Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering a Leftover ST-S: Questions

My dealer has a leftover (ie - brand-new) 2016 ST-S that I'm considering making an offer on. Asking price (after instant rebate of $3500) is $17799. Although I've done research online, I'm new to Spyders so would appreciate any help with making this decision. My questions are:

1. The ST-S has the V-Twin engine which I know has been discontinued on 2017 model Spyders. The dealer says that maintenance would be "a little" more frequent on the V-Twin than on the newer engines. How does the V-Twin stack up against the newer engines with regard to reliability, etc?

2. What else should I be considering with regard to the V-Twin/ST-S vs. other models with newer engines?

3. Assuming comfort (my #1 consideration) is the same, would I be better off spending approx. $2k more on a 2017 F3?

4. Last, but not least (at least for now ), how much could I reasonably expect the price to be reduced by after negotiating?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly: as good as the STs were: save your money for the F-3.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely look for a deal on a leftover F3
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

It's all in the test ryde. I must say I am a V-twin lover so won't fight the crowd on the advantages they feel the triple has but if you are planning long trips crusing and touring, you need a comfortable ryde. The only models left in BRP's line up is the RT and the F3. So this gives you an upright chair seating or a flat on your bottom seating. Try them out...I think BRP is having their test ryde program once again....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If Comfort is your number one consideration I would look at a leftover RT. I purchased a 16 RT for $2500 more than he is asking for the ST

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

I love my '13 STS SE5!!!! I was not comfortable on the F3, feet forward position was not good for me. I would say your comfort is the primary deciding factor!
    Both engines are very reliable, the V-twin uses a bit of oil between changes, this is mainly because it is a higher revving engine than the 3 cylinder.
    Mounting and dismounting are easier for me on the ST vs. the F3, I have 30" inseam with 2 hip replacements.
    As for price I think the dealer is still a bit high. I bought a 2013 STS SE5 in May of 2015 and I was out the door for $14,000. So see if he will step up and give you a better deal!!!!
    Yes, "out the door" includes taxes, destination fee...

Good luck!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please understand that I'm not saying that the STs aren't great bikes: they are!
    But the new bikes with the new engines and transmissions are that much better...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Honestly: as good as the STs were: save your money for the F-3.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Definitely look for a deal on a leftover F3
    Could you guys elaborate a bit on why you feel I'd be better off with an F-3?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    I love my '13 STS SE5!!!! I was not comfortable on the F3, feet forward position was not good for me. I would say your comfort is the primary deciding factor!
    Both engines are very reliable, the V-twin uses a bit of oil between changes, this is mainly because it is a higher revving engine than the 3 cylinder.
    Mounting and dismounting are easier for me on the ST vs. the F3, I have 30" inseam with 2 hip replacements.
    As for price I think the dealer is still a bit high. I bought a 2013 STS SE5 in May of 2015 and I was out the door for $14,000. So see if he will step up and give you a better deal!!!!

Good luck!!!!
    Thanks for that info!

Like you, I have a short inseam (29"). No hip replacements yet, but arthritis in at least one of them. So, YES, comfort is a priority, and the seating position on the ST seems just a tad bit narrower (and more comfortable for me) than an RT. (Haven't really been fit for an F-3 yet.)

When you say that the V-Twin "uses a bit of oil between changes", are saying that it tends to burn or leak oil and that you need to add oil to it in between oil changes? If so, that doesn't sound good to my inexperienced ears!

Thanks for relating your experience with pricing as well. I assume that everything is negotiable - just didn't know how negotiable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a disclaimer. The following text is my opinion only. Take it for what its worth. It's been my experience that anyone on this forum who doesn't think the F-3 is the best Spyder ever is routinely flamed by certain people on here.

If it were me I'd ride both an STS and an F-3 before I purchased. They are completely different seating styles and you might like one better than the other. For my own personal tastes.....you could not give me an F-3. The seating style (cruiser style) is a back killer for me. For you it might be perfect?

As far as reliability and power. I'd say the twin and triple are about the same. Having ridden both I don't notice a big difference in power from one to the other. The twin makes power at higher revs, the triple makes it at lower revs. Plenty of people here have put many 10's of thousands of miles on the twin with no issues.

BRP doesn't make the STS anymore and I'm sure dealers are dying to get them off the floor. Personally, I'd offer $2-3K less than the price you listed. Might not go for it but doesn't hurt to try.

Have a look at Cycle trader. You can find new STS and F-3 bikes on there (2015 and 2016) with really good deals if you don't mind traveling to get your bike..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use about 1/2 qt of oil between changes. I don't think it burns all of it. I believe some of it is blown out the box. Definitely no leaks. I'm told this is normal. The twins have been around since 2008. They are pretty bullet proof.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like the idea of the lower RPM's and less maintenance on the 1330. That was my main reason for going with a RT, and now a F3T. I do like the riding position on the ST, but I think the price that they are quoting you is way off. With the deals out there right now, I would be looking at a close to $14k or less out the door price.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why would I prefer the 1330 bike, over the 998?
    lower operating rpm
    more torque (20%) at a lower rpm level
    better fuel economy... longer fuel range
    1220 watt alternator, versus a 650 watt magneto
    dual radiators that reverse airflow when stopped... no hot air gets to the rider.
    no valve adjustments
    9300 miles (or one year) between oil changes (versus about half of that for the 998)
    The hydraulic clutch engagement system on the SE models will prevent burning up clutch plates.
    The old centrifugal system that is on the 998s won't...
    (Only matters if you have the SE transmission.)

Spyder Garage

The 2K you save on the ST-S will disappear the second you drive it off the lot.

Discontinued both on engine and model style. In a year or so, no one is going to want an ST-S when considering a Spyder purchase.

Maintenance costs are about half. Oil changes 9,500 or once a year on F3. ST-S: 4,500 intervals with recommended valve checks ($800) every 14,000 miles.

And, I would recommend a test drive on both. The seating, ride, and ergos are different on each.

Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No matter which model you buy I'd STRONGLY suggest the additional BEST 3 YR extended warranty. I wouldn't buy a Spyder without it.

Spyder Garage

another factor will be residual value. It will be/is much higher on the F3 since it is still in production and most people seem to prefer the 1330 and a 6th gear.

2015 F3 SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 or 998

I was coming from 2 wheels to 3. Rode both styles (motor) bikes and bought the F3-S. Love the torque and HP that the 1330 has. The laid back seat and forward pegs also made a big difference. Like others have said drive them both then pick which one you like.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please understand that I'm not saying that the STs aren't great bikes: they are!
    But the new bikes with the new engines and transmissions are that much better...
    And slower as the weight is added!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default how is your back?

If you have back problems, you would want to stick with an RT or RS so as to keep your feet under you. I will never be able to ryde the F3 any distance due to bone spurs on old fusions. You should be able to get a test ryde as BRP has brought the test ryde program back. Your dealer should have trained sales people plus a community advocate. Good luck.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post

Good luck!!!!
    I'm with you all the way on this. I was rear-ended last fall on my Ducati Monster 1200, and ended up with a fractured left wrist and torn LCL. I had LCL replacement surgery in January, and have realized I will no longer be comfortable riding two-wheelers, so I started looking at Spyders. I originally went into the dealer to look at a pre-owned F3, but after sitting on it, realized it was not going to work for me. They had a new "left-over" 2015 ST-S on the floor at a great price, and sitting on it was like night and day. Upright seating, no feet-forward stance, floor-boards instead of pegs -- a short test ride was all I needed! I've put about 1,000 miles on it in the last month and am looking forward to many, many miles more over the coming years. I would have appreciated the power of the 1330, but comfort is everything, especially for us old (71-yo) guys!
    I think I am, therefore I am. I think.
    George Carlin

'18 RT Limited Dark - Champagne
    '15 ST-S White/Orange (sold)
    '14 Ducati Monster 1200 (rear-ended)
    '12 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)
    '99 BMW R1100S (sold)
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

The 2K you save on the ST-S will disappear the second you drive it off the lot.

Discontinued both on engine and model style. In a year or so, no one is going to want an ST-S when considering a Spyder purchase.

Maintenance costs are about half. Oil changes 9,500 or once a year on F3. ST-S: 4,500 intervals with recommended valve checks ($800) every 14,000 miles.

And, I would recommend a test drive on both. The seating, ride, and ergos are different on each.

Let us know what you do.

I loved my STS but above post is right on.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    No matter which model you buy I'd STRONGLY suggest the additional BEST 3 YR extended warranty. I wouldn't buy a Spyder without it.
    If you cannot get the dealer to come down on price then you need to get him to throw in three more years of BEST warranty, personally I would start with both, the warranties really don't cost them much but they profit a ton from them.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 Leftover

New member here Harley owner 2009 Road Glide 62 yo dealing with cancer in remission lost 110lbs. Bought 2015 f3 base From Flatout MS in Indy for $12.499 out the door. Flew there and rode it back to New Orleans. Brand new with 2 year warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default differences between gas tank range and mpg

The maintenance intervals were what sold me on the F3, but also the gas. I ride about 15K miles per year, and the v-twins have about a 100 mile range before you need to fill up with gas and the triples have about a 200 mile range before you get gas.

Also the gas mileage. I got an avg of 30mpg with the v-twin and an average of 40mpg (39.5mpg avg in 154 fillups) with the triple. That adds up to a lot of $$.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Test Drive Both

It really comes down to comfort. Some just don't like the seating position on the F3. It suits me just fine, and it is even more comfortable than the RT. So if you find the F3 comfortable, that would be the way to go. One thing that has not been mentioned is that the F3 will handle better IMHO, than the StS, it has an even lower center of gravity and really hugs the road. In the long run you and your Butt have to be comfortable on that motorcycle.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.