Spyder Garage

Default What's my Spyder thinking about? Understanding CAN-Bus

I decided to put my spyder on the psychiatrist couch to find out what's thinking about...........

I searched the internet for information about BRP's implementation of CAN-Bus and found nothing! BMW uses an implementation of CAN-Bus and allows some access by the owners, but BRP is mum and forces us to go to the dealer, or pay at least $500.00 to purchase the software, keys, and cables.

I found a nice explanation of how CAN-Bus is used in the automotive industry. This is a semi-technical article well worth reading for all Spyder owners. You will get some idea what is going on when you turn the key on. CAN-Bus chats it up all of the time with the various modules on the Spyder, just like at home I don't listen to what everyone says to me, the modules ignore date not address to it specifically, yet they all transmit their data on a 2 wire communication channel to hear.

Read this article if you care to understand how this works.

Automotive CAN-Bus Systems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious where the things you list are available for $500. Can you quote a source?

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Default $550.00 per year for the Spyder software.

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    I'm curious where the things you list are available for $500. Can you quote a source?

thehawk
    Hawk, Here is the link below. The cost is $550 per year for the Spyder. You can download the demo and load it to a PC. I found this a few days ago and downloaded the demo, but I've not loaded it onto my old PC yet. Let us know what you think.

Here's the link your requested BRP Diagnostics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will need more than just the software to access the can bus

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patience.jpg

These systems aren't really meant to be tinkered with...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The BRP proprietary version of CANBUS is called B.U.D.S.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default B.U.D.S

hell I broke down and purchased B.U.D.S with two years of a Megatech license

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    The BRP proprietary version of CANBUS is called B.U.D.S.
    That is not correct. CAN is is the language that smart modules use to talk to each other. BUS is the actual wires and protocol that connect the smart modules. Together that's Can Bus.

B.U.D.S is the software interface that is used to communicate with a BRP product.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I will just watch this one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know what mine thinks...

spyder-front-56a6545a3df78cf7728c6ece.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That is not correct. CAN is is the language that smart modules use to talk to each other. BUS is the actual wires and protocol that connect the smart modules. Together that's Can Bus.

B.U.D.S is the software interface that is used to communicate with a BRP product.
    Billybovine, that is correct?

CAN stands for Controller Area Network, and Bus describes the physical (Wire) network that connect the various modules.

CAN-Bus systems do not have a central main computer. The control of your Spyder is divided into modules that exchange information on the BUS

My intention for starting this thread was to bring awareness to how CAN-Bus works.

Once again I would suggest reading this article that discusses CAN-Bus.

Spyder Garage

Ya'll are correct. I was shorthanding to assist the OP in case he was unclear about the BRP control system. Sorry for any confusion I could have caused.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) GENERAL SYSTEM DESCRIPTION The CAN (Controller Area Network) protocol is an ISO standard for serial data communication. CAN lines consisting of a pair of twisted wires (WHITE/BEIGE and WHITE/BLACK), link several electronic modules (ECU's) and sensors in the vehicle. This allows the various modules and components of the system to be in constant communication with each other. Refer to COMMUNICATION BETWEEN MODULES THROUGH THE CAN BUSin this subsection. If a component or system malfunction is detected, a module and/or sensor may generate a fault code, which it transmits through the CAN bus as a coded signal. The fault signal may be used for various functions such as triggering the display of an error message in the multifunction gauge cluster, turning on a fault indicator light, and limiting or inhibiting vehicle or engine operation. Fault codes can be displayed in the multifunction gauge or in B.U.D.S. for troubleshooting. The CAN is monitored by the: – ECM (engine control module) – Multifunction gauge cluster – VCM (vehicle control module) – TCM (transmission control module) – DPS (dynamic power steering) – Radio – WPM (windshield parking brake module). The dynamic link connector (DLC) is mainly used by technicians for connecting the vehicle to B.U.D.S. for viewing fault codes, troubleshooting various systems, changing certain vehicle parameters or for updating module software. WH/BG WH/BK ECM DPS SAS YRS DLC MSL WPM RDO TCM VCM CLUSTER rmr2014-023-001 CLUSTER: Multifunction Gauge DLC: Diagnostic Link Connector DPS: Dynamic Power Steering ECM: Engine Control Module MSL: Multifunction Switch Left RDO: Radio SAS: Steering Angle Sensor TCM: Transmission Control Module (SE6 model) VCM: Vehicle Control Module WH/BG: White/Beige WH/BK: White/Black WPM: Windshield Parking Brake Module YRS: Yaw Rate Sensor rmr2014-023 1

The MSL broadcast the following signals through CAN: – Reverse – Push to talk (CB PTT) – Mode – Set – Cruise – Upshift/downshift (SE6 model) – Windshield up/down – RECC left/right and up/down (Roadster Electronic Command Center) – LH/RH turn signal reset. NOTE: D.E.S.S. is not linked to CAN, it communicates via radio wave signal with the key antenna. For more information, refer to DIAGNOSTIC AND FAULT CODES . Communication Between Modules Through the CAN Bus The following table shows what modules communicate with each other. MODULE/SENSOR COMMUNICATE WITH MODULE/SENSOR ECM (engine control module) All except SAS and YRS Multifunction cluster gauge All VCM (vehicle control module) All TCM (transmission control module) (SE6) All except SAS SAS (steering angle sensor) Multifunction cluster gauge, VCM, DPS YRS (yaw rate sensor) VCM, TCM, DPS, Multifunction cluster gauge DPS (dynamic power steering) All except MSL Radio ECM, multifunction cluster gauge, TCM, DPS, VCM MSL (multifunction switch LH side) All except SAS, YRS, DPS and radio WPM (windshield and parking brake module) All except SAS, YRS

Copied from the service manual

Spyder Garage

Now I am really confused. CAN BUS ? I thought it was a Bus stop somewhere in Canada that BRP uses frequently!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that it was some sort of abbreviation for "Canned Heat"...

Spyder Garage

Search old threads here.
    There was a guy that got a ODB-II development set and started hacking at the protocol.
    He made a little progress but not much due to time.
    Had he had more time I think he would have deciphered the proprietary protocol.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that was Roger... I'll contact him, and see where he got with that project.