Spyder Garage

Default DIY Mirror Magnets

First let me say that $100 for the Magic Mirrors Kit is worth it. If you always have to have a challenge and or you are cheap, then you understand why I decided to DIY. That and Blueknight did it and I didn't want him to be the only one.

List of parts:
    6x39# pull cup magnets (http://www.magnet4sale.com/39-lb-hol...net-1-mchn-25/) The cup increases the pull by 3X I believe.
    6x 6mmx35mm hex head bolts, got mine at Lowes.
    Some 16/18 gauge metal to replace the clips on the mirror.
    14x wood screws

Some closed cell or foam pipe insulation

Time.

First thing with the magnets, they have a 5mm hole in them and you need 6mm. These maqnets are like ceramic so just drilling a hole isn't the way to go. The cup is metal, so I took a 1/4" drill and enlarged the hole until I felt the magnet. I then took a Dremel with a diamond bit and enlarged the magnet hole to 6mm. It didn't happen but don't get the magnet very hot.

Take out the plastic clips in the mirror and duplicate in the sheet metal. I used a 1/2" drill for the center hole, the hex nut uses that hole to align the magnets. These magnets need to lay flat on the sheet metal. Therefore, you must also countersink the small holes and use a wood screw. I had to drill the plastic holes in the mirror to accommodate the thicker wood screws, 7/64".

The 2 bottom clips are the same. I had a HF air driven metal saw and thought, piece of cake. Wrong, POS tool. Cut it close and used grinder to make fit.

The magnets (front edge) is 10-11mm from plastic base. I used the foam as a spring to keep magnets in contact with the sheet metal. When you install the mirror you can play with the magnet standoff distance to make sure that they have full contact with the sheet metal. I didn't do it, but you could, with the Dremel, grind off the wood screw's head a bit to make that connection better.

As for a leach would use some fish line and a larger fish hook. I don't think it matters where you attach it on the bike side, I just dropped the hook in the large hole. Since I had added a screw into the front of the mirror where it overlaps the body, because my front clip never worked right, I just decided to keep using it. If you pull straight out on the mirror, you will have a hard time pulling if off. If you pull it from the front or the back, with that leverage, it does come loose pretty easy. Mike used a 45# pull magnet and is worried about it pulling the sheet metal tags out of the plastic.

IMO since the whole reason that we need this "farkle" is that the clips aren't worth a crap. I think that the 39# pull magnets and my single screw in the front, will be more than safe, riding the bike.

20170416_110644_resized.jpg20170416_110700_resized.jpg20170416_112828_resized.jpg Picture 2 shows bolts/magnets without the backing foam.20170416_153035_resized.jpg
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 04-16-2017 at 05:33 PM.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY MIRROR MAGNETS

. .... Nice Bill ...... and I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate how you left my assistance out of your narrative ...... because my E-mails to you about this project ( word length ) was at least 5 times as long as your Thread about how to do it.. ...... live and learn - live and learn ..... good luck with your next project ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, for your own protection I did not give you the credit that you deserve, but since your collaboration is out the closet, I'll give you the credit. You were indeed the pioneer/engineer on this project. The only thing missing were the pictures from you, so I have now provided them.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I looked at only using the bottom two magnets, but had purchased 6 so went ahead and used them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice job...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black