Spyder Garage

Default Does the ACE 1330 engine contain a Slipper Clutch?

I would like to know if the ACE 1330 engine contains a slipper clutch, or is BRP using Nanny to watch for wheel skid on compression braking. I read in the owner's manual that Nanny may increase (open) the throttle to prevent skidding on sudden throttle release. The owner's manual did not give any further details. I suspect that the engine does not have a slipper clutch. The lack of a slipper clutch could allow the engine to overrev during an accidental downshift.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride MOre worry less 02.jpg

The computers won't let you downshift, if it's going to put you into an over-rev situation...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mine has a semi automatic with paddle shifters, does that count?

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe it is all hydraulic and computer controlled to the point you cannot overrev on the downshift. It just won't let you shift.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I believe it is all hydraulic and computer controlled to the point you cannot overrev on the downshift. It just won't let you shift.

Doc,

That makes perfect sense for the SE6. Thank you.

How about the manual tranny?

High power (compression) 4 stroke 2 wheelers use a slipper clutch to prevent wheel hop on downshifting, how does the manual tranny Spyder handle this problem. I have not looked at the parts list for this engine to ascertain the existence of a slipper clutch. Do we have any readers out there that have disassembled a ACE 1330?

Spyder Garage

Default yes and no

The SE5 and SE6 have slipper clutch. On the SE5's you had to be above 4,000 rpm so as not to have the clutch unlock. That is how you go slow in parking lots. I saw an SE5 RT with the clutch basket burned up as the user had pulled a trailer at low speeds at too low an rpm. Not sure on the SE6 where the unlock point is. Someone will have to tell on the SE6. Should be in the unread owners manual.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

As far as I can tell, there is no true modern slipper clutch to eliminate engine braking that I can sense when riding.

Yes the SE does have a semi automatic design for acceleration.

You can shift up and down, sounding pretty much like a modern supercar, including off throttle bang when you get back in it.

Spyder Garage

Default Slipper Clutch details: Slipper Clutches on motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    The SE5 and SE6 have slipper clutch. On the SE5's you had to be above 4,000 rpm so as not to have the clutch unlock. That is how you go slow in parking lots. I saw an SE5 RT with the clutch basket burned up as the user had pulled a trailer at low speeds at too low an rpm. Not sure on the SE6 where the unlock point is. Someone will have to tell on the SE6. Should be in the unread owners manual.

Thanks Deer Slayer: I understand what you're explaining, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. What I'm talking about is a clutch that allows the drive wheel to spin freely during hard engine compression braking, giving the rear drive wheel a place to release its energy. Without this feature the drive wheel will hop or skip off the pavement. This was first discovered when super bikes went from 2 cycle to 4 cycle engines. Many accidents occurred until engineers designed a sprag clutch system to release this energy.

Here is a good article that describes Slipper Clutches on motorcycles

Spyder Garage

Default How Slipper Clutches work: Video

Here is a nice video that tells the Slipper Clutch story.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Thanks Deer Slayer: I understand what you're explaining, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. What I'm talking about is a clutch that allows the drive wheel to spin freely during hard engine compression braking, giving the rear drive wheel a place to release its energy. Without this feature the drive wheel will hop or skip off the pavement. This was first discovered when super bikes went from 2 cycle to 4 cycle engines. Many accidents occurred until engineers designed a sprag clutch system to release this energy.

Not sure it applies, but both our F3 and RT will occasionally "Bang" into first gear. I think it's a software glitch. It usually occurs when you are going down a slight incline in second gear and suddenly it's like the computer forgets what it's doing, then decides to freewheel for a few seconds, them "bam" it drops it first gear. By how hard it hits, I doubt that it has a slipper clutch irrespective of the hydraulic system.
    I was always cautioned to get the clutches engaged quickly when starting off. Consistent low RPM's when taking off could possibly prematurely wear the clutch. It needs to lock up tight. And that is another reason I don't think that it has slipping clutch. I think they tried to take care of what you are talking about by software means and setting parameters for downshifting.

Spyder Garage

Star Motorcycles had a nice video showing how their new design had a slipper clutch built into the main clutch, perhaps BRP has incorporated this type of feature into the new ACE1330 engine?

Last edited by Leland; 04-17-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012RT and now have a 2016 F3. I do not see the need for a slipper clutch. Neither of my 2 wheelers have them either.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-17-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deerslayer is referring to the engagement clutch used in the "SE" transmissions.
    The sE-5 has a centrifugal system: it's a "slipper" only in that it takes a couple of hundred rpm for it to fully engage and lock-up. This process seems to occur in the 3,200 to 3,500 rpm range...
    The SE-6 is a whole different animal: it engages and locks up hydraulically. This all seems to occur down around 2,000 rpm.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post

Never had either spyder hop or skip the rear tire on deceleration.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

No slipper clutch. Really no need for it on a Spyder. If you wish to confirm for yourself take a look at the exploded parts view on BRP's website.

2018 F3 LIMITED