Spyder Garage

Default Cost to Ship a Seat

Am I missing something? I have a stock 2012 RTS Spyder seat and backrest for sale and have dropped the price down to $50.00.
    I think part of the not selling problem is that it can cost up to $120.00 to ship the seat by USPS
    or UPS depending on the distance. Am I missing something and is there a cheaper way to ship. I'm sure others have had the high shipping cost to deal with.

Spyder Garage

I shipped a comfort seat by USPS from Arkansas to Kentucky and the cost was around 65.00. But that was a short distance, but distance & size of the box is a deciding factor in the cost. I checked rates from Arkansas to Calif. and it was over double that price.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

It has to do with the seat requiring an oversized carton. You get a $25 to $50 surcharge due to the size. Get the smallest carton you can but I've paid $65+ to ship a seat from GA to NJ.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have shipped my seat to RDL in CA from MI twice, roughly $120.00 each time.....SUCKS. Needed a slight modification done by RDL, mod was free, cost $120.00 ship.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default FL to PA today

I have a new seat shipping today from Diamond Custom Seats in FL to PA today and the costs is $85.00...(UPS) larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Cost to Ship a Seat

I paid FED EX $85 to ship my original seat to Russell Day Long from Wisconsin to California. Had to resend it FED EX for an adjustment and was $136 because the seat was now bigger and heavier [oversize box]. UPS drop center was higher, company store was even higher yet.That's why a person wants to sell a seat has to practically give a seat away if shipping is involved. Sad but true.........safe riding!
    Last edited by trikerbiker645; 04-13-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sent my seat to Dave in CA from NJ and it was something like $40. Send it USPS and stress sending it "freight". It used to be called "parcel post". Don't think there is any insurance or tracking...In case that's important to you.

Spyder Garage

Put it on a greyhound!!!
    I am being serious too. I have shipped several larger items via greyhound and shipping is VERY reasonable.

Spyder Garage

The last Corbin seat/backrest I shipped to the lower 48, I lost my shirt. I charged the buyer $150. The actual cost was $250+. I used UPS shipping store and insured the seat for $400. Not going to do that again.

I had to look at that deal as a bunch of "sunk" cost.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The last Corbin seat/backrest I shipped to the lower 48, I lost my shirt. I charged the buyer $150. The actual cost was $250+. I used UPS shipping store and insured the seat for $400. Not going to do that again.

I sold a gas tank off a motorcycle to a guy in Alaska once. Sold the tank for $25 and charged $15 to ship it. It ended up costing a little over $60 to ship it. Lost money on that deal!!!
    Oh well, you live and learn.

Spyder Garage

Default shipping cost for seats

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have shipped my seat to RDL in CA from MI twice, roughly $120.00 each time.....SUCKS. Needed a slight modification done by RDL, mod was free, cost $120.00 ship.
    Sent mine from Kalamazoo to RDL in CA for less than $80.00 USPS.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Never ever use a ups store. They are independently owned and charge 3 times as much as ups does.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHIPPING SEATS

Last year I bought a stock seat from a member here ..... He shipped it from Texas to Vermont in a homemade box for $ 50.00 .....UPS to my door .............. I don't know how He did it for that price, but it was listed on the box as that price........ He may have brought to the terminal in Tx. to ship it , rather than home pk-up or a UPS retail shipping store. But I do know it wasn't at a Comm. shipping rate ......... it can be done ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

It's the size that's killing you. FedEx is cheaper than UPS or USPS on larger items.. but it's still gonna be expensive.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Shipping costs

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    Am I missing something? I have a stock 2012 RTS Spyder seat and backrest for sale and have dropped the price down to $50.00.
    I think part of the not selling problem is that it can cost up to $120.00 to ship the seat by USPS
    or UPS depending on the distance. Am I missing something and is there a cheaper way to ship. I'm sure others have had the high shipping cost to deal with.

Have you tried FedEx or Greyhound?

Spyder Garage

Because of the size, they weight the box for shipping purposes. Ship shop I use said, drop 50lb bag of stone in the box with the seat. It would cost the same $$. Sounds wacky. But true. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

If you live anywhere between Illinois to south Dakota you can use spee Dee delivery. They are cheap and only charge by wieght not size.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue