Spyder Garage

Default ST-S Fluids question

I am assuming, because of the color, odor, and very slight taste on the tip of the tongue, that the small orange colored 2-inch puddle of fluid underneath of my Spyder the next day after riding, is coolant.

Saturday, I strip down the lower panels and find evidence of coolant leaking onto the bottom cover panel and dripping out of a small weep hole. I clean up everything and re-assemble the parts. I ride Sunday.

Monday, I see more liquid underneath the Spyder. I take off the lower panels again and again find orange liquid on the inside of the bottom cover panel and a large drop hanging off of the lower radiator hose junction with the radiator.

So, after having done 5 150-200 mile rides during my ownership, I have found such a puddle everytime on my garage floor.

I take it in today for its 600 mile check-up and voice my concern.

They pressure test the system and cannot find any issues (after everything has been warmed up).

They show me a small puddle underneath the bike and tell me it is gasoline in its odor. I know that gasoline on a concrete surface will usually be absorbed or evaporate very quickly. This one is still wet and slightly slimy. They also state that the Spyder's coolant is not orange, but reddish-pink in color.

They are perplexed. I state my concern over the hose clamps, which are squeeze-clamped into place without any means of removal or adjustment. I have never been comfortable with those type of clamps. They are keeping the bike overnite and will do further research tomorrow.

I certainly hope that I am not on a path to bad luck with this first service visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Glad you caught whatever it is early Hope all turns out ok, fyi my '13 had similar issue when the thermostat developed a leak was at 25k miles, tho was covered by warranty too
    Good techs will get you backSoon & have you topped off with some fresh fluid

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure as to why you are having this puddle of fluid but the good news is it's under warranty and it's on the BRP credit card! Hope they rectify the problem soon good luck.
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I've never had a crimp clamp leak. I have, however, had the one worm gear clamp (on the hose from the bottom of the coolant tank to the top of the water pump) leak several times. Each time I tightened the clamp and it stopped leaking. You might want to check that.

Do a search; it's been mentioned and discussed several times over the years about the 998 engines.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer is a moron if they cannot tell the difference between fuel and coolant. That is a coolant leak and I don't believe for a second they pressure tested the system. Probably good they didn't pull the bike apart. It can be from one of the clamps near the radiator/thermostat, from the coolant bottle as they are known to crack, or from the water pump shaft weep hole.
    Take it to a different dealer....Good luck!

Spyder Garage

I just went through a similar problem with my ST. It ended up being the crimp clamps up under the airbox where the hoses go into a plastic junction type box then into the cylinders. I popped off the old clamps and replaced them with a quality screw type clamp.
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

So, anyway, a follow-up........

After my visit to my dealer a few weeks back regarding my "fluid leaking" issue, I was advised that the entire system was pressure tested several times, both hot and cold, without any discovered issues. It was attributed to being "possibly from the charcoal canister" and might take a few hundred miles to disappear completely. Translation - don't overfill your gas tank, but keep an eye on it anyway.

500 miles and 4 rides later......

Wednesday and Thursday, I was busy installing my new Ultimate Seat w/rider backrest, Spyderpops grips and bumperskid, and Bajaron sway bar. Removing the lower cover panels to access the bolts for the sway bar install, I found this:

Picture 1 is the right bottom inside cover panel directly below the radiator.
    Picture 2 is the connection at the radiator bottom and lower hose.
    Picture 3 is a short distance away from the connection on the bottom hose.

I take these pictures to the dealer who looks surprised and says to bring it back next week and they will look at it again. I express my concern over that lower Oetiker clamp being wiggly and ask if I can take it off and install a regular screw clamp in place, unless BRP has any objections.

I go home and take a small thin flat bladed screwdriver and place the tip into the clamped area. I give it a very slight tap, which causes the clamped area to expand less than a half of a millimeter. The coolant starts dripping immediately almost in a solid stream. I grab something to catch it.

I finally get the clamp off and find the hose to be very movable back and forth. This movement causes different amounts of coolant flow. Most radiator hoses that I have installed in past have always taken at least a little effort to slide over a metal joint connection. On goes the screw clamp and stops the flow. I make sure it is tight enough so that I cannot move it or wiggle it at all. Everything gets re-assembled.

Today was a most glorious day weatherwise so I go for long 200+ mile ride. No signs of any fluid coming from the small weep holes in the cover panel, but I will check tomorrow.

The good points - the Ultimate Seat was fantastic. I did not install my Airhawk cushion or sheepskin cover and came home feeling a whole lot better than any previous ride. The sway bar made a tremendous difference in the handling. The ride felt more solid and controlled and much more stable on the curves and turns. I like them both very much.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac