Spyder Garage

Default Stock Seat issues

So finally got the bike out and started riding around but wife complains of the seating hurting her butt. These are not even long rides, 20 minutes or so but she is complaining. I don't start getting ache for at least an hour or 2. My biggest problem is getting pain in my upper back.

I thought about the comfort seat but from people, I've spoken to say that it's not any better on the butt. So what are my other options? How can I try other seats before dropping $500+ on a seat only to find out i HATE it or she HATES it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

Motorcycle Dave a sponsor here and can get you set up with gel on your stock seat.. there are other options like sheepskin, air hawks, beaded seat cushion etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Air hawk is your cheapest quickest first option. I spent more than $500 on a replacement seat but it was well worth the money.

Spyder Garage

I have replaced five out of five OEM Spyder seats. IMO, they are mush. My two current 's have the BRP Comfort seat on them. IMO--much better padding than OEM, additional lumbar support, and set back 2.5 inches for the driver. I can ride all day on the comfort seat. The OEM--one hour and that was about it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First off I am no expert, looks like last year you picked up a 2009 rs, how many miles did it have on it, reason I am asking is if the rear shock is bad, that could cause soreness. Then no seat will help. On my RT I rode for over a year with a blown shock from the get go and did not realize it until I rode to spyderfest 1700 miles and had what they call monkey butt- (dang even the word sounds gross.) After the Shock was replaced at Cowtown under warranty, life was good. Don't know if your rear shock is the same, but with no one on the bike and pushing down on the rear of the bike and letting go the rear would bounce a little, and it shouldn't.

My original dealership misdiagnosed the condition and gave me wrong info. Since this was my first and only spyder and also a first year touring model had no info to go over......................

.................Now if that doesn't help I want to share my novice thinking here. I have a custom corbin seat. Corbin seats are known for being very hard. Less bounce in the cush means a happier longer ride. Race car seats don't have lots of padding and those drivers are going to be in the cockpit for a long long time. They don't want to be moving around.

One more thing, do you have a back rest and do you have foot pegs? Not sure on an RS if you would because your riding position is slightly different than mine. But remember before I use to have to grip hard with my thighs to feel secure on the bike. And once I added floorboards and highway pegs along with a back rest, a complete change in ride feel. So much more control. I have tried 3 different types of pegs, and they all did the job of locking/anchoring me in the seat. The above photo is old, I believe seal floorboards are made for the RS if it is auto. While I am typing this, does the passenger have a back rest too? That can help.

Before with the OEM I would go about 250 miles and that was enough, of course that was also partly with the bum shock. The Corbin was able to go 400 miles with bum shock, and with corbin and working rear stock shock 700 miles, butt and back fine, just worn out from ride.

Let us know what solution works for you!

Best,

TicketBait

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your Best-Half isn't happy after 20 minutes: something needs to be done...
    But what?
    Sheepskin seat cover?
    Change her foot-peg position?
    Airhawk?
    Backrest?
    Aftermarket seating?

These are some ideas of where to look for improvements; there are others.

Oh! Here's another option:

Have you considered trading for an RT?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

@ Chupaca: I will give motorcycle Dave a holla and see what he will suggest. Thanks

@ Dieselenginge9: I don't have a problem dropping the money just want to make sure I don't get a seat we both hate. I would also like to get something which has lumbar support for me if possible.

@ akspyderman: I've gotten mixed reviews about the comfort seat from people that is might / might not make a difference. Maybe the only option for me now would be to take the plunge and try it I guess

@ TicketBait: I haven't actually checked that but I'll try it and let you know. I have the bike outside in the parking lot so I'll go over at lunch and see what you suggested. Also, I just did the maintenance with my friend who is a mechanic and he did not mention anything. But doesn't hurt to try it.

@ Bob Denman: We have a backrest for her, so def looking at aftermarket seating and what not. And Noooooo please don't suggest that because I've been looking at the RT models and they look way too tempting. This is my first season with the and I wasn't sure how I was going to like it so I got the "sporty" one but I will think about upgrading since we want to take trips. I was also thinking of adding floor board for her and highway pegs for me!

Spyder Garage

I know ultimate will give you 30 days to try with money back guarantee

Spyder Garage

If the comfort seat puts the rider 2" back then it must steal the space from the passenger & it is your passenger who is already complaining.

I have the comfort seat on my '08 & love it. I don't carry a passenger
    Last edited by oldgoat; 04-13-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Found someone on the fourms selling a ultimate seat. What do you guys think about that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    Found someone on the fourms selling a ultimate seat. What do you guys think about that?

