Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default MOUNTING AREAS FOR GO-PRO

Can everyone that uses a Go-Pro, tell me where their favorite mounting position is and if it is one the bike itself, not the helmet, is there any vibration or shaking?
    I noticed in one of Lamont's videos I watched last night, that he had a mount on his left mirror, but they don't seem to me to be that steady, and would have alot of vibration.
    I was wondering about putting a mount right behind the windshield on top of the dash, and how much vibration that would get. Also hate to put a mount there, and decide to take it off top of dash, and whether it would leave an adhesive mess.
    I just go new helmet, and the last one was mounted on the center of the chin bar on a modular helmet. The new one can't be mounted in the same spot because of vent mechanism.
    Only problem about mounting to the bike is that you give up the option of panning left or right.
    Anyway thought and opinions.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Can everyone that uses a Go-Pro, tell me where their favorite mounting position is and if it is one the bike itself, not the helmet, is there any vibration or shaking?
    I noticed in one of Lamont's videos I watched last night, that he had a mount on his left mirror, but they don't seem to me to be that steady, and would have alot of vibration.
    I was wondering about putting a mount right behind the windshield on top of the dash, and how much vibration that would get. Also hate to put a mount there, and decide to take it off top of dash, and whether it would leave an adhesive mess.
    I just go new helmet, and the last one was mounted on the center of the chin bar on a modular helmet. The new one can't be mounted in the same spot because of vent mechanism.
    Only problem about mounting to the bike is that you give up the option of panning left or right.
    Anyway thought and opinions.
    If you go on any of the Go Pro forums (Google: Go Pro Forums) they'll tell you the best place is on the side of your helmet. There's too much wind if it's on top of your helmet (vibration) and there's too much vibration if it's mounted on the bike and you're unable to pan (up, down, left or right).
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem with my helmet, so I mounted the camera to the upper wind deflector on the left side. I used ram a ram ball mount screwed to the wind deflector and a ram arm with their ball mount for Go-Pro cameras. There is some vibration, but not bad. Using the shortest Ram arm possible will minimize the vibration. I had it mounted behind the windshield at one time, but got a reflection of the windshield mounting brackets in my pictures, and of course bugs on the windshield show up in your pictures.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no vibration or turbulence issues with my setup...
    (But I DO have to keep the bugs scraped-off the windshield! )

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have my camera mounted right behind the windshield like Bob does. I have it mounted directly to the dashboard using the twinstick that is provided with the mount. No vibrations. I tried mounting on my helmet but that did not work well when hitting higher speeds that I occasionally like to run. Bugs and glare can be a problem but the vids look good.

As hard and fast as I ride, I dont have time to pan the camera anyway.
    Last edited by Bam Bam and Pebbles; 04-17-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    As slow and easy as I ride... I don't either!
    I have added a Kamlock to the mount.
    (Made by the Kradellock folks)
    I don't have to worry too much about the camera disappearing!

Spyder Garage

I have run with the same setup that Bob Denman showed. I did not have issues with vibration, but I did get a lot of reflection from the windshield. I am also looking for other possible locations, but may leave it behind the windshield. Another plus for that mount, is protection from things getting kicked up and hitting the camera.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Default Camera mount

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1247373]The GoPro Setup 001.jpgThe GoPro Setup 002.jpgThe GoPro Setup 003.jpgDitto, except I use a much shorter arm. The camera takes out most of the effect of vibration.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Where did you get this "twinstick"? I was talking about mounting it directly to the top of dash

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have my camera mounted right behind the windshield like Bob does. I have it mounted directly to the dashboard using the twinstick that is provided with the mount. No vibrations. I tried mounting on my helmet but that did not work well when hitting higher speeds that I occasionally like to run. Bugs and glare can be a problem but the vids look good.

2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=LJspydee;1247444]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The GoPro Setup 001.jpgThe GoPro Setup 002.jpgThe GoPro Setup 003.jpgDitto, except I use a much shorter arm. The camera takes out most of the effect of vibration.
    I also changed to the shorter mount, once I realized that there was plenty of room for the camera in there...

Spyder Garage

I like mine on my helmet. No vibration. It looks where you look.

Mounting:

Example:

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting areas for go-pro

I purchased from Value Accessories Spyder RT RAM 1" ball compatable dash mount. Quick and easy install. Use a short double socket which minimizes vibration. The silver color of the mount reflects off of the windshield so I will paint it black. One of my best buys for my RT.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Where did you get this "twinstick"? I was talking about mounting it directly to the top of dash
    It came with the camera, and I also have access to some where I work. You can see in my signature photo, the camera just below my chin. I got a shorty windshield right after that photo was taken last year so I will have to raise that up an inch or two so it does not show in the video.
    Last edited by Bam Bam and Pebbles; 04-19-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Mount

I use the suction cup on the frunk - I built a tether that I loop back to the top of the dash, now that I picked up the bar from JT it will connect easily there, if the suction cup ever fails it swings down to the right or left and I can easily grab it without effort, however the suction cup has never come off even at 75+ MPH.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I did to mount my Go Pro on the 2012 RT I had. The pic is fuzzy because it's an enlarged portion of a larger pic. I made a block from PVC to fit that I taped to the headlight cowl with mounting tape. Then a made a swivel mount that I controlled with a wheel on the dash using bicycle brake cables. That way I could pan the camera back and forth. There was no tilt capability, but that really isn't much of a drawback since the Go Pro has a wide field of view, both vertically and horizontally.

Two problems with this setup. The location wasn't high enough to see clearly over roadside concrete or steel barriers. The pan control wasn't real easy to use. I haven't mounted the Go Pro on my 2014 RTS, yet, although I may. If I do I'll build a taller mount and use a small stepping motor and controller to do the panning.

To see what the camera was recording I used the Go Pro app on my tablet, the same one I use for GPS. I would switch to the Go Pro app when I wanted to record something and then back to the GPS app the rest of the time.

I tried mounting the Go Pro on my helmet. The resulting video would make you seasick watching it because of all the head movement. It was vibration free though, but so were the videos recorded off the mount in the pic.

One word of advice. Be very judicious in what you record for how long. Remember the old 8 mm family home movies your folks and aunts and uncles used to record back in the 50's? It's easy to fall into the trap of BOOOOOOORRRRRINNNNGGGGGGG hours of the same ol' scenery. Editing the video is a time consuming job, and the few video editing programs I've used are processor intensive and slow in generating the final copy after all the cutting is finished!

Close up Go Pro mount 3.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Or Build the tall Tripod mount that suctions to the Rear Trunk lid and both saddle bags and shoots over your head like Pierre Poliquin - Spyder TV did. For all the great riding vids I've seen his with the high mount have been the best views.
    On Youtube search for Spyder TV - Gopro mount tripod for Can Am Spyder RT and check out his Beartooth Highway vids
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Or Build the tall Tripod mount that suctions to the Rear Trunk lid and both saddle bags and shoots over your head like Pierre Poliquin - Spyder TV did. For all the great riding vids I've seen his with the high mount have been the best views.
    On Youtube search for Spyder TV - Gopro mount tripod for Can Am Spyder RT and check out his Beartooth Highway vids
    Great mounting system, but I wouldn't want to use it. One, I carry my duffel bag on the back seat and his mount would interfere with that. Two, it's just awfully big for a non-pro to be using, IMO. Three, I don't like seeing the rider's helmet all the time in the vid. And four, it sits up higher than I want it to.

For Pierre, who is making professional videos, it's just the ticket! I was surprised he didn't show it more completely in his video, or did I just not see the right vid? I didn't see the suction cup mount on the saddlebags. I've thought about a mount off the trunk but now that I've seen his I don't think I'll go that way.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I dont have one yet, but was doing my homework & found someone did thisimage.jpg i like it more because iv put decals on my windshield because i sit taller than it anyway. image.jpg I would go engraved but I like the colors more.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Great mounting system,...I was surprised he didn't show it more completely in his video, or did I just not see the right vid? ....
    Yes, there's several different vids where he even shows the development. You're right that he does that more as a professional than just a casual videographer as most Go Pro users (like me even) are. I just offered it up as one of the many alternatives out there. To each their own, I've tried all of Go Pro's cycle mounting suggested positions (on my old 2 wheel bikes) and tired of the common views I ended up getting. (But, then again, I have yet to ride the beartooth mountain passes and the Tail of the Dragon and such>>>)
    I do like the up front just above the Frunk out in front of the shield as well, I think I'll run my Go Pro Session up there. My 4 black is usually hanging off my 350 QX quad copter for local scenery and whatnot.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I do like the up front just above the Frunk out in front of the shield as well, I think I'll run my Go Pro Session up there. My 4 black is usually hanging off my 350 QX quad copter for local scenery and whatnot.
    The challenge with having it in front of the windshield, if you have it set up to pan, is to get it high enough to see over the barriers along the road without interfering with your view of the road ahead.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

We have some very clever and imaginative people on this site.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

On my last trip to NC I used the JT Dash bar with RAM mount and mounted my cell phone with Tech Grip on dash behind windshield. It did get a bit shaky as the dash bar is only held in place with 2 short screws. I'll try to post up one of the videos later.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Mine is mounted on the left side of my helmet. I am unwilling to give up the ability to pan by attaching it to the bike. Just my preference. YMMV.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Change it up.

Dash mount, mirror mount, suspension mount, forward backward, helmet mount - varied locations give a more interesting edited final video than just one unchanging point of view.

I've mounted ours on the mirror and also on a fairing alongside the frunk, as well as pointing backwards while leading a group.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow