Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Front fender support

HELP!!! Has anyone had the front fender support break? Not sure if I was hit and run in the parking lot or if this is a defective part. It a very clean break
    right at the weld I have a small scratch on the outside of the fender any ides before I go off and contact the insurance jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    HELP!!! Has anyone had the front fender support break? Not sure if I was hit and run in the parking lot or if this is a defective part. It a very clean break
    right at the weld I have a small scratch on the outside of the fender any ides before I go off and contact the insurance jtpollock
    My friend has a 08 model and one of his broke. Never found out why. He replaced it and ok since then.
    David

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's what I am afraid of it was such a clean break like snapping a pencil. Thanks for the input jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default Have had two break on our RTs

The front right fender tube broke on our 11 RT just above the mounting boss at the weld. Looked to be a fatigue crack as half was a fresh break at around 60-70,000 miles. Last summer wifes 15 RTS had the left front break at around 30,000 miles. Replaced the first one after we got home from Utah. Second one was 20 miles from home and duct tape got us home and then took it off and got it welded. JMO but stress is high where the rigid cast mounting boss meets the tube leading upward to the fender, and periodic vibration from rough roads and/or any imbalance can take its toll over time. Thinking about Lamonsters Centramatic balancers to negate one of these factors.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRONT FENDER BRACKETS

.... On my 08 GS I had three break from fatigue ...... my front shocks failed and this ended up as a result .... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW... looks like a ware and tare item I have just under 70,000 miles and the highways through the Denver area are poor to say the least.
    Thank for the input I will see if I can get to welded taking it apart could be a problem with the fender lights just another Spyder adventure. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default WELDING

WOW... looks like a ware and tare item I have just under 70,000 miles and the highways through the Denver area are poor to say the least.
    Thank for the input I will see if I can get to welded taking it apart could be a problem with the fender lights just another Spyder adventure. jtpollock
    ....depending the break is .... remove the mud flap ...remove the tire ..... unplug the wiring ..... I matched up a bolt after I trimmed the threads down and slid that into the hole in the bracket ( they are hollow ) cut some of the break area away and welded a bead to the bracket and bolt .... then did the same on the other side ..... If you are MIG welding ... I suggest you dis-connect Battery and pull all the fuses and relays ( probably not necessary but it won't hurt ) ...... good luck ..... I know a guy at a muffler shop and they Mig weld systems all the time and don't do ANYTHING like what I suggested to the cars/trks etc ......... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....depending the break is .... remove the mud flap ...remove the tire ..... unplug the wiring ..... I matched up a bolt after I trimmed the threads down and slid that into the hole in the bracket ( they are hollow ) cut some of the break area away and welded a bead to the bracket and bolt .... then did the same on the other side ..... If you are MIG welding ... I suggest you dis-connect Battery and pull all the fuses and relays ( probably not necessary but it won't hurt ) ...... good luck ..... I know a guy at a muffler shop and they Mig weld systems all the time and don't do ANYTHING like what I suggested to the cars/trks etc ......... Mike

Mike,

Thanks I have a local shop am going to see if they can weld as I do not have the skill or tools. Keep the rubber side down jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A new one is only $50. Probably quite a few used ones on eBay too. I have at least 2 sets of 11'-12' fenders in our shop storage but I'm away/back and forth in Monaco until after the race at the end of next month. If you still need one then I can see if I can dig them up?
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 05-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Been a while...

Seems there was several back a spell but nothing till yours. like mike said, put in a re enforcement before welding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default A BETTER CHEAPER FIX

Mike,

Thanks I have a local shop am going to see if they can weld as I do not have the skill or tools. Keep the rubber side down jtpollock
    If " DrewNJ " is even close in price , I'd go that route ...... welders don';t do it for free .......... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

THANKS AGAIN for all the input, after talking to my shop guy's R&R and welding time they though two hr's. I ordered the support from the dealer $62 including tax so I will go that route
    and install it myself adding to my skill set. Drew saved me on the headlight mounting tab this is the second time he has stepped up what a guy .

you guy's are the best for info the dealership really had one option... Happy Days and Good ride'n. jtpollock