I love my Ultimate Tall Boy but I don't carry a passenger.

Spyder Garage

Default Stock Spyder Seat

So finally got the bike out and started riding around but wife complains of the seating hurting her butt. These are not even long rides, 20 minutes or so but she is complaining. I don't start getting ache for at least an hour or 2. My biggest problem is getting pain in my upper back.

I thought about the comfort seat but from people, I've spoken to say that it's not any better on the butt. So what are my other options? How can I try other seats before dropping $500+ on a seat only to find out i HATE it or she HATES it.

I purchased a preowned 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 in magnesium silver. It came with the stock seat, and the stitching was starting to separate near the front of the seat. Had thought about the BRP electrically heated comfort seat, (available on 2014 and later Spyders) but was told by the dealer's service department, could not be used. As it would have required custom wiring which would have been expensive. So I ordered a Corbin seat, electrically heated, with the fuel filler door and rider backrest. One can custom tailor their seat at Corbin. Now, the wife and I certainly don't have any complaints, but that's us. And with severe scoliosis, a backrest is essential, and makes the ride all that much more comfortable. It's unfortunate that such seats can't be had with a vibration, or massaging feature as well. So it would be more like a home Lazy Boy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

@ Bob Denman: We have a backrest for her, so def looking at aftermarket seating and what not. And Noooooo please don't suggest that because I've been looking at the RT models and they look way too tempting. This is my first season with the and I wasn't sure how I was going to like it so I got the "sporty" one but I will think about upgrading since we want to take trips. I was also thinking of adding floor board for her and highway pegs for me!
    The backrest is a GREAT start!
    BRP sells (or at least used to sell) footpeg mounting extensions. They would lower the pegs (and presumably 'boards also), and move them forward a bit...
    You might want to try that.
    It's a relatively cheap thing to try.
    Cheaper than a new seat anyway!

Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Have an ultimate tall boy also nice seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Part of her problem may be more in the seating position than the actual seat itself. If you are sitting with your legs bent on an RS that would put more pressure on your rear end and would get uncomfortable quickly. The RT would be a much better option and how better to get her to agree to one than to let her know how much more comfortable it will be.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    I purchased a preowned 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 in magnesium silver. It came with the stock seat, and the stitching was starting to separate near the front of the seat. Had thought about the BRP electrically heated comfort seat, (available on 2014 and later Spyders) but was told by the dealer's service department, could not be used. As it would have required custom wiring which would have been expensive. So I ordered a Corbin seat, electrically heated, with the fuel filler door and rider backrest. One can custom tailor their seat at Corbin. Now, the wife and I certainly don't have any complaints, but that's us. And with severe scoliosis, a backrest is essential, and makes the ride all that much more comfortable. It's unfortunate that such seats can't be had with a vibration, or massaging feature as well. So it would be more like a home Lazy Boy.
    Well I have seen small 12v. pads that could be used on the Spyder that do offer vibration , massage and or heat on E-bay ................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Once again thanks for the feedback.

@ Bob: Will def try the footpeg

@ SpyderAnn: I will def look into an RT now. Won't be for this season but got to keep my eyes peeled.

Spyder Garage

Seats that work for one may not work for others. I am the guy with the Ultimate for sale that is too small for my butt. One thing I've learned about seats over the years and many bikes is they must be FLAT. The RS OEM seat is rounded and soft. Think about sitting in any chair with a high spot in the middle and then slopes off to each side, All custom seats are flat or concave with support on sides. You can pile sheep skins, air bladders and gel pads on the oem seat with little to no improvement. Think about the seats you sit in around your house or at work, movies, anywhere, they are not round.

There are local seat guys in most areas around the country where you bring him the seat and he will put in firmer foam and make it flat for less money than any custom seat maker. There is a guy near my NC home, Mean City Cycles, he will improve most OEM seats for about $150. Don Hendrickson near my AZ home will do the same. Mean City has a website, You can find Don's number at any AZ MC dealer or by Google. I'm sure you can find a seat guy near you.
    2010 GS SE5 red and black
    1982 Honda GL650 (showroom condition)
    2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi Give me a call

Looks like you are riding the same thing I have and my wife hated her seat as well,
    I have been installing medical grade GEL with memory foam into seats for 20+ years
    this is usually the cure, it is the same thing used in hospital beds and chairs for people
    who are in the same position for long periods of time, it is made to stop bed sores and
    pressure points. I have it made for me by the MFG. that makes the hospital products
    you can install it yourself it is easy done with simple hand tools you will find instructions
    on my website on how to do it, remove the pain in your A$$ for only $79.95
    Feel free to call me 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave