Spyder Garage

Default Need Help ASAP Please!!!

Trying to do my oil change. I can't for the life of me get the dang oil drain plug un-done!!! It's like the dealership used loctite on it when they put it back from the first oil change!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated since I already have the hcm module filter out!!!! It's a 2011 RS SE5, if that makes a difference!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    Trying to do my oil change. I can't for the life of me get the dang oil drain plug un-done!!! It's like the dealership used loctite on it when they put it back from the first oil change!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated since I already have the hcm module filter out!!!! It's a 2011 RS SE5, if that makes a difference!!!

Remember to loosen turn counterclockwise to tighten turn clockwire

Spyder Garage

Lefty-loosey, righty-tightie!!! It won't budge.... When I'm trying to loosen it, the whole oil tank is pulling towards me. They put that damned thing in waaaaaaay to tight!!!

Spyder Garage

Lefty-loosey, righty-tightie!!! It won't budge.... When I'm trying to loosen it, the whole oil tank is pulling towards me. They put that damned thing in waaaaaaay to tight!!!

ok then loosen the hose that is on the right side of the oil tank the one that has the strainer at the same time you can clean the strainer you can empty the oil tank that way after you empty the engine

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One thing that i have had the best luck with is to tap the center of the drain plug with a punch and hammer. LIGHT TAP! Just to shock the plug a little.

Spyder Garage

I'll remember that for next time!! I finally got it!! Had to brace my foot against the bike and pull for all I was worth. It "popped" when it let loose!! Nothing like the smell of dirty oil in the afternoon!!

Thank you much!!

Spyder Garage

Those plugs can be a bear. The diameter of the plug face is much larger than the diameter of the wrench you will use to remove it. This gives the plug a great mechanical advantage over you. Put a vice-grip on the OD of the plug and put the other wrench where it normally goes. Turn both of them together. That should do it. The outside diameter of the plug will get buggered up, but don't worry about it at this time. Use a new sealing washer. Order Gold Plugs or another brand with regular wrench hex heads for next time. They are worth the money.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Those plugs can be a bear. The diameter of the plug face is much larger than the diameter of the wrench you will use to remove it. This gives the plug a great mechanical advantage over you. Put a vice-grip on the OD of the plug and put the other wrench where it normally goes. Turn both of them together. That should do it. The outside diameter of the plug will get buggered up, but don't worry about it at this time. Use a new sealing washer. Order Gold Plugs or another brand with regular wrench hex heads for next time. They are worth the money.

I agree the OEM drain plugs are junk i installed dimple magnetic drain plugs on my first oil change

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just changed the oil in the F3 this weekend. It's got an Allen head on the right side and a Torx on the left!

Spyder Garage

Everything changed out, oil light goes off in a timely manner at start up. All that's left to do is put the panels back on and take 'er for a spin!!!!!

Thanks again for the suggestions!!! Hopefully next time I won't have so much trouble since everything was hand-tightened and not using pneumatic tools!!!! Grrrrrrr!!!

Spyder Garage

Everything changed out, oil light goes off in a timely manner at start up. All that's left to do is put the panels back on and take 'er for a spin!!!!!

Before you take that spin let it heat up proper and recheck your oil gauge.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Hot oil and time will create a varnish very much like loctite. Hiting the plug breaks up the varnish allowing you to remove the plug. best way to do it is to place the tool you are going to use and hiting it with the hammer...As mentioned many times by many folks here, change the plugs for the bolt head style. Best known are the Dimple (I use these, expensive but the best) and the gold much more reasonable...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Use one of these.

To loosen just use one of these. It's just that easy.

Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    I agree the OEM drain plugs are junk i installed dimple magnetic drain plugs on my first oil change
    Me, too !

Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

I've found my cordless impact driver does wonders for breaking bolts or nuts loose.
    Must be careful and ensure the bit or socket is a perfect fit but I've even used this on the bowl screws on my buell carb.

NOTE: I did not say an impact wrench, just my cordless impact driver.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DONE MY OWN oil changes since new and never had an issue. Strange how this problem keeps creeping up recently.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been debating about if I want to change my oil or take it to my dealer and have them do it.... If I can find a deal on some Amsoil I will give it a go I think!

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

I had taken mine in for it's 600 mile checkup some time ago and hadn't taken it back for an oil change. I figured I'd do it myself this time. I had a 10 year old Jeep Liberty that I had done all but 5 oil changes on. How hard could this be on a Spyder?? Took a while, but it's done. Runs great!!! Followed the green manual to a "tee" on changing the oil, replacing it, running the bike for a couple minutes, etc. Now that I've done it, I'll have no hesitation in doing it myself again!!! and I think I'll get the Dimple plugs for the next oil change too!!

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Tricks of the trade

If any type of thread is stuck, especially a tapered thread, always try to tighten it first. The micro-striations caused when tightening mean it will be easier to break it by continuing to tighten it. Trust me, 10+ years as a pipe fitter, I've learned the tricks to budge stuck threads, and going tighter is about 50% less effort. So in reality, to break it free, you can turn it either way, with no extra risk of ruining anything. Using a proper quality wrench, or a proper socket also go a long way. Cheap tools break, and break things as they flex.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

New to the Can Am crowd, but read enough on the oil drain thing to know I want those Gold plugs. In looking for them I find them but the say to use your old O rings. There are two of them and ones a different color. Where can I get just the O rings for the Gold plugs?
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    New to the Can Am crowd, but read enough on the oil drain thing to know I want those Gold plugs. In looking for them I find them but the say to use your old O rings. There are two of them and ones a different color. Where can I get just the O rings for the Gold plugs?
    Buckskin
    Drain plugs for the 998 engine that this thread is about do not have o-rings.

2018 F3 LIMITED