: we're waiting to hear how it works; good luck!

Spyder Garage

Curious with your report . I'm 6'2" and have the same problem with touring on my rs. I am thinking about purchasing the MRA.

Anxiously waiting

Spyder Garage

I was just dying to take it in to job 2 today to try it (and figure out how to take along my delith Karl's lunch box, an over texted computer bags and a million. Duffle)
    But it's pouting so I have to wait.

Part of my re education is to not mandate riding every day as I did when healthy. It was not easy to leave it there.
    But allas. I will report back or someone can kick me. When I get back to my normal work schedule I'll probably slink back to the shadows. Maybe not totally though now that I have one and thanks to the forum features that help me know to look. Thank you for that.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This place is open for business 24/7...
    You can always leave something overnight, and we'll find it!

Spyder Garage

Thank you!
    I see that auto complete butchered my last post. My phone and I just don't get along. And to think, it's smarter than the room full of computers that put men on the moon. Wonder if it's the operator.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard it said that "It takes a poor carpenter, to blame his tools..."
    It's a good thing that you're not a carpenter!

"Otto Krachit" gets me in trouble also...

Spyder Garage

Well.......I thought I made a mistake once; but I was mistaken.
    I was heavily involved with the zr1 forum some 17 or.more years back. Some great folks there too. You become family. I had people from all over the country and the UK when I hosted one of our bbq's. I was saved by members in different parts of the country as I travelled. Awesome bunch as I anticipate may be the case here.

Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

Oh, and to keep it on topic. I removed some plastic just to bind and di a visual PM. Boy, someone sure kept her clean. I know the mileage was low, but she is spotless.

Did they ever make an orange RT?
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is Cognac close enough?

Hawk's Nest 04-12-2015 02.jpg

Look for a 2014 model: this is a "One, & Done" color...

Spyder Garage

Dang! From the pic it sure would. Its.no golding orange but looks just fine.
    Now don't get me wrong. I'm far from well to do. Lost my job after 25 yrs....struggled back over 2 yrs. Making allot less but working for a year and work 7 days trying to keep my home.
    There was no logical excuse for getting this bike but I did. I'm just now thinking. Ok you know you like it well enough so maybe keep an eye out for what fits your use age better so you can spend money you don't have on a bike you'll keep.

Now where I wealthy......I guess I'drag keep the sports car AND get the luxo cruiser.

Dang.....yes i think I love it. By the name I wouldnt have thought so. My gl1800 orange was a one year color.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads