Spyder Garage

Default Mounting your iPhone

Hello all,

I'm looking to mount my iPhone on my 2014 Spyder RSS so I can use it as my GPS. What mounts are people using to do so?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up DIY IPhone mount

On my ST I fabricated my own phone and gps mount.

In the picture I have an XGrip that is holding my GPS. It will also hold my IPhone.
    The Xgrip is available from EBay. the XGrip comes with a Ram Ball mount
    and short arm that bolts to the left handle bar bolt.
    This XGrip also has a USB socket for charging the Iphone.
    Simple construction from a flat piece of aluminum stock. Drilled to mount to
    the handle bar bolts. Bought longer bolts from Ebay. Got spacers from the local
    hardware store. Installed a Powerlet socket, for my heated gear, in the center of the mount.
    Easy, effective, and INEXPENSIVE.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a Hopnel dash bag, velcro on top of dash. I'll slip my phone in there while hooked to charger. I use it for XM and other internet radio and GPS. it speaks directions so I have no reason to look at it, I listen thru BT in helmet. Was $23 shipped, fleebay. There are a lot of Motorcycle phone mounts on fleebay for under $20.
    2010 GS SE5 red and black
    1982 Honda GL650 (showroom condition)
    2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by asp125; 04-19-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Don't get the Ram mount aqua box.

I had one and found that the clear plastic started coming away from the rubber surround. It happened in one place about 3 months after I got it. As I was on a trip and needed it I used a little superglue to fix the bit that had come unstuck thinking it must have just got damaged at some point. However as time went on other areas also came unstuck. In the end I ended up having to put the phone in a jiffy bag to keep it dry before putting it in the aqua case.

The other issue with them is that there's no way to run power to the phone while it's in the case. I ended up cutting a small hole in the rubber surround, pushing through the power cable so it was plugged into the phone and then using Sugru to make it water proof.

What I now have is a DriRider Navigator Tank bag. This is absolutely fantastic little tank bag. it uses suction cups instead of magnets to stick so works on our plastic bodywork. It also has the option of ties so on my RS I use the tie at the back and suction cups at the front. It has a little pocket on top for a phone or GPS and you can route a power cable to it. What I particularly like is that the bag itself attaches to the base with velcro, so you can leave the base attached to your Spyder and 'rip' the bag off. There are clips as well if you don't trust the velcro but I've found it works fine. They are made in Australia but I'm guessing they are available elsewhere:
    http://www.dririder.com.au/all-produ...gator-tank-bag