Spyder Garage

Default typical tire wear

I know there are many variables to consider on this question. But, does anyone have a guesstimate on how much wear a Kenda rear tire will wear down let's say over a 1,000 miles? I don't need a new tire, yet but I am going on a 3,000 mile trip later this spring. I'd like to put the miles on my current tire but I don't want to have to change a tire in the middle of my trip either. If I know of typical wear I can measure my existing tread against the "wear nub".

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To me it would be helpful to know how much mileage you have on that tire and possibly what the depth of tread is between the wear bar and the outside tread. The wear bars line up with the little triangle on the edge of the tire sidewall.
    I think it would be safe to assume approximately 6,000 miles plus or minus a couple thousand miles as an average of what people are getting from a rear Kenda. As you mentioned, the variable will affect that tire life.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELL

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    To me it would be helpful to know how much mileage you have on that tire and possibly what the depth of tread is between the wear bar and the outside tread. The wear bars line up with the little triangle on the edge of the tire sidewall.
    I think it would be safe to assume approximately 6,000 miles plus or minus a couple thousand miles as an average of what people are getting from a rear Kenda. As you mentioned, the variable will affect that tire life.

Gary
    ........ Another factor will be if it's the old compound Kenda or new compound Kenda....... This I will tell you the tire is garbage and the wear increases as it wears ( slower 0 to 3000...3000 to 6000 much quicker )... they don't last very long on the rear ...... 6,000 is a safe guess ....if you are near this just get a General Altimax RT43 in 215/60-15 and be done for about 35,000 miles....... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up +1

My stock tire was done at 6500 miles. Put on the General noted above and couldn't be happier.

OEM rear tire causes ::::::::::::::::: Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

If you're planning on putting on 4K miles this year, that's about the true life span of the Kenda. Sometimes it will go further, as noted, if it's the new compound, but nonetheless it not a very good tire. Don't forget the Kenda's always wear in the middle and will be bald in the middle while still having tread on the outside no matter what inflation.

I too have the General Altimax on the back. It's okay, but mine is about done in about 16K miles. It would probably go to 18K, but I won't do that because I've got some trips planned and I don't like to push tire life.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

6,000 miles for the OEM Kenda seems like a safe bet.
    I'm at 12,000 miles on a Kumho, and still have a bunch of good riding time left with it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Mileage

I have a 2015 RTS with over 7000 miles on my stock tire and wouldn't hesitate to do another 3000 on it. Tread still looks fine, middle and outside. Must be the newer compound. Depends on type of mileage also. Are you mainly going interstates and straight roads or are you going to be doing a lot of aggressive driving on the twisties? If in doubt, replace it!

Spyder Garage

Default TYRE MILEAGE

I got over 10,000 on the original Kenda and could have maybe another thousand or two, but I didn't want to push my luck..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep........

6k, number one on BRP's junk parts list.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I know there are many variables to consider on this question. But, does anyone have a guesstimate on how much wear a Kenda rear tire will wear down let's say over a 1,000 miles? I don't need a new tire, yet but I am going on a 3,000 mile trip later this spring. I'd like to put the miles on my current tire but I don't want to have to change a tire in the middle of my trip either. If I know of typical wear I can measure my existing tread against the "wear nub".
    Of course you had to ask the question in a way that most have not calculated.

Overall, on 5 assorted , I have had similar results. 20K to 25K on the fronts, and 12K to 15K on the rear. Yes, I have used the OEM Kendas. The only major difference was the 2014 which came with a softer rubber compound. I got 8.9K out of that one. New fronts on the 2014 Monday. 23K and the tread looks good. But, I want to get a full season, so I am making the change before its needed.

I would change out the tires before the trip. Peace of mind, "priceless."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

on the current Kenda compound, not the soft compound they had for the 2014s (and... I have stuck with the Kenda because my dealership won't install anything else and going elsewhere has been a major hassle), I got about 12K on the rear tire and about 24K on the fronts for my RT. I'm a bit more rough on the F3 tires, and have only gotten about 10K on the rear tire and 18-20K on the fronts.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

We got approx. 7500 mi on both our 2015 F3s. Not good. Just changed the front with Hankook Ventus 4 and rear with Kumho Ecsta AST. Much better ride and handling. Using lower pressure 14.5 front and 23 rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run the General Altimax tire and it has this cool tread wear indicator feature that starts out with the words "Replacement Tire Indicator" in three places at the center of the tire. When the tire is ready to be replaced it changes to Read "Replace Tire". I started my recent trip with "Indicator" still showing but over the course of 4,500 miles it went to "Replace Tire". I'm not on my laptop so I don't have access to my spreadsheet with how many total miles I had on it but just wanted to share so you know what you might expect on your trip.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder RT with about 11K miles on it. It now has 17k. It has Kenda tires so my machine is either got amazing mileage out of the tires (yes, wear is heavier down the middle of the tire. Edges actually look good.) or new ones were placed on the Spyder before I bought it. Looks like I need to find a dealer who will install non-OEM tires.

Spyder Garage

I have gotten 16,000 miles on my rear tire on a 2009 GS and 2012 RT BUT I live in CT where the temps are cooler and maybe the roads are better and I don,t do LONG higher speed trips where tires would possibly wear quicker?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have gotten 16,000 miles on my rear tire on a 2009 GS and 2012 RT BUT I live in CT where the temps are cooler and maybe the roads are better and I don,t do LONG higher speed trips where tires would possibly wear quicker?
    I'm sure that does have a lot to do with it. In the hot deserts of the Southwest where a lot of the roads are chip sealed, tires wear out quickly. My 2014 Kenda with the soft compound only last 4k miles and it was really done before that, but I pushed it a little.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Good tire thread :-)

Just read a couple of other threads and now this one - I'm have the same dilemma as Scotts8826.

We have 6k. on the original Kenda's, with remaining tread of 1/32 on the rear and 2/32 on fronts. With a big trip approaching I don't want to be hunting down a dealership on the east coast for a tire change.

From what I've gathered so far the rear Kenda will be done anywhere between 4k and 11k, depending on road type and riding style --- and I'm sure also on solo or 2-up.
    The fronts fare a little better, anywhere between 10 to 20k -- large swing there !!

I've decided to change out all 3 tires to Kumho Ecsta's (cause my dealer stocks them) before the trip for peace of mind.

Thanks to ya'll
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Mine lasted 9,500 miles.

Spyder Garage

How old is your tire? You can find it on the sidewall; it's the last string of numbers in the DOT information on the tire. The manufacture date is in a small oval and is expressed in weeks and year, e.g., 2814. If the tire is earlier than 2814 it's probably the older, softer compound that, based on the two I've gone through, is probably good for 7,000 or so. I'm on my third tire, the current one being the new, harder compound on which I have almost 11,000 miles, some of which has been on "spirited" riding in the NC mountains.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We got around 4-5000mi out of our Kenda rear. As far as estimating wear/1000mi though, you can't. Too many variables including load, road surface, tire pressure/temperatures etc. In our case, two up, twisty roads, spirited riding. They're going to wear differently if you cruise the interstate riding solo.

Also, with tires I have concluded that wear is non-linear. You seem to get accelerated wear the more miles you have on a tire. I have run new tires that seem to wear great, and almost used up tires that looked good for another 300mi, but come home corded after 100mi.
    Last edited by asp125; 05-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow